What tyre do you use?

Guest vas930

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys that 987 I'm considering has mixed front rear tyres on it. Fronts are Conti Sports and the rear Toyos. They are brand new tyres just fitted.

I remember the MX5 being like a death trap with mismatched tyres, is the Boxster ok like this?

Hi Amanda,

There are various patterns and quality of tyres in each brand. It would be OK to buy,drive and assess on a preference, but if you are looking to having them changed before you buy I think it would be difficult to argue a case.

Cheers,Mark.

Hi Amanda,

There are various patterns and quality of tyres in each brand. It would be OK to buy,drive and assess on a preference, but if you are looking to having them changed before you buy I think it would be difficult to argue a case.

Cheers,Mark.

I was asking purely out of interest. Also, I don't think that is something I'd hassle the seller over. He's just spent $1600 on them!

Have decided to place Toyo 888 that I have on rear and bought same for front at a price of $340 each. Looking at top road tyres like Dunlop Star Spec that I presently have and Bridgeys or Mich at prices of $500+ I could have both road and track tyres for a lot less even considering wear rates !

Fronts will be 245x40x18 rears 295x30x18 so grip won't be a problem.

Amanda,

It is a complex question without knowing the specific Tyre designation.

As you rightly assume different brands have different road holding capabilities, as does different specs in the Brand.

I have a question re the ride comfort of say 17" compared to 18" rims on the same car. Obviously the profile will change to keep the same outside diameter and consequent reduction in sidewall height might make for a harsher ride? Any experienced rim swappers out there got some views?

Hi Steve,

Yes there is a difference, with slightly harsher ride on same roads but there is usually less movement laterally which enhances steering feel.

It depends whether your a cruiser with passengers or a dynamic driver.

You also may get a better tyre choice depending on rim size.

The simplest test would be to get a ride in the same car with the different rim size to yours on the same road.

Cheers,Mark.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, I am after new tyres for my '86 944, the size I am after is 215/60 R15.

At the moment I have Pirelli p6000 on my car, still plenty of tread left but as they are nearly 7 years old and the car sat in a garage and only did 5000kms in the last 5 years, they are out of round.  

I have had them balanced twice in the last 2 months, they are stuffed.

I have researched quite a bit in the last 3 days and visited some tyre shops in my local area and it is very hard to find a decent tyre in a 15" rim, so far the yokohama c drive may be a decent option, any other ideas anyone? 

The 981 came with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 235/45/18 265/45/18 we have nearly 10,000klm on them and they have done one track day. 

Great on the street no complaints but on the track they squeal like a pig and my front left started de laminating in the middle were there are way to many sips (yes i said front left at the creek/SMP). I do a lot of track days but on a motorbike so I know pressures are very important but on the day they had Porsche techs checking everything and as i know nothing about car tyres the only thing I could do was slow myself up to keep the tyres from ripping them self to bits. 

Here is the issue I want to get myself some semi slicks as I have 2 more track days coming up and no-one makes them in this size yet. I so want a set of Advan A050 just need to work out the right replacement size that won't upset the car.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

I need new front tyres and would like to get the Toyo T1Rs like on the back. They come in 205/50/16 but the recommended for the car (and what's on it now) is 205/55/16. Does anyone know if there is much difference in size and whether it's a problem or not?

Hey guys

I need new front tyres and would like to get the Toyo T1Rs like on the back. They come in 205/50/16 but the recommended for the car (and what's on it now) is 205/55/16. Does anyone know if there is much difference in size and whether it's a problem or not?

Reducing from 205 55 16 to 205 50 16 will see a 3% difference in diameter.

• 4 months later...

Anyone have any feedback on Dunlop Direzza DZ101 tyre? on paper they sound good.

I've got toyo T1R on my car now,

The toyos are good but wear to quickly. I need something with better wear rate and more cost effective as i don't plan on taking the car to its limits on the street. I've got another set of wheels that will have semi slicks for SMTS/track days ect to kill :)

I got the toyos to run 245 45 16 for "more grip purposes" but they get expensive to run for so little tyres for a year or so. $320 a corner IICR

I'll be going back to 225 50 16 and thinking of going with the Dunlop's. They're about half the price. and i figure they'd last longer. 

The both classes as "Ultra high performance summer tyres" 

UTQG:

T1R     280 AA A

DZ101 300 A A

UTQG rundown: (for those who don't understand it)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

• 4 weeks later...

Another tyre question... about to get some new tyres for the Cayman.. it is on 19inch rims.

How critical are the load and speed ratings?

Factory says the fronts should be a 87Y and the rears a 94Y....

ie, if the ones I get have a Z rating, I assume that is ok?

fyi, I'm looking at the Michelin PS2's... believe it or not, this is the first time I have ever bought a set of 4 new tyres.. (usually have company car).

I have Continental Sport Contact 3's on mine, OE was Sport Contact 2's. The 3's are great and were on sale a couple of months ago when I bought them. OE for my Boxster is good enough or me. At least with a Porsche.

Archived