924 turbo ownership

MARTY

Hi guys can anybody with a 924 turbo give me some advice on buying one, are they more trouble than they are worth? i might have chance on the one from CTS any thoughts on that one? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers guys and Merry Xmas. 

I've owned my 924 turbo since 1999. I've recently rebuilt the engine and have tinkered on most parts of the car. 

Positives of the 931:

- Rare car. Non car people want to talk to me about my 911. Car people want to talk to me about my 924.

- Reliable. The 924 engine is relatively simple. I believe the turbos reputation for poor reliability was caused by the early turbo failures. This was caused by incorrect shut down. If you maintain a 924 well, they are very reliable. 

- Small and light - compared to modern cars, the 924 feels very nimble.

- The car is super practical for a sports car. 

Negatives of the 931:

- Parts can be tricky to source at times. I feel that generally, parts availability is getting better however you'll generally need to ship from OS. Many parts are NLA though, so you need to be willing to think outside the box at times.  Don't buy a 924 turbo thinking it will be cheap to own, I suggest the commitment required to own a 924 turbo is greater than the commitment required to own a 911 due to the challenges that rarity brings.

- It's much easier to find mechanics willing to work on 911s. As the 924 is still somewhat unloved many Porsche mechanic deal with them infrequently. This means that they are less familiar with them and possibly don't want the hassle of dealing with a 924. 

- The 924 turbo is a relatively slow car compared to anything modern. 

- Resale will require you to find a 924 enthusiast. These cars are a hidden gem though and have experienced price increases.

I looked at the pictures of the car at the CTS and thought the car looked neat. I would be looking for receipts for more recent work though as these cars can be expensive to get back to top order.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

I also own a 924 Turbo .... smiles per dollar are 100 to 1.

I haven't had mine long enough to comment on reliability etc, but I know that it starts every time I turn the key and gives me a thrill every time I drive it.

I think bear hit the nail on the head regarding parts availability .... can be frustrating as some are really hard / impossible to find .....

Thanks guys for all the comments so far some very useful information.As I write this I'm thinking to myself is it too much of a gamble? The cts car looks great but it needs to run as good as it looks.Ive noticed a red 924 turbo currently up for auction here in Melbourne which  looks ok but speaking with the last guy to service it basically steered me away from it because it doesn't run how it should and will cost $$ for it to do so and that is my concern with the cts car.

If you guys can think of anything else please let me know.

Cheers

Marty

Cheers Michel  they have sent through to me some more photos the car doesn't look perfect which for that price i think it should be, and i do think its the same car you mentioned it was in Queensland 2016/17 i checked this morning.

As much as I would like to think otherwise, the 924T just hasn't reached the $30k mark yet.

The only exception would be a "fully" restored one, in which case you would end up spending more than you could sell it for.

I know of a 924T in the UK that sold for about £50,000 but that was a nut and bolt restoration by a Porsche dealership for a competition that was being held for the anniversary of the front engined cars .... I believe it cost them more than that to restore and it was ... IMMACULATE!

For sure thats the Brisbane car that sat for a long time on $15k about a year ago

They are challenging old cars to bring back to life, parts are available but take some hunting down - so paying a little more for a car thats complete is worth it. Driving wise they have a special charm

Having said that, they are a labour of love and unlikely to make you wealthy any time soon

I note the CTS car is now under offer. Possible congratulations to Marty??

I'm of the view that clean examples of 924s are now $30k cars and as far as classic Porsche's go, that's quite a bargain in many ways. Just watch out for deferred maintenance, this will add some serious $$ to any Porsche if catch up is required.

Archived