A Melbournian with a seats question!

withers

Hi all

I'm new to this forum, in fact this is my first post :)

After lusting after the Porsche brand since was a teenager and owning MX5s, GTI Golfs, V8 XY Falcons etc I think it's time I jumped into Porsche ownership! I'm 40 now by the way, so teenage years were a fair while ago :o this is a long time coming!

So I'm wanting to buy a Boxster. As I only use my cars on weekends and maybe 1 or 2 times a week, I won't be getting anything newer than about 7 years old. One of the features I love about my GTI is the heated seats (I'm a girl, we feel the cold!) I was wondering if anyone has had heated seats retrofitted to a 986 in Melbourne or any other car for that matter and could provide me with some contact information???

All the other mods I'd be interested in making I've found easily enough but this one seems more difficult. I know many think our climate down here doesn't require such a feature but as far as I'm concerned if having heated seats means the roof comes down MORE.. then I'm all over it!

Thanks heaps in advance for any info you can give me :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi awit,

At last you have awoken to the wonderful world of Porsche. Welcome!

Boxters have proved themselves as a great model in the range. Others in PFA are way better qualified to talk Boxters than I am.

I test my love of these cars on a cool/cold Sunday morning run, windows down, the heater flat out, no music just the flat 6 doing what it does.

rEd

Welcome to the forum :)

You have two options.

Swap the seats out.

Or go for a heating kit.

Best to just change the seats. IMO

Many people in the colder US states have done this.

Here is a good start http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/16125-heated-seats-retrofit-possible.html

Good luck.

Thanks also Vas, didn't know of that Boxster forum site, so just signed up.

Looks like more time spent on the Apples now.....

Guest vas930

No prob, Nico.

Be sure to bring back what you learn to this forum. :)

Guest vas930

Thanks vas930, that is indeed a very good option. Providing I can find the seats and they don't cost a fortune :)

Anyways, need to get the car first.. the research is FUN!

The pleasure is mine, awit.

These days I am just a service to the public. :D

Good luck with the search and keep us posted.

Hey Niko

How much attention does the yellow Box get vs other cars you've owned? It looks fantastic!

Hi Awit, also welcome to the forum, good to have a bit more Boxster interest coming in.

I have loved all my old cars, started in Datsun 1600's, restored a 180B SSS (super sonic sh#*) then into an

MX5 , 2000 Sooby WRX, (last of the best body style)and now the beloved Boxster. WRX probably best bang for the buck and unbreakable. Boxster has to be treated with a bit more care I get the feel it is a bit more fragile than the WRX.

Comparing the Boxster to the WRX is a bit hard. WRX even though unmodified except for nice exhaust was a grunter which would make my armpits break out in a sweat whenever I fired her up. Boxster is much more refined and so easy to drive.

You are doing the right thing by making enquiries and doing your study re your proposed purchase. I had never driven a porker and first Boxster I test drove I bought. I was lucky, full history and the two previous owners both stock brokers who looked after the car. Four and a half years later I have still only driven mine plus a couple of loan porkers when it was in for a service.

You are also getting good advice from the forum members. You are welcome to have a drive of mine if you want, or come along to one of our SMT,s or unofficial meets (usually in a beach side car park) , to get a bit of an idea on what you can set your sights on.

Good luck in your quest, you won't be disappointed if you end up with a Boxster. Without trying to take advantage of your posts, my car will probably be up for sale in the next 12 months, so keep that in mind.

Good luck in your quest, you won't be disappointed if you end up with a Boxster. Without trying to take advantage of your posts, my car will probably be up for sale in the next 12 months, so keep that in mind.

You did go to the new Boxster launch didn't yo Niko?

Definitely staying in the porker family, but not sure what yet, 911 of some description, think I had better get one before I get too old (if I am not already there)

Have to remember I am now only a self funded retired legend, so the new Coxster will remain a dream... Unless....they will give me about $100,000 trade in for my yellow one.....probably not though.

Talking to Chris and David last Saturday at the unveiling, and seems a 964 or similar might do the trick.

There is one at PCB with low k's and even has A/C (older citizens need A/C) but apparently (being a dealer) asking too much.

So .....I will do my homework now...no hurry to sell mine, and slowly talk the luckiest woman in the world (well she did marry me)

into getting one of those ugly cars (her words).

Next one whatever it is will be handed on to my Grandson, so lots of study and thought needed.

Definitely staying in the porker family, but not sure what yet, 911 of some description, think I had better get one before I get too old (if I am not already there)

Have to remember I am now only a self funded retired legend, so the new Coxster will remain a dream... Unless....they will give me about $100,000 trade in for my yellow one.....probably not though.

Talking to Chris and David last Saturday at the unveiling, and seems a 964 or similar might do the trick.

There is one at PCB with low k's and even has A/C (older citizens need A/C) but apparently (being a dealer) asking too much.

