Any risk in putting my SC on a hoist?

AC78

As a new SC owner please be patient while I put a noob question to the forum!

Question: I understand 911s have the oil lines travelling the length of the car, and these are often damaged by jacking them up in the wrong places, but do I need to be worried about crushed oil lines when the car goes up on a hoist?

I'm not talking about the ramp style hoist that you drive on to, but the hoist with the 4 arms that swing in underneath the car.

The car is about to be inspected for rego and i'm wondering if I need to be instructing the mechanic on how to lift a 911.

Similarly, when you go to put new tyres on your car, are there any worries that the 18 year old tyre technician is going to put the lift arms in the wrong spot and crush the lines??!

Cheers,

Alex

Definitely supervise any jacking of a 911 of this vintage. The outer sills are easily bent. I insist on using my side jacking pod if the wheels are coming off and often do it myself. If you want to hoist the whole car as you describe, make sure the hoist bumpers are slid underneath the sills and then raised to fit under the body frame sidemembers((carefully)). The guys at Gulson's did a rego inspection for me years ago are it's best to use people familiar with Porsches.

Cheers

Paul M

Definitely supervise any jacking of a 911 of this vintage. The outer sills are easily bent. I insist on using my side jacking pod if the wheels are coming off and often do it myself. If you want to hoist the whole car as you describe, make sure the hoist bumpers are slid underneath the sills and then raised to fit under the body frame sidemembers((carefully)). The guys at Gulson's did a rego inspection for me years ago are it's best to use people familiar with Porsches.

Cheers

Paul M

Definately supervise...I left a guy who claimed he worked on numerous prestige vehicles to do a paintless dent removal only to hear the trolley jack rattling across the floor even before I left and there it was sliding under the sill and making its way to the oil lines...hence he was not impressed when i took the car without getting any work done...

• 1 month later...

Alex

I agree with supervising the car at all times, there are 4 points on the tub of the car behind front wheels and in front of rear arches.

you can adjust the arms and place them there on the tub adn lift the car.

the tub is very strong on those spots and should be ok

good luck

they are not jacking points as such, I meant the strongest reinforced area on a tub are on this diagram.

all 911 tubs from 1974-1989 are the same in shape, maybe a little in wieight due to the different materials used.

Alex have a look at this diagram these are the jacking points you can place the arm of the hoist safely.

arrows C and D

post-646-0-81092900-1346924736_thumb.jpg

Is Just James around to validate? If so this is a great help and I will print off for the glove box.

Painful dealing with people and work shops who scoff at my older car saying they daily work on cars 5 times more expensive and are dismissive when telling them to do something so fundamentally basic as jacking a car.

The advice so far has been spot on.

This pic shows the front jacking point.

FrontHoistPoint.jpg

The rubber pad is on the welded seam which protrudes vertically downwards just behind the front wheel well.

As this particular car is a later 3.2, it has the rear jacking points - but oddly not front - which were used, but on an earlier car you would jack it up on the equivalent point as the front, i.e., on the welded seam which protrudes vertically downwards in front of the rear wheel, where I have added a red oval.

RearHoistPoint.jpg

Just in case it isn't obvious, these pics were taken looking towards the right hand side of the car.

• 2 months later...

Archived