911 purchase advice

Nicco

Hi all,

I am in the market for my first 911 and have been browsing various manual 996 C4S coupes for a while. I would appreciate feedback on whether a low km’s 996 C4S is worth the significant additional investment over one with higher km’s. Or should I consider other options?

Presuming IMS, PPI and service records are the same, a seal grey low km 996 C4s with around 40,000 km’s is asking about $104,000  approx $25,000 more than a similar black car with 100,000 kns. Are the extra km’s for a 13 year old car such a big deal given the premium for the low km vehicle? 

Alternatively an immaculate 996 with 60,000 km’s is asking around $65,000 and a black 997S with around 100,000 kms is asking $95,000

I really love the C4S shape so are keen on these but there are few of manuals on the market. To get a 06/07  997s with low km’s I’m up for at least  $130,000 which is a lot more.

This 911 won’t be my daily drive so looking for both a good investment as well as something special to enjoy. I also intend on hanging on to the car for many years.

Appreciate your thoughs please as there is a big $ difference between the straight 996 and the 997’s  

Nicco  

996 C2 probably the best value Porsche available; IMS is easy to sort, they handle like a go-kart, pull like a train and sound glorious. Once IMS has been fixed they are bullet proof and low cost to run considering its a high performance sports car - great car. The 996 C4S - everything above plus it is quite a rare car and has the most desirable looks of a 996, it will always demand a premium - great car. All 996's are probably close to the bottom of the depreciation cycle. They are real Porsches despite what any dickhead on the internet says (just like 928's are real Porsches :D ). I have owned two 996s (996 C4, 996 GT3), awesome cars.

997.1 S is not going to be significantly faster than a 996, IMHO you buy one if you want a more modern car, especially the interior. The 996 has a very 90's feel inside that some people love and some people don't. 997.1 Still carries a very slight IMS risk with the early cars. Porsche also went back to clean oval headlights that many people were happy about. Personally, if I was going to buy a 997 I would spend the extra dollars for a series 2. You pay more however the IMS worry is totally removed and the interior is yet again improved. They are a more desirable car hence they have held well in depreciation. Having said that, 991s are now getting close in price and as more come onto the market used they will probably push down the 997 values.

if you want a 997 look in the for sale section of the forum - yes it is a UK Car but price wise it is probably well under the odds if it were an Australian delivered car; last time I checked, only one factory in Stuttgart was making 911's regardless of where they got delivered.....

NOTE that low KM's isnt always a good thing, especially for cars that carry the IMS risk. Buy a car based on condition and service history, low KMs doesn't always mean that it was a garage queen - it might have been a stop start inner city car and thats not as good as an enthusiasts car thats been driven on long winding roads.

If you buy right, regardless of model, you wont loose money, thats not a bad thing. PPI for any Porsche is a must and budget a couple of PPIs in your ownership journey.

996 c4s with low come on the market quite often.  While some ask near $100k they tend to hang around a long time. In the $80ks they tend to go quicker. But remember we are talking asking prices here and actual transaction prices are an unknown. 

If this is the example you are talking about then it has been on the market for ages https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2004/SSE-AD-4449567

Yes that's the one but think the price is too high considering there are good 997S and 994S for 120 - 140k. There's a black C4S coupe asking mid 80's with 99,000 km's on Car Sales which looks better value and a lovely car. Has good service record but history is unknown. Or a very clean 996 with great history for $64,000 with 60,000k's. Ideally would like the C4S depending on what he will agree to sell for. Would definitely get a PPI including over revving test done on either. Thanks again for your feedback and all comments appreciated. 

44 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Interesting discussion:

Does the 4WD system on the 996s give trouble? Is that reputation, the reason for the lower prices?

Price for c4s is higher than c2. C2 generally considered to be purer experience though, so a non-S c4 would be a bit lower than an equivalent c2 (although some buyers like me may not care, and others may prefer C4). 

havent heard anything about unreliability of the awd system. And in 996 it is only 50kg heavier (whereas previous generations was more like 100kg I think). Front wheels also only take 5-20% of power (previous generations possibly more)

• 2 weeks later...

Mate my advice having just been through this journey for my first P is to try nail down your budget range first within 10k or so to leave some haggle room and then prioritise your criteria around what you want. It's all about trade offs because there are so many different great models and versions to choose from.  

IMO the only thing you don't want to compromise on is spending the $ on getting PPI's done at a reputable and P authorised service provider.  Aside from the driving experience and feeling you have about the cars you drive it's all about the quality of the service history and condition of the car.  

Drive plenty of different models until you can settle on what you like most.  There is no substitute for how you personally connect with the whole driving experience.

A common line I heard while on the " hunt " was once you buy one it will not be your last. I totally agree.  I settled on a 996tt manual which I am loving but was also close to settling on a 997.1 C2S a 997.2 C4S a 993 C2S and also considered a new 981 Cayman S. They are ALL great cars with a different feel and everybody will have their own opinion.  There is no right decision ... simply what feels best for you at the time.

As much as I love the Turbo I have now I can see myself still getting a 993 C2S at some stage.  I love the classic body design, different driving experience and smaller cabin/cockpit feeling.  I'm sure others will make a great case for the 964 and earlier models.  They are all so good.

My personal opinion is to go with a coupe and manual unless you are going to be driving in daily traffic.  Having said this the exceptions are when you get into the newer model PDK cars 997.2 2009 onwards from memory.  In the 991's most people seem to go with the PDK because it's so good.  Have fun in the searching and driving.

@Nicco theres a 996 C4 for sale here in radelaide. Silver. Looks ok. And it's just next to the Porsche centre. Maybe even a call to them and ask if they have looked at it. Been for sale for at least 6 months, so you could get it for a good price.

http://cars.belcar.com.au/view.php/all_stock/2003_Porsche_911_Carrera_996_MY04_4S_AWD_Arctic_Silver_5_Speed_Sports_Automatic_Coupe/5241747/

Archived