So .....I will do my homework now...no hurry to sell mine, and slowly talk the luckiest woman in the world (well she did marry me)

into getting one of those ugly cars (her words).

Next one whatever it is will be handed on to my Grandson, so lots of study and thought needed.

I think that's great Niko.

A 964 is such a classic 911. Enough "old skool" with some modern luxuries such as, ummm.....air conditioning!

I picked up my father, who is 72, in the 993 a couple of weeks ago and we went shopping.

We had a ball. He loved the Porka!

I had the funniest afternoon watching him get in and out!

Moral of the story is, buy a 911 before you get too old to get in/out without your kids having a quiet giggle to themselves.

Good luck with the search. I think you may have a couple of good mates there to help out!

Thanks Theo, I was hoping the 964 might be a bit easier to get in and out of than the Coxster.

I can handle it (not all that elegantly) but my wife hates it, (doesn't help when I pinch her on the a#@* when she is trying to get out/ no sense of humour at all) so that is not a plus for convincing her.

Have to look for some enticing goodies in it that might sway her to my thinking.

Then again we seem to have an understanding...any car that I like...she hates so I can't see why I should stop that tradition now.

It's the grand kids I worry about having a giggle at us, and they are not the type to keep the giggle to themselves.

Great story with your Dad, maybe bring him out on an SMT......maybe not.

Thanks for the encouragement on the 964.

Hi Awit, also welcome to the forum, good to have a bit more Boxster interest coming in.

I have loved all my old cars, started in Datsun 1600's, restored a 180B SSS (super sonic sh#*) then into an

MX5 , 2000 Sooby WRX, (last of the best body style)and now the beloved Boxster. WRX probably best bang for the buck and unbreakable. Boxster has to be treated with a bit more care I get the feel it is a bit more fragile than the WRX.

Comparing the Boxster to the WRX is a bit hard. WRX even though unmodified except for nice exhaust was a grunter which would make my armpits break out in a sweat whenever I fired her up. Boxster is much more refined and so easy to drive.

You are doing the right thing by making enquiries and doing your study re your proposed purchase. I had never driven a porker and first Boxster I test drove I bought. I was lucky, full history and the two previous owners both stock brokers who looked after the car. Four and a half years later I have still only driven mine plus a couple of loan porkers when it was in for a service.

You are also getting good advice from the forum members. You are welcome to have a drive of mine if you want, or come along to one of our SMT,s or unofficial meets (usually in a beach side car park) , to get a bit of an idea on what you can set your sights on.

Hey Niko.. we have similar taste in cars.. I've had 3 MX5s over the years.. NA6A, NB8B and a NB8A! I thought about trying a NC but meh... too small, I want something a bit bigger and less MX5ish. Also had a 2002 RS Impreza.. I decided against the WRX cos I was concerned I'd be a maniac in it. The RS was fast enough and loved how it just fanged around corners! Fun cars :) The GTI tho, is an all round nicer car tho.. love the Euro build. This is my second GTI.. I had a Mk4 before hand = heavy slug but still a nice car.

I'll definitely see if I can come along to a SMT some time. I think thats a great idea. As for a test drive, I'd rather not do that.. imagine if something awful happened. I'll go drive a Dealers car ;) or 5!

I also remembered my Dad knows a guy that is a P collector up near his house (Romsey). I'll have to see if we can go visit him too. Apparently this man is quite a P enthusiast.

Hey Niko.. we have similar taste in cars.. I've had 3 MX5s over the years.. NA6A, NB8B and a NB8A! I thought about trying a NC but meh... too small, I want something a bit bigger and less MX5ish. Also had a 2002 RS Impreza.. I decided against the WRX cos I was concerned I'd be a maniac in it. The RS was fast enough and loved how it just fanged around corners! Fun cars :) The GTI tho, is an all round nicer car tho.. love the Euro build. This is my second GTI.. I had a Mk4 before hand = heavy slug but still a nice car.

I'll definitely see if I can come along to a SMT some time. I think thats a great idea. As for a test drive, I'd rather not do that.. imagine if something awful happened. I'll go drive a Dealers car ;) or 5!

I also remembered my Dad knows a guy that is a P collector up near his house (Romsey). I'll have to see if we can go visit him too. Apparently this man is quite a P enthusiast.

"Same same" with the MX, nice car to drive but just wasn't me. (plus I got pissed with the comments re driving my sisters car, hairdressers car etc etc) I Macho'd the thing up best I could, but just didn't work. Your current drive is a good choice, I have a healthy respect for those little suckers. Not sure about the pink XY, ....a "big banger" sounds good and goes quick in a straight line, but that's about it, normally they handle like a "bowl of goldfish"

Anyway the offer is there for a drive.

yeh what are you insinuating?

and I've been exploring... you are all pretty friendly and helpful in here!

besides I only admitted to being female so I could potentially ask stupid questions and it would be accepted (based on my experiences to date, women aren't meant to know much about cars.. mechanics can be mean!) so nurrr

Archived