Heath's '75 911S Targa, Fresh Import

Hezath

Hi guys, been lurking on here and PP a little, trying to pick up on some information to introduce me to the marque.

Bought a left hook 911S Targa from Cali a few months ago and picked it up yesterday. I was so excited in the car on the way there my mates insisted they get a photo of when I first lay eyes on it haha so here that is, I definitely wasn't disappointed.

IMG_1458.jpg

Worked out how to open everything, topped up the fuel and oil and started her up.

IMG_1470.jpg

Stuck on some P's, a left hand drive sign inside the rear window and a permit on the dash and we were good to go. Straight off the boat and onto the road lol

IMG_20120727_181728.jpg

Basic rundown is a 1975 2.7L Targa with an '81 SC 3.0L motor in it, smog pump & air con deleted, SSIs, standard muffler. Gearbox is the standard short final drive 915 5spd, body has later doors with black trim around the windows, SC rear arches, fibreglass RS ducktail and the sale included the standard engine cover too, sits on 16x7" & 8" Fuchs. Lowered, bigger swaybars, strut brace, interior is mostly standard, fairly freshly trimmed in black with RS doorcards and a decent modern stereo.

I was a little nervous buying a car from the other side of the world, but I'm glad to report that everyone I dealt with was good & honest, the presentation of this car is excellent and the performance is great. I've got some work to do but I think I've landed a winner

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

Since those photos I got the prepsol out and cleaned some glue residue from where the car clearly used to have 'Carrera' stickers down the sides, gave it a good thorough wash, light polish and wax, and put cleaner and protectant on the trim and the targa top.

When I went to drive it, the shift knob came off in my hand with the boot, so today I removed the grubscrewed sleeve from the shifter and roughed that up, bit of contact adhesive and that's now setting overnight.

Also, windscreen washer jets weren't pumping at all, the motor was making noise and nothing was coming out. The reservoir was dry (took a while to figure out where that reservoir and the fill point for it were lol!), but filling it up didn't make any difference. It seems like someone had drained it and put the hoses on the motor backwards or something? But even when that was fixed, the jets were so blocked that nothing came out anyway, and the pump's pressure just developed other leaks in the hose connections upstream of the jets. So I disconnected a few points and flushed a lot of dirt and crap out of the lines with compressed air and then water, but to finish the job I really need to get some fresh lengths of hose and joiners to make it all seal up nicely and spray properly.

The other thing I tackled today was the targa top. It didn't seem to be sitting down properly on one side and after a quick inspection it was clear that the latch on one side was damaged. It was only grabbing on the secondary hold and obviously it was whistling when I drove it etc, not ideal. I pulled the latches out of the collapsible frame and found the replacement part in the glovebox!

IMG_20120728_180418.jpg

Punched the broken component (which someone had already had a crack at drilling out haha) out of the latch

IMG_20120728_180508.jpg

Then punched the new one in and had to stuff around getting the internal linkage to sit straight so that the mechanism worked freely, ended up drilling tiny holes in the back and tapping away with pin-punches until the internal mechanism lined up alright.

IMG_20120728_183500.jpg

I bolted it back into the frame and called it a day. The targa top popped in nice and tight on both sides and the whistle went away.

Guest Nick987

Great story! Welcome. Hope the rest is as easy for you!

Great to see you have the passion for a car like this! I know alot of younger guys go for something newer and more Asian rather than put themselves through importing!

Are you planning on a conversion? You looking to drive this daily? What's the longer term picture?

I love the duck tail and the targa. Really cool stance. Interior looks to be in great shape too. Going to reg it or race it?

Plans are to get a RWC and club reg it. I've already got my 'asian car' to drive every other day (although it definitely isn't newer!).

I'm definitely gonna leave it LHD - personally I don't see the value in converting it, each to their own. I want to backdate the heater ducting and resto the engine compartment a bit, put a louder muffler on it and crank up the AC/DC TIG to do an aesthetic bumper mod I've been planning for a while, fix all the little shit and flog it hard haha. I'll start off at Haunted Hills and hope to end up at Philip Island etc, depending on how rapidly my other project cars progress.

Guest Nick987

Sound like a plan! Glad to hear you chasing the classic 911 experience! A man with obvious taste and class! Hope to see you on a SMT

...................fix all the little shit and flog it hard haha.

Ah yes, the classic instruction they forgot in the owner's manual.

Once it warms up "Drive it like you stole it"!!

Guest Nick987

Isn't it interesting, that grin? I know I had one like that the day I picked up my first. Will never forget the drive back too. And I bet you all had the same megawatt smile on your mugs the moment you got into the driver's seat on the day you collected yours too!

Post it would be appreciated if you could please Hezath. Just to show other options to potential buyers.

I nearly went down that track two years ago but the porker I was looking at was an 89 model and I think it would have had to stay in the garage for a few years, which would have peed me off somewhat. 25 years is the age before they can be registered I think?

