Hi All, 

New to the Porsche forum but would just like anybody's advice/opinion with regards to personally imported vehicles. I am considering purchasing a Cayman which was imported into Australia in 2013. It is still with the original owner who imported it. Is anybody aware of any issues which may present if I was to purchase it and then have to bring it interstate into SA. Subsequent inspections and insurance problems?. I appreciate they generally attract a slightly lower price, is there an average % they go for under an Australian delivered model?

Thanks.

CP

Hey mate, welcome to the forum. 

You should be right at Regency if any imported car has been registered in Australia, yet you may need to provide import approval papers when you have it inspected prior to getting SA rego. The inspectors know all about potential rust problems, especially with a UK import, so I'd be checking it thoroughly, and any other history prior to handing over any cash.

Regarding price, it all depends on how optimistic the seller is really. Some are 10 or 20% below an Oz delivered price, yet a couple I have seen in the past were on par which was a bit optimistic. As you may know, an imported car of any year is sometimes frowned upon by a buyer, as they normally want Oz delivered, so that can affect any future values, yet if that doesn't bother you, there is no reason an import shouldn't be a consideration, as they were built in the same factory and drive the same (yes, I own an import). If the car you're looking at is close to an Oz delivered price, I'd probably low ball them and see how you go

Thanks for the reply, especially the re the import approval papers (its currently registered in WA). Looking at the Cayman's currently for sale this seems reasonably priced especially as it has some good factory options, and decent kms. I will regardless of what I purchase be getting a full PPI, hoping rust would not be an issue as it is a 2007. Just more concerned re logistics of viewing it and transporting it over if I do go ahead and subsequent rego in SA, would hate to get it here and get knocked back on something as I have never done this before, but it appears ok at face value. Cheers.

53 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Hey mate, welcome to the forum. 

You should be right at Regency if any imported car has been registered in Australia, yet you may need to provide import approval papers when you have it inspected prior to getting SA rego. The inspectors know all about potential rust problems, especially with a UK import, so I'd be checking it thoroughly, and any other history prior to handing over any cash.

Regarding price, it all depends on how optimistic the seller is really. Some are 10 or 20% below an Oz delivered price, yet a couple I have seen in the past were on par which was a bit optimistic. As you may know, an imported car of any year is sometimes frowned upon by a buyer, as they normally want Oz delivered, so that can affect any future values, yet if that doesn't bother you, there is no reason an import shouldn't be a consideration, as they were built in the same factory and drive the same (yes, I own an import). If the car you're looking at is close to an Oz delivered price, I'd probably low ball them and see how you go

Has that discount theory been tested on "modern" cars??

I know on older ones there is that discount factor but I would have thought that trying to sell a modern import would be a lot harder as there are so many more local cars to choose from ... I've seen a few import 996's sit for ever and a day for sale on carsales....

Thoughts??

For a new car .. probably look for 10-20% savings .. for older cars .. I think its all about condition. So many imports and its a holy discussion

When do you stop paying the premium for cars imported with LCT .. god only knows .. maybe after 15 years is my call ... but everyone likes to see their cars hold value , its only natural I guess.

Aus delivered is still a sacred cow for some of the higher end cars , scarce cars.. cars that people put their money to be safe in .

I looked at a 997.1 manual turbo - as an example at 125-140k a year ago .. equiv cars were 170+

You will get many put their nose in the air , when you come to sell, so liquidation can be harder. 

If this is the way to a good car,  at a good price and you you wanna good drive , I still say go for it 

Happy hunting, could be a good thing with the original owner , firstly they aint loosing money , secondly it may be a passionate ownership and would have looked after it .. negotiate hard 

20 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Has that discount theory been tested on "modern" cars??

I know on older ones there is that discount factor but I would have thought that trying to sell a modern import would be a lot harder as there are so many more local cars to choose from ... I've seen a few import 996's sit for ever and a day for sale on carsales....

Thoughts??

As I mentioned, it depends on how optimistic or uninformed the seller is. I Have seen 2 earlier Cayman UK imports (one here in SA) for over $50k that sat for a long time, when similar Oz delivered cars were the same price or less. Also a UK 996 was $55k when similar condition/kms Oz delivered cars were under $50k. As we all know, it's supply v demand, so when there are loads of a particular model on the market, modern included, an import 'should' be cheaper by 10-20% 

29 minutes ago, LeeM said:

As I mentioned, it depends on how optimistic or uninformed the seller is. I Have seen 2 earlier Cayman UK imports (one here in SA) for over $50k that sat for a long time, when similar Oz delivered cars were the same price or less. Also a UK 996 was $55k when similar condition/kms Oz delivered cars were under $50k. As we all know, it's supply v demand, so when there are loads of a particular model on the market, modern included, an import 'should' be cheaper by 10-20% 

>30% is more like it. Or, if it's a UK car pay UK money (Pistonheads etc) as a guide.

10 hours ago, Arnage said:

>30% is more like it. Or, if it's a UK car pay UK money (Pistonheads etc) as a guide.

What Arnage said. In general terms I believe import common WC Porsches sell at around a 25 to 30% discount no matter what the tooth fairy believers think or advertise their cars at... they are hard to move unless the price is low o0r the car is perfect and optioned to the eyeballs. Here's an example https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2005/SSE-AD-4563223/?_ga=2.113909447.133953637.1524020047-1052736385.1523355385

Asking 22k urgent sale, probs will get 19k. Usual ask would be around 30k and receive around 27k

Hi, 

I'm not an engineer and don't know the SA rules and regs (disclaimer: covered!).  Having said that, the compliance plate (sticker) is issued as Australian compliance (rather than state specific compliance) - it should be present in the car and easily visible to the person selling (ask them to take a photo).  The following notes the resale of an imported vehicle and references checking registration requirements in your state (not much to read, but for reference): https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/selling.aspx 

As for why imports are good / bad, you'll have to ask others.  I couldn't buy an Australian delivered 997 when I was in the UK (...), so I've got what I've got.  It's been fine for 8 years and doesn't seem in any worse condition than others and hasn't been a money pit.  My other 4 cars in the UK (incl. one other now also imported to Oz) were all fine too.  Each to their own (price point / condition / etc), hey?!   I think an inspection is a valid point regardless of heritage.

Good luck.

On 4/22/2018 at 8:45 PM, CP Adelaide said:

Thanks for the reply, especially the re the import approval papers (its currently registered in WA). Looking at the Cayman's currently for sale this seems reasonably priced especially as it has some good factory options, and decent kms. I will regardless of what I purchase be getting a full PPI, hoping rust would not be an issue as it is a 2007. Just more concerned re logistics of viewing it and transporting it over if I do go ahead and subsequent rego in SA, would hate to get it here and get knocked back on something as I have never done this before, but it appears ok at face value. Cheers.

i bought my Hong Kong import from WA, though its a 78 SC that has been in the country for 16 years

I had no problems except for the inspector noticing my parking lights came on when I touched the brake pedal, yet was in and out within 10 minutes, and mine had average paint and is by no means a perfect car. a newer car shouldn't be a problem. 

As for transport, I used Ceva logistics, and it cost around $560 to Adelaide I think

Ceva damaged one I had transported and when I asked for the photo record of before loading they sent bs emails with nothing attached. 

I also got a flight over to WA on another occasion and drove it home. Great experience if you have time. F#@k ceva

Archived