Street Tyres

Nick JH

Hi Gang 

I'm new to the Porsche scene but im basically looking for some street tyres for my 3.2 Carrera any recommendations as I was thinking Toyo R888. Or are these to much for the street as I probably won't be going on the track. I was also contemplating going a little wider on the back I'm currently running 205 fronts and 225 on the backs. 

Cheers Nick

You'll get a few opinions but I have had Bridgestone Potenza RE002s on my SC for the past 7 years (on 2nd set just in case anyone is fretting about old tyres), driven in all conditions (and occasionally on track though no racing)  and couldn't be happier.

RE003's in standard widths

If you want to fill out the rear guards run 23mm spacers

Notice the RE's won the important to us slalom and the dry handling parts of the Wheels 2017 tyre comparison and came 2nd overall so Tazzie and I aren't the only fanboys.

Also they're inexpensive especially if you wait for the regular 4 for the price of 3 deals

Personally I would not get Toyo R888's for the street as you may not get sufficient heat into them driving on the road meaning less than optimal performance.

I have had Bridgestone RE003 and was happy with them in terms of grip, wear and price.

Personally I don't like Bridgestone S001, I found them to have amazing grip but they didn't gve much warning when they let go.  I get the sense they ar designed for bigger heavier cars like HSV's so that extra weight may assist in giving warning bit on a lighter car like your SC these would not be my preference.

Ah yes Bridgestone ok will look into prices on these thanks

The re003's look sweet 

wouldn't bother,  I only have them because they are still good.  Come replacement time I will be fitting re003's  on rear too,  they are a better all round tyre. (Newer tyre, better technology I think)

My SC had RE002's when I got it, which were a great allrounder tyre. I replaced them with the current RE003 in the standard sizes, which are awesome.  I live in the hills & I drive the car pretty hard.  I've also done a track day with them.  No issues. Bridgestone have always made good performance tyres.

I'll never get anything other than Toyo R888 for my 3.2 widebody. I read all the negative comments on the internet but was kind of forced into buying through lack of choice at the time. Spoke to another guy who had them on a 3.2 who told me all the negativity is rubbish. Used them cruising, used them on SMTs, at the track, in the rain, in what was pretty much a monsoon and they are awesome in every way. More grip than normal street tyres in every situation. Kept up with the  crowd on a very wet Tassie trip. Lapped quicker than a famous Boxster at a wet Winton track day. Noticeably quicker to others on a recent SMT. The only negative would be the chance of aquaplanning on standing water is higher. I drove to and from Moe on Sunday and it bucketed down the whole way. I dropped my speed to 90 and drove through a few rivers across the hwy and didn't have a problem. So they're a big thumbs up for me

Archived