Isn't it interesting, that grin? I know I had one like that the day I picked up my first. Will never forget the drive back too. And I bet you all had the same megawatt smile on your mugs the moment you got into the driver's seat on the day you collected yours too!

Still have that megawatt smile each time I get in mine. Especially after yesterday as you saw Nick... Especially now it has a new sound track..... :)

C

In Vic it's 25 years for Club reg and 35 years for regular registration if you want to keep it a left hooker. But one reason I went for an earlier car was that Shannons wanted me to pay four times as much for insurance if it wasn't 35 years old. I'm only 21 so that's a factor that wouldn't apply to most people here.

Basically you can have a read of this thread if you're interested.

PM me any questions you've got. I did exceptionally well on a few points so my prices aren't a fair representation. For an impact bumper S or SC in California, I think sparing 7k should cover you for trucking, shipping, importing, customs, taxes, delivery. If it's in like Colorado or Texas maybe spare $7500. Of course you would want to allow more, but expect that amount or a tad less if the dollar is good etc.

And I'm going to sound like an old man here but get a good inspection done on the car, by a Porsche person/workshop. Mine was done at C.T. Automotive in Campbell, CA, who are predominantly a Porsche workshop AFAIK. The inspection was cheap and wasn't particularly thorough - I probably could have got more detail if I needed it BUT that didn't matter because I knew that they knew the car from previous work. It was documented and it gave me enough information to read between the lines and cross-reference information from the multiple parties that I was communicating with, so that I could trust the car.

To transfer the money, tell your bank to jam it and use OzForex. Sign up with them a little while in advance to avoid the stress at the end, although they're damn good to deal with anyway. Lack of foresight here ended up with me leaving it til the last minute and them being awesome and helping me get set up over the weekend before the payment had to be made.

To do your $50 application for Import Approval, you basically need to own the car. You need a visual copy of the title, bill of sale (with year, VIN, make, colour, signature), you need a copy of your ID (I sent in a copy of my driver's license with a police officer's signature), recent photo of the car (inside, outside and chassis no. is preferable), if it's pre '89 you need the five questions answered (and you state clearly that the car has "No modifications" even if it does), and the Import Approval form filled out. Canberra are a fucken joke and you want to make it really simple for them because they'll stuff it up if you don't. You'll be waiting at least 3 weeks for a reply and if they have a problem where you haven't provided enough information for them, they'll only get back to you after those three weeks - and how long do you think it takes them to rectify that? Give them high quality images and make sure you fill in everything you need to. You can call them up and confirm that the application has been received and is in the queue, to give you a bit of confidence for those three weeks of seemingly a complete lack of progress.

Thanks for that, I have learnt a bit from that. I was confused with the registration bit, I actually thought I could street register it after the 25 years, so there you go.

Might be a good excuse for going over to the US in the future, don't think I would be game enough to get one unsighted, although yours sure looks the goods. Well done.

Thanks for making the time and sharing that.

Guest Nick987

Still have that megawatt smile each time I get in mine. Especially after yesterday as you saw Nick... Especially now it has a new sound track..... :)

C

Sounded awesome as you pulled away...hope you like! Hope you will want to go for a nice long drive!

Nothing quite like the 6 piece Stuttgart chamber orchestra in full song!

Guest Nick987

In Vic it's 25 years for Club reg and 35 years for regular registration...

You are a brave man Hez, brave indeed. I know I wouldn't be able to do all you have managed 'sight unseen'...too jaded regarding the integrity of some of my fellow humanaughts...

I sincerely hope she brings you much joy and smirkin great grins like the one we have seen. World needs more of those.

Still amazes me that various metals combined by Porsche that produce motion with the addition of some gin made from dinosaur remains and an intrepid pilot can bring so much joy to folks...

Still amazed at myself. I catch myself grinning like a dopey fool just thinking about the machine in my garage some times.

If only they were cheaper in Australia so more people could understand the joy that comes from driving 'em...

Did over the washer jet system better today, put new hoses in and adjusted it all up, unclogged the jets again and works a treat.

Also got a RWC, boom!

And picked up some new gas struts for the trunk lid.

Now... to quickly join a club and get some plates on it! Damn waiting time for permits in clubs...

Sounds like you are really on a mission Heath, good on you. The way you are going you will have it on the road by the time we have the next SMT

C

Winton weekend???????????????????

lol I'm not sure what'll be first.

Sent off an application form for membership with the PCV today, and I talked to Carly about club reg which should all go smoothly.

Chucked those replacement gas-struts in the front, a little tricky and had to file down the ends so that they slot in nicely but done now.

Gotta keep fiddling to make the most of this time off work

Guest Nick987

Gotta keep fiddling to make the most of this time off work

And here I am thinkin we got a semi retired internet billionaire on the forum or somethin :D

Archived