Bonnet / Boot Struts

Good morning people, looking at a few little jobs on the car. Anyone got preferences for make of struts on 1982 911 SC ? I heard the OEM replacements are a bit light on and don't last too long....... 

I ordered Heavy Duty engine lid struts from Pelican with a few other items which helped offset freight costs.  My 3.2 has a tea tray tail and the original failing struts were positioned next to each other on one side of the hinge (not ideal).  The new struts were Weltmeister and the force required to close them manually was noticeable.  I fabricated an extra bracket to fit a strut to each hinge.  It was a bit fiddly given the position and clearances needed but very happy with the end result, much nicer to balance the weight out over two hinges and the lid closes more evenly.  I think the turbo cars came standard with a bracket on each hinge to even out the loads.

When I needed to get the hood struts replaced, I just got them locally through my mechanic and they've been fine.

If your SC doesn't have a tail, I think you would be OK with standard struts.

Get heavy duty ones, or you can have the originals regassed. I did it with the 912 hood struts, as the new ones were crap, so i had them regassed. I also Changed both the decklid struts on my SC, and the new ones were hopeless, so I got my money back, and am using the custom stick that was with the car when I bought it ?

Lee it definitely seems to be a hit and miss affair with these struts. Some people swear by the Weltmeister and some have had failures within 3 months! Can't say I have heard anything form 'Porsche' supplied units but there doesn't seem to be much in it after you allow for US/AUD conversion and freight!

Mine were from Sierra Madre, and I ordered them correctly (I double check when I order anything), yet didn't work as soon as I fitted them, so I sent them back and grabbed some other bits with the credit. A mate supplied me one or 2, and they only just worked, so I had them regassed twice, as they didn't work after the first regas. All up, a bloody annoying process! If they fail on the SC hood, I'll find another stick to use! ?

I just ordered a set of "OEM Stabilus" tailgate struts from a bloke off Ebay - they are crap.  I have just asked for my money back.  They are worse than the original struts I was replacing.  I had ordered a pair from BWA but when they arrived they had been packed very poorly & were very scratched- very disappointing as BWA had always been good in the past.  They did refund my money reasonably quickly.  What a pain.  I will refit my old struts & look at getting some original Stabilus struts.

Jesus that's pretty disappointing............I am tempted to go to the Porsche dealer now,just so I don't have all the freight costs involved if I have to return failed struts. What is it with these things,seems to be a major problem.

Mine were from Sierra Madre, and I ordered them correctly (I double check when I order anything), yet didn't work as soon as I fitted them, so I sent them back and grabbed some other bits with the credit. A mate supplied me one or 2, and they only just worked, so I had them regassed twice, as they didn't work after the first regas. All up, a bloody annoying process! If they fail on the SC hood, I'll find another stick to use! ?

Im on the lookout for a new stick at the moment.

Had a set fitted at a "go over everything" service at a dealership, Lasted a month if lucky brought an aftermarket set from some where, They lasted a week longer for half the price , Engine lid no problems just the frunk, @LeeM has the answer a good stick (or extension roller pole) does the job no more frunk latch dings in your head 

Maybe it's time somone designed a better product...........looks like there is a market for it!

There is.

Either the adjustable boot/hatch latch on a Honda S600/800, or there is an alternative I looked into couple years ago for the 912. Not cheap, so I didn't buy one, but they're some sort of lockable strut for 911 hoods

Archived