What tyre do you use?

Guest vas930

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Theo the tread does look awesome.

I've got 18's on now and only need the rears which is a pain my fronts still have 80% tread left.

Might look the TOYO's up, look forward to hearing how they go on yours.

Guest Nick987

I didn't care much about tyres and had Dunlop sport on the 996. Fronts were old originals from factory and came with free under steer - as much as I liked, no extra charge.

I was recommended Michelin pilot sport N2 (Porsche rated) and my god it was like the front got a railway track to ride on.

Never imagined a set of tyres could make such a difference.

987 came with conti sport contact 2 n0 (zero) rated and not as bad as the dunlops, a little squeely when pushed, good grip in wet or dry and give predictably but meh just another tyre.

Did stage 3 PI on them and when they heated up got really sticky and lively. Not bad but couldn't wait to get the michelins on.

Got the rears done at last. Fronts still contis for a month or so before they are due.

Have toe/camb adjusted mild track setting from PI.

Rears are now railed and front contis are under steering as the rears are so grippy.

Can't wait for the fronts. I actually feel these michelin tyres bite in harder at the point the old rear contis let go.

I can't believe what the michelins have done for my car. Wet or dry no difference. Total grip and control. No noise or protest. Complete precision and turn in, take whatever i throw at them with a shrug and another half cig puffin drag like a true frenchman with more tenacious bite on the Tarmac. Made mine a new car.

I would go hungry and force the family onto beans and rice to put these on mine and for me there is no other consideration. If you haven't tried them I cannot urge you enough to bite the bullet. They will transform how your car handles.

They aren't that much more than alot of top shelf tyres but aren't a cheap tyre.

P recommend an N rated tyre. Service guys at PCM all agree that the PS2 N2 are the best performing tyre and if they could they would insist it as the only fitment.

Nothing else I have spent my automotive money on in 20 years of driving have stunned me and thrilled me and surprised me as much as these michelins on my P's.

I can't stress enough how much joy they bring me every moment I'm driving.

Guest Nick987

I wish there was some way you could all try before you buy. If I had the money I would buy and invite you to pay me if you agreed with me and if not, gift them to every serious P driver I feel so strongly about them. But I don't have the cash to do this and it is your money and at the end of the day you may not feel the same way.

I can say though the transformation to my driving has made me a raving lunatic and number one fan for these straps.

Guest Nick987

Just checked and was shocked but not surprised that in the last 15 years EVERY LeMans winner was riding Michelins...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans_winners

And they have been the tyre of 21 LeMans wins going back to 1923.

Goodyear = 14 wins

Dunlop have the most wins overall but only up until 1991.

The rest of the winners were riding Firestone, Avon, Pirelli and Continental with only one win each except Firestone with three between the '50's to '70's.

Not that is has much impact on a lowly road tyre but with anything race their tech must filter down to the performance end of the road tyres they design and manufacture so it is not surprising to me...

Guest vas930

The most important results for us is what the Targa Tas and tarmac rally guys use.

This is the type of tyre all but the daily drivers should be looking at.

You could spend anything on shocks and springs and never gain what you would from good tyres.

More for us with the older cars, you will never go back to a straight road tyre

Guest Nick987

Thanks for the correction Vas, that makes total sense and more meaningful than LeMans wins. Will go see if I can find some infor in targa tas winners...

thats an awesome looking tyre!!

Certainly about time they were changed. Rubber would have hardened up a little by now.

$650 each is a massive amount of money and totally unnecessary in a street driven 993.

Are you running 17s or 18s? The Hankook Ventus V12 Evos I am runing are more than capable or doing the job and the 993 gets pushed quite regularly!

All that for about $1100 on 17s. I am however about to receive a new set of 18 rims any day and will be ordering TOYO R1Rs to suit.

Impeccable reviews, great value for money and you can social track these babies any day of the week.

PXR1R_1.png

Guest vas930

Thanks for the correction Vas, that makes total sense and more meaningful than LeMans wins. Will go see if I can find some infor in targa tas winners...

Not a correction, Nick.

What you say is right also.

I was just giving my opinion. :)

The most important results for us is what the Targa Tas and tarmac rally guys use.

This is the type of tyre all but the daily drivers should be looking at.

You could spend anything on shocks and springs and never gain what you would from good tyres.

More for us with the older cars, you will never go back to a straight road tyre

That is a very interesting way to look at thins Vas. It really is a "real world" test track!!

Guest Nick987

I just got the Michelin Pilot Sport N2's fitted to my fronts 235/35/19's for tomorrow's SMT 'enduro' to Winton and back and can I just say...with only 60ks of scrub so far...and mind I have never had a p with them ALL ROUND EACH CORNER until now...

Oh

My

GOD

some corners I take on my way home, you know the ones you can do with your eyes closed...those...

With 15-20% more attack and no slip, squeel, slide or protest...just progressive bite and tighter turn in

JUST TRACTION MADNESS !

Thank you again Theo for saving me about $580 for the pair by flicking me your supplier. At the price I paid, made em cheaper than goodyears for the Territory!

Nick. Looks like you may be waiting for us on the way to Winton!!

I have enough troubles keeping up with you on the twisties.

You know you planted a seed of doubt on my mind a couple of days ago and I haven't ordered the TOYOs yet!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see the boys could help you.

Just chatted with the guys at Tire Rack in the States and spent some time on the Rennlist 993 forum.

I am now even more confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R1Rs are super sticky and very soft. A little more track orientated, but that's ok. Good for about 10,000 miles.

Pilot Super Sports are replacing the PS2s and (they reckon) are an improvement??? Good for about 15,000 miles

Then he says the Potenza RE-11 is best of the lot, followed by the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1, then the TOYO R1R.

Now this has probably something to do with me telling him I wasn't worried about wear!

The way I'm going my rims will rust before they get to see a set of tyres!

Just to further complicate things, I have seen comparisons between the R1R and the new Hancook Ventus RS3's. Again great value for the performance (dont need to worry about the wear as much given the dollars in comparison tyres). I personally would rather spend my money on a dedicated track tyre and run less high end road tyres.................(its nice to have a bit of cheap slide on the way to the shops!)

Either way, enjoy the run tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

Settled on Dunlop Dirreza Star Specs from Stuckey Tyres in Brunswick.

Good guys, great advice, competitive.......................And they stick like peanut butter to the roof of your mouth. :D :D :D

Guest vas930

Settled on Dunlop Dirreza Star Specs from Stuckey Tyres in Brunswick.

Good guys, great advice, competitive.......................And they stick like peanut butter to the roof of your mouth. :D :D :D

Wise move. ;)

I have Dunlop DZ03G R's on the front and Toyo PXR888's on the rear. Combination was recommended by Stuckey's and they work very well on the track once they have warmed up. Haven't really had them in the rain yet (apart from our river crossings last weekend when they worked a treat!). Being a soft compound they wear fairly quickly, however my car is only used occasionally and most of it is for track work, so fit for my purpose.

Mike

Archived