Opinions/advice invited

Gsaps

I hope this link works... I'm considering a car and before I arrange the PPI, I'd appreciate some experienced eyes looking at these pics, it's a LHD 84 Carrera.. does anything jump out at you as a concern

https://imgur.com/gallery/G9AUo

Thanks in advance (and here's hoping the link works as I can't figure out how to downsize images)

My 2c - it's a U.S. Car - do you have any history with it?  Which states has it lived in?

the first pic of the jack point looks like some undercoating cracking/peeling off and what looks like corrosion underneath.  If that is the case you need to take a closer look for rust.  By the appearance of the driveshafts, exhaust, suspension fasteners it has been exposed to a rust inducing environment at some point.  This is hard to say for sure based on relatively low quality pictures on the Internet but I would be digging deeper.  You can also see corrosion on the fan which is either from ingesting salty air or from sitting a lot.

The exhaust is not stock so check carefully of the quality - not sure if that has working heat or not, it looks like very small heater boxes.

are you going to inspect in person?  Check carefully up under the rear quarter panels with your arm and look for caked dirt or worse.  Also check carefully around the sills and up around the windscreen and front guard mountings.

Also no interior pics?

Budget in $1k for replacement headlights - those sealed beams are useless and fugly, take it from someone who had a pair.

Thanks Coastr, just the help I need, I wondered about the heating thing, apparently it has a euro exhaust system (whatever that means) and has no cat converter

i won't be able to inspect personally as it is in the US

I found some more pics including internal

https://imgur.com/gallery/as6NV

https://imgur.com/gallery/as6NV

Not sure on what price you're looking at but I would be treading carefully and seeing if I could get an independent ppi.  There is not such thing as a 'euro exhaust' as far as I know - non cat cars just used a cat bypass pre muffler where the cat normally goes.  Porsche didn't make a system like that one as far as I know.   Nothing inherently wrong with aftermarket exhausts per se but they can be lower quality.

i would be more concerned with rust - which state is it currently in?

If you're getting a PPI consider paying them to pull the valve covers and look for broken head studs.   That and rust are the biggest expenses you can end up with, because repairing both costs big bucks but makes the car no better at the end.  Repacling a bad exhaust or even reconditioning a gearbox might cost a few bucks but the car is better for it.

Now, I'm no expert ... just an extra set of eyes.

If you zoom on on the cooling fan and shroud, you can see the oxidation of the metal and the coating ... that does indicate a salty environment which would coincide with Florida. 

I suppose the only worry would be ... that's what we can see ... what can't we?

Does it come with any history?  You can run a carfax report which should give you some idea of mileage accuracy and locations.

Florida per se isn't necessarily bad (but watch out for flooded cars) as it just like QLD in terms of climate.  Only an issue if kept outside which not many are.  But east coast cars in general have to be treated with suspicion like U.K./Europe cars.

Florida is also where a lot of scammers hang out for whatever reason. $40k is right up there for price for a 3.2 in a not great color and not presenting all that well (cool if you like the color but the market in general doesn't).

Last time I was in California there was a mint 3.2 with recent top end work and it was $45k. Decent 964s start in the 40k range (yeah I know you can't import them)

tread carefully would be my recommendation and don't rush a decision because there  are a lot of cars in the US so you are not stuck for choice.

My car is a CA/NV car and while the exhaust is a bit rusty everything else looks bright and shiny, including all the plated metal bits, torsion bar covers, you name it.  I have zero doubt mine is a rust free car just from the appearance of the fasteners.  

West coast cars are cheaper to ship as well as easier to go look at.  Return flights to la only $1k at the moment. 

Keep us posted.

Thanks Coastr

I  don't know much about gearboxes, is the G50 that much better than the previous model

mileage is much better in the red one though and looks to be better condition

with regards pulled head studs, I would assume that 60k miles is too little to have isssues, is that correct (ish)

Thanks Coastr

I  don't know much about gearboxes, is the G50 that much better than the previous model

Subjective ....

Better gearbox and shifts like a modern car as opposed to the analogue feel of the 915 ...

There are the usual split camps for both ... I like the old school feel of my AC, and others like the old school car with modern (ish) feel to the gear change.....

Thanks Coastr

mileage is much better in the red one though and looks to be better condition

with regards pulled head studs, I would assume that 60k miles is too little to have isssues, is that correct (ish)

not necessarily - nobody knows for sure what conditions makes them break.  Some theorise it is expansion and cold climate cars are worse. Some say it is manufacturing defects leading to corrosion leading to breaks.  It's basically the IMS bearing of the eighties - lots of theory and no scientific study.

there are those that say the 915 is better, however the market says g50 is better and they fetch higher prices. An 87 is a sought after model.

In fact if it popped up in a few months I'd probably be kicking the tyres myself.

Don't forget that a G50 comes with a hydraulic operated clutch as well that is also a little more pleasant to use than the cable one.

As for weight difference, I understand it's only 6kg. 

Given the choice I'd say go for the car with the best overall condition rather than lose sleep over what transmission is fitted as they both do the job OK

Archived