Which battery (for 9x6, 9x7)?

Francois

Hi all,

I generally would go Varta F18 as the OEM batteries don't tend to be as durable, but they're in the $300 range down here.

I'm thinking there's probably as good for a fraction of the price...?

Which battery brands do you use or recommend?

Cheers

PS: did a search on the forum but didn't find any relevant topics...

Go to battery world and get a suitable comparison eg right size CCA etc ,,,I think something like 85% of worlds car batteries are made in Korea ,,most of the leading brands,,,,,,,,,better hurry before the war starts :D

We use Century Yuasa batteries in our natural gas & diesel electric, and natural gas hydraulic artificial lift units.  They're used in remote places on well sites around the country, on engines from 3 litre to 16 litre, and have proven to be very durable.  

Actually (I don't want to speak too soon) but my battery was fine and lasted this winter - it's a Bosch S3+ 56318. Fits perfectly in the 996 and most likely the 997, it's the smaller size battery.

I had an optima deep cycle in a previous car which lasted over 5 years which i'd recommend although I have read about some possible fitment issues but that was a few years ago. When it's time to replace this one ill look into one of those.

Also if you don't drive all that often buy a c-tek charger. It's the same one that Porsche sell but it's not branded and 1/5 of the price and a better model.

Also if you don't drive all that often buy a c-tek charger. It's the same one that Porsche sell but it's not branded and 1/5 of the price and a better model.

Which model do you recommend (car is a 1984 3.2l Carrera if it matters)?

c-tek MXS-5.0 is the equivalent Porsche maintainer. If you google the model you can search for the cheapest retailer here in Oz - I think I paid about $110 a couple of years ago while Battery World wanted $145 .

Note that these are maintainers and not chargers.....

The MXS5.0 is the model above I was referring to and the one I have. 

If you purchase the Porsche Charg-o-mat II its the model below the MXS-5 because you don't get the charge indicator on it so it's closer to the XS0.8. Unless they have updated it in the last two years but I doubt it. You also have to purchase the battery alligator clips as it doesn't come with them or to use it you need to modify your cigarette lighter to be constantly live. It's $195 + 23 for the clips (price is from 2015 so may have changed).  

These are battery chargers and also know as trickle chargers. These both charge and maintain as when the battery is fully charged it will then begin a cycle of discharge and recharge. The MXS5.0 also has a setting to recharge a deeply discharged battery.

Pic for reference:

item_62785.jpg

Dalai,

Using a charger is key to making the batteries last for seldom driven cars. 

Like the others I use and recommend these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ctek-Mxs-5-0-12v-5amp-Smart-Battery-Charger-Car-Boat-4wd-Caravan-Bike-Marine-Agm-/302104177500?epid=1139790824&hash=item4656cfeb5c:g:K5YAAOSw3~tZb1Fc

Just have to drill out the eyelet connectors supplied to fit the battery connection clamp bolts.  This is much more convenient than using alligator clips.

Also remove the globe from your frunk light. On my first 3.2 I installed a simple inline switch.  For my second I realised you can't really store anything much in the frunk anyway so just pulled the connector!

Dalai,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ctek-Mxs-5-0-12v-5amp-Smart-Battery-Charger-Car-Boat-4wd-Caravan-Bike-Marine-Agm-/302104177500?epid=1139790824&hash=item4656cfeb5c:g:K5YAAOSw3~tZb1Fc

Just have to drill out the eyelet connectors supplied to fit the battery connection clamp bolts.  This is much more convenient than using alligator clips.

Also remove the globe from your frunk light. On my first 3.2 I installed a simple inline switch.  For my second I realised you can't really store anything much in the frunk anyway so just pulled the connector!

I pull the frunk light too.

Although my ctek fit my battery terminal without drilling but you may be referring to a AC model. Either way ctek sell M8 permanent connections too. Or you can get a comfort connector that is a little plate to mount - not keen on cutting things myself but it's an option. 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will order one now!

I've only owned mine 6 months therefore I'm still in the honeymoon stage and been heading out for a drive nearly every weekend or every second weekend at worst. But recently with the wet winter weather here it had been a month prior to getting out last Sunday night!

Sorry for the thread hijack Frency987!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will order one now!

I've only owned mine 6 months therefore I'm still in the honeymoon stage and been heading out for a drive nearly every weekend or every second weekend at worst. But recently with the wet winter weather here it had been a month prior to getting out last Sunday night!

Sorry for the thread hijack Frency987!

No problem at all. In fact I'm not sure what to do - my battery is still alive although a bit weak.

Maybe I'll just go driving to give it a good charge. 

Was also considering the CTEK option, as the MXS 5 sells for $100 on ebay.

Dalai,

Are you guys drilling your Porsches? All you need is a cigarette plug and charge it from there!!

Example right here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CTEK-BATTERY-CHARGER-COMFORT-CONNECT-CIG-PLUG-56-263-CIGARETTE-SOCKET-ACCESSORY-/190949027111?epid=1625156784&hash=item2c7572ed27:g:ifYAAOSw4kVZrQb-

You can close the door, it won't damage the cable...

Digging yes, drilling no.

The adaptors that Ctek supply need to be drilled out to fit the battery clamp bolts on the air cooled cars.  It appears that they fit the water cooled cars without modification.

The battery adaptor is a suitable approach for trickle charging but some of us are old school and prefer a direct connection to the battery for the charger.

Archived