986 Rose Joint Assemblies

grantmr

At my recent service I was told that I need to replace my "Front and Rear Rose Joint Assemblies". I'm not sure what they are and google isn't being very helpful... Are they the ball joint on the end of the Control Arm? I suspect that the "assembly" part means that the entire control arm needs replaced?

It seems expensive at 3k incl labour. I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion - who in Brisbane handles this sort of work well?

rose joints are usually similar to ball joints, but without any of the absorbing rubber. Lamborghini Countaches have the whole front end done in them and they make the ride firm and precise, but bone-jarringly hard. If you have rose joints I'd assume they'd been retrofitted?

did they mean ball joints? or another suspension component? I'd go somewhere like DHM and get an opinion from them

Interesting..  My last service indicated a similar verdict from DHM regarding the front 'rose joint doohickeys'..  Saying that they will need to be looked at in the future, but nothing urgent.

That's on a 996 with likely the same / similiar underpinnings as Grants Boxster.

Thanks @ANF, I did see that but there's no mention of Rose Joints in there... I think it's one of these ball joints but I really don't know...

pic11.jpg

Edit: I've emailed the service rep asking for clarification, however it's Porsche Brisbane so it could take up to a week to get a reply

As far as I am aware very few production cars will have rose jointed suspension and I don't think the 986/ 996 is one of them (from images/ info I have seen - although it looks like a mod that some have done in the US), as stated above too harsh of a ride. Unsure how km your car has done, but eventually there will be some wear to the suspension joints and rubber fails as time goes on. There are many links in the suspension system....

Good luck with an answer :)

Grant...

The ball joints on the Boxters (and Carreras) tend to rattle on rutted roads when worn. I replaced all of the front suspension on my car including the drop links because of the noise.

IF your suspension is still quiet, then perhaps the OPC is misguiding you as its virtually impossible to replicate the rattle or feel the looseness in the arms when on a lift.

You can extend the life of the ball joints by injecting some lithium grease (not ordinary grease) into the rubber dust cover of the ball joint - it worked on my 986 rear suspension which I never replaced in 112,000km. 

After saying that, the suspension arms are not too difficult to replace and you can buy much cheaper OEM (Mahle) parts from Pelcan Parts (US) or Design 911 (UK).

Archived