What tyre do you use?

Guest vas930

I didn't realise but was told that Stuckys look after all the Dunlop Motorsport supply. Jeff there was really helpful. Made my decision easy, although I had a good idea these were the ones. No damage to the rims which was a bonus.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was advised by Russell (at Stuckeys) that there were two reasons.

1. Dunlop do not make a tyre to suit the 225/50 R15 rims that I have on the rear (hence needed another brand that does supply)

2. He recommends a softer/stickier compound on the front (and hence a harder to the rear - which the Toyo's are)

I guess I have gone with his recommendation given his vast experience in track tyres and the older P's. I am not really experienced enough on the track yet to notice the precise difference, however it is handling well for me, and Daniel Gaunt (professional race driver) has driven my car at 85-90% as was impressed by its handling ability (most of which I would put down to the tyres as I have made only minor adjustments to the suspension.

Hope this makes sense?!

Mike

• 1 month later...

I was advised by Russell (at Stuckeys) that there were two reasons.

1. Dunlop do not make a tyre to suit the 225/50 R15 rims that I have on the rear (hence needed another brand that does supply)

2. He recommends a softer/stickier compound on the front (and hence a harder to the rear - which the Toyo's are)

Mike

Hi Mike,

What size rims are you using? I am trying to decide on track tyres to fit on a set of 15's that I picked up recently. The setup on your Carrera sounds like a good fit for my SC. There was absolutely no way I could match your corner speed with my road tyres (Bridgestone RE001) and going by the pic of you exiting turn 3 at Sandown you have more than enough grip.

Harv.

Guys,

Has anyone brought tyres in from the US? Tirerack and treaddepot dont export to Australia and I wanted to bring a set of Michelin Pilor Super Sports in.

The local price is nuts in comparison for 295/30/20 and 245/35/20

Thanks

Arthur

Guys,

Has anyone brought tyres in from the US? Tirerack and treaddepot dont export to Australia and I wanted to bring a set of Michelin Pilor Super Sports in.

Thanks

Arthur

This used to be commonplace, Tirerack would ship anywhere.

Lately though, they decline to do this(With some brands). Have you contacted them directly to discuss via email? I know that they wont do Some brands due to trade agreements and local distribution.

Recently there was a guy in sydney who was selling new tires cheaper over ebay as he had brought container loads in. They were about 2 years old but half the price of the same tire locally.

The local distributors realised this and simply dropped their prices to match, which basically shut him down.

I would email them directly for a full price delivered, just to see if they would do it.

Guys,

Thanks

Arthur

That's very interesting about Tyre Rack. I spoke to them a few months ago and it certainly was not a problem and I gait a quote from them shipped to Melbourne. I do know however that the government has introduced new import regulations for tyres due to mosquito larvae breeding in tyres. The importer has to now prove via chain of custody that the tyres have not been exposed to the elements etc...

Seems that the overpriced Australian tyre retailers may have found a way to protect their profits.

Having said that I have a very good contact that has supplied Pilots to a couple of members saving them about $200-250 PER TYRE. PM me if you want their details.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you guys running the Toyo T1Rs have had any issues with them. I've got a puncture in the inner side wall on one of mine where it has buldged. I've ordered a replacement but I've just noticed the other rear also has a buldge on the inner wall. From what I can tell, I'm not spoilt for choice when it comes to 245/45/16 tyres so I'm hoping its not an issue with their tyres.

Never heard of any drama with that tyre, Simon.

How old are they ?

I thought they stopped making that tyre. :mellow:

I think they're only a couple years old. They've got plenty of tread on them and they haven't started cracking like some tyres do. I've got two coming from interstate so apparently they're still making them. I'm not sure what we do if they stop making them?? My tyre guy thinks he'll be able to work out the problem once he gets them off.

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you guys running the Toyo T1Rs have had any issues with them. I've got a puncture in the inner side wall on one of mine where it has buldged. I've ordered a replacement but I've just noticed the other rear also has a buldge on the inner wall. From what I can tell, I'm not spoilt for choice when it comes to 245/45/16 tyres so I'm hoping its not an issue with their tyres.

i have those tyres on my 3.2, same size.. been running them for a few years now and no issues at all. i'm thinking youve been unlucky there.

How many Ks do you think you will get out of them, JJ ?

They look like a good all round tyre.

yeah they are a great street tyre. i'd say i got around 30,000 km's out of them. for $250 each, great value. they stick well also

I put Toyo T1Rs on my 3.2, after reading many threads from all sorts of forums.

I found them very sticky and great value for money. I thought some sizes were being phased out around mid 2011.

On each tyre there will be a 4 digit number representing week and year of manufacture.

The old ones are mid 2008. My mechanic thinks its probably just pothole damage. New tyres were made December 2012 so it looks like they're still making them for now. Sadly I paid $325 each so either the price has gone up or I got touched.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using Pilot Sport 3's. Car had been squared off(same size tire all round) using 2 different brands, when I bought it, so going back to a staggered set up with new rubber was a revelation. After I got them, I read an article in a car mag that put about 20 tires through various tests and the PS3's won, so new I could have done a lot worse. They have been fantastic in both wet and dry, but my car on boost, in the wet, is pretty much useless lol It's better with the Fabspeed exhaust, as that has smoothed the transition from off boost to boost

I agree Bruce, the PS3's are a very good tyre. I put a set on my Passat Wagon late last year and couldn't get over the difference between them and the factory spec Bridgestones. Much quieter and heaps more grip. Oh and quite reasonably priced in comparison to the Bridgestones. Good choice!

C

I replaced my Michelin PS with the Bridgestone potenza adrenalin RE002s  http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Adrenalin-RE002.htm  and have found them to be a great all round tyre (spirited driving , DD , wet and dry and occasional trackday) . They are wearing well (I looked at stickier tyres but couldn't justify the 10000km life)

For road tyres I have had a few sets of Michelin pilot sport II's which have been excellent tyres and I also use them as my track tyre for cold/wet track days and they have done very well. I was intending to replace them with the recently released Michelin pilot super sports as an experienced track buddy of mine out a set on his GT3 and they really do grip well, kind of in a niche between quality sticky road tyres and true R compound track tyres.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to further complicate things, I have seen comparisons between the R1R and the new Hancook Ventus RS3's. Again great value for the performance (dont need to worry about the wear as much given the dollars in comparison tyres). I personally would rather spend my money on a dedicated track tyre and run less high end road tyres.................(its nice to have a bit of cheap slide on the way to the shops!)

Either way, enjoy the run tomorrow!

Hi Hugh

I've fitted some RS3's to 18 inch track wheels on the 993c4 and find the grip in all conditions amazing.

Have done a couple of track days which made a hugh difference over my old bridge S-02s

They are in expensive but have great grip. Coming home from Wakefield 2 weeks ago I hit a rainstorm and didn't notice any drop off in grip. ( backed off when I passed a GT3 that had aquaplaned :( )

Apart from stiff sidewalks they are a great start to track tyres and there is no overheating or wear issues on the track

Cheers

Archived