What tyre do you use?

Guest vas930

Guest vas930

What tyre do you use?

Road tyre or comp tyre, let us know what tyre you use.

This will make it easy for those looking for the right tyre.

Feel free to say what you think of your tyres, likes and what you dont like.

I use the Dunlop DZO3Gs.

Great for a blast in the hills and good on the track.

Not so good in heavy rain and wear fast.

Great tyre for a weekend car with the track in mind.

Around $2000 a set for 16in.

I will be buying another set for my new 17s.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had Falken FK series tyres on both my p-cars over the last 10 years. Found them to be a good middle range tyre. Probably a bit hard but reasonable grip in dry and good grip in the wet. Cannot say what sort of Km's they last for as over that 10 year period I have probably only travel about 12000km.

Might try something else next time but not sure what yet....

Cheers

C

Put a set of Toyo T1R's on the 3.2 last year. Very happy on the road, around the twisties, and through the wet. Not tested on the track yet.

Pirrelli P6's for the E. Limited choice for the 15" Fuchs flat sixes these days. The P6 are popular on the small bumper 911s as they are close in dimension to the original fitment and they fill the guards out well for that period look.

Not running on rims ;)

Guest vas930

Hankook Ventus 12 EVO.

Incredible value for money and very good for the street.

Hey, theo.

Do you have a pic of these tyres?

and whats the cost?

Guest vas930

Put a set of Toyo T1R's on the 3.2 last year. Very happy on the road, around the twisties, and through the wet. Not tested on the track yet.

Pirrelli P6's for the E. Limited choice for the 15" Fuchs flat sixes these days. The P6 are popular on the small bumper 911s as they are close in dimension to the original fitment and they fill the guards out well for that period look.

Not running on rims ;)

Those T1Rs are a popular tyre, Doug.

I thought they changed to a new mod ?

The pirrelli P6 and 7s are a classic.

My dad won the Australian Hill climb Cship back in 82 on a set of P7s.

I had a look at that same tyre about a month ago.

Lets just say tyres have come a long way in the last 30 years.

The P7s of the early 80s and just running on the rims would be a toss up :unsure:

Hey, theo.

Do you have a pic of these tyres?

and whats the cost?

No pic at the moment.

From memory they were around $1100 fitted etc.

Looking at updating my rims so will be looking for new tyres.

Seriously considering importing from the States.

Prices are so much cheaper even with freight.

Guest vas930

I have had Falken FK series tyres on both my p-cars over the last 10 years. Found them to be a good middle range tyre. Probably a bit hard but reasonable grip in dry and good grip in the wet. Cannot say what sort of Km's they last for as over that 10 year period I have probably only travel about 12000km.

Might try something else next time but not sure what yet....

Cheers

C

12000kms in 10 years!

Last time I was in your 993 I said it was like new.

Now I know why :)

Any idea on the price of the Falkens, Chris ?

Guest vas930

No pic at the moment.

From memory they were around $1100 fitted etc.

Looking at updating my rims so will be looking for new tyres.

Seriously considering importing from the States.

Prices are so much cheaper even with freight.

What rims are you looking at, Theo ?

Size ?

Hard to beat the RS rims on the 993 for looks.

But hard to find and big bucks.

I have seen some nice replica 993 RS rims at a fair price.

Spot on Vas.

Veloce RS replicas in 18's as i cant afford the real thing.

Same supplier as Chris's rims, just a later model.

I am really struggling with the silver or black centres.

Have black wide oval tips coming and am thinking of adding a RS style body kit.

post-438-0-40936000-1342243286_thumb.jpg

Definitely the black rims Theo, that would be my choice.... Ann would go the silver ....

Vas, the falkens are very reasonable. I think the rears were $330 each and the fronts a bit cheaper not much. Falken and Toyo are both off shoots of Dunlop which used be to part owners in the company I work for. I know some of the Japanese management and they are all car guys, and are passionate about making good tyres ......

C

Hi Gents,

Having finally sorted a new set of wheels for the track, I have now turned to building a road/intermediate set of wheels. I generally only drive the car in good weather but still want a tyre that is solid in the 'damp' conditions felt on early morning 'high country' roads etc. The aim is to find a reasonable tyre thats not $$$ as I like to 'enjoy' the rubber with energy, but not looking to put rubbish on the car that could result in an accident at the sake of a few dollars.

