Will Luxury Car Tax begin to be dismantled from 2019/2020?

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

I rolled up to the new mob I contract to in my 911 for the end of year drinks, and a couple of the bosses and employees said I was being paid too much to own a Porsche. I basically replied with '36 years of working various jobs, doing overtime or working 2 jobs, doing cash jobs for the last 10 years, past 5 years doing 5 days a week in normal job and a musician on the weekends, rarely have days off, don't have kids, have no credit cards or loans (except mortgage) and got lucky before the Porsche bubble, I think I'm entitled to own one!' 

They own old Monaros and/or new Range Rovers, and are in debt up to their eyeballs, go on overseas holidays, married with kids and single income, claim everything theyre probably not entitled to at tax time, and probably have more in the bank than I do (not hard to do that), but thats ok! 

Someone where i work said the same thing to me Lee and my reply was, your not paying me enough because i only have 1.

"Tall poppy syndrome" it is ingrained in our society unfortunately. anyone who steps outside of what is the "norm" of society is fair game..... 

My wife works for a charity and will not drive my car (Merc ML) to any events/ meetings for fear of reprisals.... yet my ML cost me far less than the fleet of econoboxes that the charity drives around in..... it will always be the same.....

I don't condone it, understand it, or like it...... (like much of our society today....)

Back on topic, I cannot ever see any government giving up such a lucrative tax, maybe they may shift the threshold a little higher?

On 2/19/2018 at 10:32 AM, sleazius said:

Further to this, the majority of buyers of expensive cars aren't enthusiasts. So how would you stop them? The lease is up, time to lease something else. How much it costs is irrelevant to this type of buyer, the only thing that matters is 'can I afford this lease payment?'.

You mean that cheap black one that you have had to put a kit on and fancy wheels to make it look fast.. its the GL model yeah ;) Amazing what you can do with a body kit now days .. tell em..  You might spawn a complete new generation of KLASSY style cars .. the 996 market will be flooded with cars with body kits , extra wide and loud ones..  Enjoy.. nice to see you have both

4 hours ago, symsy said:

You mean that cheap black one that you have had to put a kit on and fancy wheels to make it look fast.. its the GL model yeah ;) Amazing what you can do with a body kit now days .. tell em..  You might spawn a complete new generation of KLASSY style cars .. the 996 market will be flooded with cars with body kits , extra wide and loud ones..  Enjoy.. nice to see you have both

I stuck a fart can on it too. Sounds mint. Got it from Supercheap. Just need some dice now.

• 4 weeks later...

As I tell my kids, if you do the same as everyone else - the best outcome is you will be average.

if you do things differently, you will either be a success or a failure.

If you fail, you should learn from that and be successful.

But you won’t be average 

I believe LCT is being looked at currently. They are aiming to have something done by the end of the year. Speculation it will be a 50 percent reduction in LCT. Source was 60 percent reliable due to being one degree of separation away from person actually working on it and unknown to me.

Government reducing tax, on luxury items. I believe the same department that’s looking at flying pigs is working on it. 

Remeber Pyramid building society in Geelong Victoria? Went bust 25 + years ago. We had a tax applied to fuel to compensate the people who chased big returns. 

We still have that tax every time we pump fuel. 

5 hours ago, OUTATIME said:

I believe LCT is being looked at currently. They are aiming to have something done by the end of the year. Speculation it will be a 50 percent reduction in LCT. Source was 60 percent reliable due to being one degree of separation away from person actually working on it and unknown to me.

Who's the source, Donald Trump?

Archived