Oil cooler - front mount vs in guard

Gavn

I'm trying to decide between either a front mount or 'in guard' type of oil radiator to swap out for the current factory trombone type cooler in a '78SC.  The engine is close to stock and the factory trombone system works well enough for road use but I'd like to get the temps down a little on track days during the warmer months.  So the cooling I'm looking at would be at speed (i.e. sitting in traffic is not a concern).  The current front bumper setup has room for a front mount cooler.  Naturally there's also room in the guard for the later 3.2 type cooler to replace the trombone.

What are the pros & cons of these two options for track work?  I'm leaning towards front mount purely because the panel is there and I assume it's the more effective option...

Edit...should also mention that next time the engine needs to come apart we'll likely go for a bit more horsepower...3.2 - 3.4 so part of the idea is to future proof the cooling side.

takes me a bit longer for the engine to get up to temp with the front mount, but it is very stable on the track. if the panel is there, fill it in with a front mount oil cooler.

Thanks mate - how did you source the front mount & were you happy with the quality?

takes me a bit longer for the engine to get up to temp with the front mount, but it is very stable on the track. if the panel is there, fill it in with a front mount oil cooler.

what sort of temp are you getting at the track with that front mount set up Mate .........?

Thanks mate - how did you source the front mount & were you happy with the quality?

happy with quality no idea where i got it from, was many years ago

what sort of temp are you getting at the track with that front mount set up Mate .........?

stays a few spots under half way up the temp guage, never goes over half way unless you sit in traffic a long time.

setup is a DP front fascia, and has a fender cooler as well. stock ish 3.6L.

it's a hefty setup and wasn't cheap.

joSoz0X.jpg?1

happy with quality no idea where i got it from, was many years ago

stays a few spots under half way up the temp guage, never goes over half way unless you sit in traffic a long time.
setup is a DP front fascia, and has a fender cooler as well. stock ish 3.6L.

it's a hefty setup and wasn't cheap.

joSoz0X.jpg?1

Going big...

Gavin,

I changed my trombone to a radiator in the guard. SC engine (slightly worked).

I used to get a bit warm on Wakefield day’s, as soon as I switched to radiator in guard temps got all sorted, just past halfway after pushing hard.

I don’t really drive in traffic, so didn’t bother with the thermostat controlled fan or the air blockouts around the radiator.

Gavin, a little more exotic. 3.8. Thinking about ditching one of my guard coolers, keeping the first one in line and mounting a larger one in the middle of the bar. 

thats what i did with the white car, however on the orange car which is a bit more worked i had to keep the other fender coolers as well! could be down to airflow though- the DP front lip is a larger aperture.

Going big...

big but should fit in standard iroc/rsr front aperture as per above

IDT1P57.jpg?1

on the more worked longhood had to keep both fender coolers and the smaller central cooler

hqw81vl.jpg

thats what i did with the white car, however on the orange car which is a bit more worked i had to keep the other fender coolers as well! could be down to airflow though- the DP front lip is a larger aperture.

big but should fit in standard iroc/rsr front aperture as per above

IDT1P57.jpg?1

on the more worked longhood had to keep both fender coolers and the smaller central cooler

hqw81vl.jpg

Thanks - the pics help (I've currently got the iroc type).

Thanks for kicking this thread off. It has finally spurred me into action. Looking to grab a setrab extra wide (405mm wide) 15 row cooler and use it to fill the front aperture in the 964 bar and run it in series  to supplement the twin coolers in each guard.  

^^^ similar here in WA. You will have slightly more oil volume but that isn't a bad thing either. Cold engine doesn't bother me too much. Just keep the revs low and drive with sympathy until it's up to temp. 

pretty much, and takes about the same for the 915 to warm up as well anyway, what with cooler on the side of the 915 to keep it from grenading etc

I only ask, and maybe it's a bit different, but when I raced bikes, the team fitted a bigger cooler because it was noticeably overheating after 2 or 3 laps (a modded engine with 180hp), but we had to tape up the cooler for morning practise just to get it up to op temp. The engine felt very flat at 60 degrees then kinda woke up at 78 degrees. Was told you can cold seize an engine by running it hard at low oil temp, but I've no idea if that's true or not

I only ask, and maybe it's a bit different, but when I raced bikes, the team fitted a bigger cooler because it was noticeably overheating after 2 or 3 laps (a modded engine with 180hp), but we had to tape up the cooler for morning practise just to get it up to op temp. The engine felt very flat at 60 degrees then kinda woke up at 78 degrees. Was told you can cold seize an engine by running it hard at low oil temp, but I've no idea if that's true or not

shouldn't be an issue i'd say. you sit in the pits for a bit anyway waiting to go out, so usually well up to temp by the end of the warm up lap. that said, my cooler is fairly hefty and something smaller should suffice for a smaller engine.

Archived