After much reading, discussions, questions and the like Hancook have recently released a tyre called the Ventus RS3 - its an intermediate tyre that is very reasonable cost wise and seems to be quite a capable contender to some of the other options raised here.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any issues with Hancooks (I see Toto has used them) as I have never bought or used this brand of tyre before - and very open to suggestions on other preferred options.

Cheers, Hugh.

Those T1Rs are a popular tyre, Doug.

I thought they changed to a new mod ?

I think you might be right about the T1R's. I had a little trouble sourcing last year.

I am not sure if Toyo has a new model that directly replaces the T1R.

I was always a believer that European cars should stick to European tyres and jap cars stick to jap tyres...however I am running YOKOHAMA ADVAN SPORT on the Boxster (205/50ZR17 & 255/40ZR17) I have never put the car on the track, but on our spirited SMT's they seem to hang on well.

I have done close to 20,000 on them, in close to 2 and a half years, still heaps of tread.

However they do develop a flat spot "thump" when the car hasn't been out for a few weeks, but that disappears after two or three k's.

$1600.00 including the suggested alignments when fitted. Traction tyres doing the job.

VERDICT. Jap tyres on German car........Happy with them

Toyo T1R's here, its about the only street tyre available in a 245/45/16

Anything wider than 225 in 16 inch seems hard to find. I managed to find a set of Falkens in 245 but slightly taller profile at 50.

Thinking about ordering a set of of Potenza RE 11s off Tirerack as I can get a matching set for front and rear (225 and 245).

• 4 weeks later...

Gday,

I have Bridgestone Potenza S02´s on a 944 turbo - 245 45 16´s on the rear & 225 55 16´s on the front - i think, it´s the oem spec for a 952 & I also put the same on my Audi S6 Plus Quattro - 255 45 17´s all round.

These tyres are great- very good in the wet, there pretty soft but keep em up to pressure and make sure your suspension set up isn´t too agressive and they wear surprisingly well.

I do about 10 000km / yr in the Audi and next to nothing in the 944 now though...

The Audi has About 2 deg neg camber frt & 2.5 back also -1deg toe in allround so should be a little harsh but they seem to be wearing evenly - i´ve rotated once.

The 944 has neg 2.5 frt & maybe 1-2 toe in , cant remember now - I´ve not run them on a track but both cars stick like .... to a blanket !

Crossed the Pyrenes mountains 1 night in a blizzard passing everything else with chains...even some stuck with chains - just a small understear moment once in the Audi - I didn´t have any chains as i didnt expect to cross peaks, id followed the tom tom to the wrong border crossing....so up & over instead of through the valleys...

You can set cruise control to 170 in torrential rain - standing water etc on the motorway and it´s just like dry rds - quattro helps i spo´s but the 944 had the back out down the same straight stretch with the old tyres on (forget what they were - well past used though..so to be expected i spos.)

S02´s aren´t avaliable everywhere i found - in some countries they tell you they´ve stopped production although i got them in Germany without any prob - store guy said they were easy to get & still produced...in Spain they were special order, not sure bout Oz but if you can get em give em a go !

I had Pirelli Pzero Assimetrico's on mine when I bought the car they have been awesome on the grip in both wet and dry conditions though I've never tested them on track. They were low on tread when I bought the car but have lasted 6 years all be it with low km's.

Have been looking at new ones at around $650ea for the rears.

Has anyone had them? Tried them?

I had Pirelli Pzero Assimetrico's on mine when I bought the car they have been awesome on the grip in both wet and dry conditions though I've never tested them on track. They were low on tread when I bought the car but have lasted 6 years all be it with low km's.

Have been looking at new ones at around $650ea for the rears.

Has anyone had them? Tried them?

Certainly about time they were changed. Rubber would have hardened up a little by now.

$650 each is a massive amount of money and totally unnecessary in a street driven 993.

Are you running 17s or 18s? The Hankook Ventus V12 Evos I am runing are more than capable or doing the job and the 993 gets pushed quite regularly!

All that for about $1100 on 17s. I am however about to receive a new set of 18 rims any day and will be ordering TOYO R1Rs to suit.

Impeccable reviews, great value for money and you can social track these babies any day of the week.

PXR1R_1.png

Archived