Radio Cassette Wiring help needed

Dreamr

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

There isn't a wiring diagram but it's not the power to the unit I'm worried about ... it's getting the sound to the speakers.

I'm pretty sure that those 2 x plugs go to an external unit that then outputs the sound via the standard 2 wires to each speakers . .. I'm trying to find out if the external unit can be bypassed and the speakers run directly from the wires in the 2 x plugs ...

Thanks for the suggestions ... 

That is what I was trying to say. The 6 wires (looks like 6 wires) should be 4 power (1 for each speaker) and 2 earth (shared between each side) - my wiring diagram shows this, and is of a similar era unit.

I will take a photo and post it up

11 minutes ago, ANF said:

That is what I was trying to say. The 6 wires (looks like 6 wires) should be 4 power (1 for each speaker) and 2 earth (shared between each side) - my wiring diagram shows this, and is of a similar era unit.

Sorry mate .... I've completely misunderstood what you said .... electrics are far from being my friend ...

I now kind of get what you mean ... I think that if I try putting the speaker wires into each contact, then I'll get an idea if sound will come out .... it now makes sense that the extra wire inside is as you've said ... a grounding for the plug when it's plugged into the booster unit.

Thanks!!

4 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Sorry I'm outa ideas.

Thanks for your help mate ... I've put a few radios into cars over the years but they have all been very straight forward ... this one is very odd.

I'm going to try the speaker wire into the contact idea .... wish me luck!

Power it up throw in a casset and using an oscilloscope and a few load resistors it is possible to characterize each pin in under 1/2 hour. Without any specifications being availabe black box analysis is all that is left.

17 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Power it up throw in a casset and using an oscilloscope and a few load resistors it is possible to characterize each pin in under 1/2 hour. Without any specifications being availabe black box analysis is all that is left.

I wish you lived in my suburb because i have no idea what you said, but it sounds like you do ..... :LOL:

8 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Unfortunately not .... 

I do drive the 924T in short runs but as I haven't changed the cambelt yet, I'm not comfortable taking it on a long run yet.

Once the belt has been changed, I will be hanging to go for an SMT in it ...

Shielded??

I reckon changing the timing belt would be easier than getting the bloody radio working! You've had months, what's the holdup?

3 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

I reckon changing the timing belt would be easier than getting the bloody radio working! You've had months, what's the holdup?

Mechanical knowledge = 10% 

Chance of stuffing up the timing = 90%

Cost of radio = $50 + my free labour 

Cost of professionally installed timing belt, rollers, water pump etc = +/- $750 

Took gap year off work and would rather feed family than fix car = car has had to wait. :(

12 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I know you're old and crusty .... do you know??:cool07:

nah mate, I'm not that old nor am I that crusty.....cheeky bugger.

And re the radio vs timing belt, I'm with Tingy.....it'd be easier to get the belt sorted.

I had mine done a few weeks back and it wasn't that expensive.  And I too have been out of work for a year.

Mind you, your comments re cost minimisation are making some sense, it explains why you're missing that second E in DREAMER - you simply couldn't justify the spend on buying another vowel....:P

44 minutes ago, jakroo said:

nah mate, I'm not that old nor am I that crusty.....cheeky bugger.

And re the radio vs timing belt, I'm with Tingy.....it'd be easier to get the belt sorted.

I had mine done a few weeks back and it wasn't that expensive.  And I too have been out of work for a year.

Mind you, your comments re cost minimisation are making some sense, it explains why you're missing that second E in DREAMER - you simply couldn't justify the spend on buying another vowel....:P

I might have to start selling some of those magazines that have taken over my garage .... :Sweating:  then I'll be able to buy that vowel ...

You may not be that old ..... but I'll hold my toungue on the crusty bit ....  :ph34r: :Chuckle2:

Archived