Radio Cassette Wiring help needed

Dreamr

Hi All,

I just managed to pick up this 1980's beauty and need a little help from an electrical guru.

I will be able to get power to the unit but I am having issues with the speaker wires... it has a fader control so is able to run 4 speakers but the only other wires coming from the rear are to 2 x plugs (pictured) which look like they go to an equalizer or booster etc .... I'm assuming this is a factory fitted unit rather than a unit that has the loose wires.

The question I have is .... can these plugs be cut off and wired directly to speakers, or does this type of unit have to go through a booster that then has wires going to the speakers?

Thanks in advance .....

7VKEFab.jpg

6i9llsN.jpg

I should add that I have separated the plugs to look at the wires and they are not in coloured pairs like speaker wires should be ...

Also .... there is another large plug like the ones pictured with an end cap on it and has a sticker on it marked .... TO GEQ. 

51 minutes ago, Peter M said:

GEQ = Graphic Equaliser maybe?

What brand is the unit?  Is there any stickers on the case like a model number or something?  You can often find wiring diagrams if you Google the model number.

Hey Peter,

I also thought that about GEQ ....

I have googled and googled the make and model and can't even find a photo of it .... it's almost like it doesn't exist except that I have one so I know it does ...

It's a Clarion PT - 790D

Feel free to find something for me ...

14 minutes ago, Corki944 said:

Contact Monster car audio at Erina. they may be able to help......

Hi there by the way.....

Hey Stranger ....

Good to see you still around. Long time no catch up.

I appreciate the suggestion and believe it or not, I was there this afternoon with the unit ....

The dude pretty much confirmed what I thought and said that it would have been plugged into some sort of booster and that booster would be connected to the speakers ...

He also said that he has never tried to split the wires from those plugs and put them directly to speakers .... so I'm kinda left where I began and I'm asking on here if anyone knows can it be done ...

We need to catch up soon .... cheers.

15 minutes ago, jakroo said:

It will....use the force dreamr :Evil:

There are only a few sleeps between now and the All German Day, so best you get on with it.....

Thanks again for the "constructive" help ... :RockingDeath:

Looks like I'll have to bring the 911 ... what a chore that'll be ..... :LOL:

Oh,  constructive help.... Damn,  sorry mate,  I ran out of that yesterday. 

I'd try to find an old school stereo installer.... Someone from the 80's. 

They do exist and I'd put a few bucks on one being in your neighbourhood.

An alternative would be to contact someone who works in radio repairs (old school again, try vintage radio repair associations),  they might be able to help as well. 

4 hours ago, jakroo said:

Oh,  constructive help.... Damn,  sorry mate,  I ran out of that yesterday. 

I'd try to find an old school stereo installer.... Someone from the 80's. 

They do exist and I'd put a few bucks on one being in your neighbourhood.

An alternative would be to contact someone who works in radio repairs (old school again, try vintage radio repair associations),  they might be able to help as well. 

See what you can achieve when you try hard ....

Good suggestions .... it's for the 924 and I'd love to get it sorted without too much trouble.

Cheers ....

Many of my 7th grade teachers used the term 'Andrew is trying' on my first half report card.   I was proud of those until my parents told me how I should interpret that as ....trying my patience.....

Still on this occasion, I was trying.... To help. 

When I get home,  I'll have a look on the line for you,  I've been researching similar people for a valve radio I need repairs and many of those people are across a number of electrical devices such as older car stereo and oldish home stereo

Is there any writing on the unit regarding wattage output or the like?

Just so happens that the unit I have just pulled from my 928 is a AWA/Clarion unit.....

It has a wiring diagram on the back of it! Oopps, that was wrong.....  are there 2 x wires that have a black trace? (green/ black or grey/ black or something similar) - these will be your earths (L/H share one earth and R/H share the other)

There isn't a wiring diagram but it's not the power to the unit I'm worried about ... it's getting the sound to the speakers.

I'm pretty sure that those 2 x plugs go to an external unit that then outputs the sound via the standard 2 wires to each speakers . .. I'm trying to find out if the external unit can be bypassed and the speakers run directly from the wires in the 2 x plugs ...

Thanks for the suggestions ... 

Ronny,

Can you post a photo of the back of the unit please?  I can't understand why there would be 2 separate 6 pin DIN outputs and a picture is worth a 1000 words they reckon.

I would tempted to power the unit up and use a small speaker or ear piece to test the output pins.  The centre pin is most likely the output common and by manipulating the balance and fader you should be able to determine what channel is what.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't have the capability to run speakers directly at modest power of around 5 watts per channel.

Have you done a search on Clarion car amplifiers of that period?  That might give you a useful wiring diagram.

19 minutes ago, jakroo said:

You could of course see if you can work out what wire is what......and plug a speaker in to the wires....

5 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Ronny,

Can you post a photo of the back of the unit please?  I can't understand why there would be 2 separate 6 pin DIN outputs and a picture is worth a 1000 words they reckon.

I would tempted to power the unit up and use a small speaker or ear piece to test the output pins.  The centre pin is most likely the output common and by manipulating the balance and fader you should be able to determine what channel is what.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't have the capability to run speakers directly at modest power of around 5 watts per channel.

Have you done a search on Clarion car amplifiers of that period?  That might give you a useful wiring diagram.

I've taken the cover off the plugs and they aren't in paired colours like speaker wire should be .... 

I don't want to cut the plugs off and play with it until I know if it will work ...

Great suggestions to plug wires directly into the DIN plugs ....

Peter .... photo to follow. I also find it extremely odd to have 2 x DIN plugs instead of speaker wires .... I've never seen that before ...

13 minutes ago, jakroo said:

Be ready for this event???

Unfortunately not .... 

I do drive the 924T in short runs but as I haven't changed the cambelt yet, I'm not comfortable taking it on a long run yet.

Once the belt has been changed, I will be hanging to go for an SMT in it ...

2 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Ronny,

Is each wire shielded? 

Shielded??

I've contacted people for my valve radio using these sorts of places...

It's not directly a car radio suggestion but these guys may know someone who knows someone who can help....

http://www.avrs.org.au/links.htm

http://www.vk2bv.org/

https://vintage-radio.com.au/

I'd also contact Clarion and see who you can chat to.... they may not have anyone who knows this stuff but they may have a crusty old guy who knows someone who can look up the archives....

You just need to find the enthusiast who wants to dig up this info for you.  PFA probably isn't that place but a vintage/classic/historic electrical radio place will be.

@Peter M

Photos as requested ....

The wires coming from the plug are the power, accessory and earth ....

The 3 plugs hanging down are the 2 x DIN and the aerial ...

The white plug with the cap is the equaliser ....

nEsjQX4.jpg

Qazr9XM.jpg

7 minutes ago, jakroo said:

I've contacted people for my valve radio using these sorts of places...

It's not directly a car radio suggestion but these guys may know someone who knows someone who can help....

http://www.avrs.org.au/links.htm

http://www.vk2bv.org/

https://vintage-radio.com.au/

I'd also contact Clarion and see who you can chat to.... they may not have anyone who knows this stuff but they may have a crusty old guy who knows someone who can look up the archives....

You just need to find the enthusiast who wants to dig up this info for you.  PFA probably isn't that place but a vintage/classic/historic electrical radio place will be.

Thanks mate ....

I thought I'd just ask the question in case someone on here was one of those crusty old guys ..... :Chuckle2:

I know I'm going to have to look further afield and I'm happy to do so ... it was a "just in case someone knew" scenario while I search some more ....

I know you're old and crusty .... do you know??:cool07:

Archived