Rupes Bigfoot Orbital Polisher

Lucky Phil

Has anyone had any experience with Rupes Bigfoot orbital polishers?

I just popped into Autobarn to have a look at orbital polishers and pads and the guy talked me out of buying the $80 machines he had on special.  My paint chip guy gave me some tips on polishing and which pads to use and I decided to give it a go, starting on my wife's Mazda 2 before trying on the more expensive cars in the garage.  The trouble was the Autobarn guy said it was better to pay for the good stuff (Rupes) which are basically foolproof and gives better results than go for the cheaper one which could cause damage if you do something stupid.

He suggested the Rupes Bigfoot which colour matches the pads with the cutting creams and polishes.  I have looked up the web and the Rupes Bigfoot comes highly recommended.  It is $550 though as a starting price but I figure if it is as good as the Autobarn says (and basically foolproof) then in the long run I will never have to get my cars professionally detailed again.

If I get good after working on my cars I will probably start offering a service to PFA people who will have an opportunity to check out the results on my car at the next SMT or DAK DAK breakfast.

Before I jump into the detailing profession though I am keen to obtain feedback.  FYI there are also more expensive models which come with more creams and pads and carry bag for $1000 so if the feedback is good I may go the whole hog and start my car detailing business for friends and family before expanding out from just a hobby to a new part time job.

Phil,

Many of us are happy with the $300ish kit of machine and compounds you can buy from Car Care Products in Five Dock.  Suggest you have a look at their website.  They also sell the bigger dollar Rupes kits too.

Time value of money. I seriously looked into this as well but decided the 6+ hours (by all accounts on the detailing forums) to dedicate to the car to do it properly would be hard to find in my time poor life.   If you've got the time then go for it. I figured I'd start on my wife's RAV4 and then the family Pajero, make all the mistakes first and then move on to the 928 and then 911. But 6+ hours on each car adds up pretty quickly so I bailed.  Don't get me wrong, I've spent many hundreds of hours prepping for Concours etc so love it, but just don't have the time anymore.  That aside, the Rupes is def the go over the $80 cheapie that increases you chances of damage and doubles the effort and time.

Has anyone had any experience with Rupes Bigfoot orbital polishers?

I just popped into Autobarn to have a look at orbital polishers and pads and the guy talked me out of buying the $80 machines he had on special.  My paint chip guy gave me some tips on polishing and which pads to use and I decided to give it a go, starting on my wife's Mazda 2 before trying on the more expensive cars in the garage.  The trouble was the Autobarn guy said it was better to pay for the good stuff (Rupes) which are basically foolproof and gives better results than go for the cheaper one which could cause damage if you do something stupid.

He suggested the Rupes Bigfoot which colour matches the pads with the cutting creams and polishes.  I have looked up the web and the Rupes Bigfoot comes highly recommended.  It is $550 though as a starting price but I figure if it is as good as the Autobarn says (and basically foolproof) then in the long run I will never have to get my cars professionally detailed again.

If I get good after working on my cars I will probably start offering a service to PFA people who will have an opportunity to check out the results on my car at the next SMT or DAK DAK breakfast.

Before I jump into the detailing profession though I am keen to obtain feedback.  FYI there are also more expensive models which come with more creams and pads and carry bag for $1000 so if the feedback is good I may go the whole hog and start my car detailing business for friends and family before expanding out from just a hobby to a new part time job.

I have a friend who bought one.. . loves it. I ended up getting a Flex VRG.

Don't waste your money on the cheaper brands....

Hi Phil,

I have a Rupes Bigfoot, the sander version though.

Pretty similar to the polisher I'd expect, dual action, variable speed, but mine has a longboard sanding face, about 600mm x 120mm or so, which I bought  when repainting my boat.

Big and flat, so totally opposite for what you'd want on P curves. :)

Expensive as you mentioned, but really good quality and it will outlast me, unlike 3 other d/a machines I have used in the past.

Variable speed is perfect, and I'm sure the polisher is just as good. 

Yes I have one 6 inch and have had other brands also but the Rupes dual action 6 inch polisher with variable speed is the Best in my opinion ,and after 10 hrs of paint correction you will know why ,,,,but it depends on how much paint correction and detailing you are going to do ,,,there are other brands that can do the job just as good ,,really depends on if you want to spend the money and are going to do the work with it..........I rate it highly and use Rupes  pads white , blue , green , yellow and micro fiber cutting pads from Meguiars .........And have the full range of Menzerna polishes wax,s compounds etc and some other brands too but generally use Menzerna it works well and is designed for our P cars .. 

Go to Matts site ,,,most of the crap he has ,,, I use also ,,he knows his stuff,,

http://obsessedgarage.com/

The reason I have all this crap is simple I own a black 997 ,,,,and as I have said before black is not a colour it is a hobby :Chuckle2:

Archived