Stuttgart & Nurburgring drive bucket list

Thommo66

I'm heading to Europe in June and looking to factor in some P mecca time by getting to Stuttgart as well as a trip to the Nurburgring to get to experience what looks like one of the bucket list experiences.

In some web surf research so far I found these 2 sites that look like great options of " best things to do ".  Any feedback from those intrepid travellers who have been there done that already and can provide first hand feedback and any recommendations on value ... must see things to do/go to and anybody who has had a great experience with any of these companies who offer the Nurburgring driving experience package.  Tips ... $ traps ... will be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

https://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/porschemuseum/

http://www.rsrnurburg.com

3 minutes ago, Thommo66 said:

I'm heading to Europe in June and looking to factor in some P mecca time by getting to Stuttgart as well as a trip to the Nurburgring to get to experience what looks like one of the bucket list experiences.

In some web surf research so far I found these 2 sites that look like great options of " best things to do ".  Any feedback from those intrepid travellers who have been there done that already and can provide first hand feedback and any recommendations on value ... must see things to do/go to and anybody who has had a great experience with any of these companies who offer the Nurburgring driving experience package.  Tips ... $ traps ... will be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

https://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/porschemuseum/

http://www.rsrnurburg.com

Porsche Museum of course in Stuttgart.  You've probably left it a bit late to try to get onto the Factory tour, Seems like 3 + months out, probably 6 is necessary these days.  If you are a member of a P club make sure you take your membership card for discounted entry fee to the museum and discounts in the museum shop.  Think the factory is closed for some time - annual holidays, I think June or July????  but pretty sure museum stays open the whole time.

There's a couple of guys here who have done 'ring and other racetracks close by, they should be able to chime in and give you some great advice

I haven,t been but also on my bucket list ..........My father went about 18 months ago ,,,did Porsche Factory and museum ,,,Mercedes museum ,,,,and a host of war museums ,aircraft museums ,, the Auto Technik and Zepplin museum .................,and other historical sites in Berlin and other cities in Germany over 2 weeks ..

In regards to the Ring he just went in a Hire car drove there payed the boom gate price similar to our toll roads and then when and had fun ..............lets face it nothing quicker than a hire car ....:Chuckle2:

Depends on how much time you have. If you have time, go and look at the Burg at Nurburg. A visit to the old towns on the Rhine and Moselle is worth a day or two. Linz, Koblenz, Boppard, Sankt Goar, Obervesel, Cochem, Trier, Rudesheim. The Auto & Technic museums in Speyer and Sinsheim are good.  Burg Elze is great.  A visit to the Siegenland and Westerwald areas - it's beautiful.  My family comes from there, on the river Sieg.  You can visit our family's old house - Burg Welterode, on the bank of the Eipbach in Eitorf, built in 1249.  There's a nice place not far away called Stadt Blankenburg. The smallest city in Germany.  And the list goes on. 

If your taking a significant other, I recommend a day or two here, we came across it by accident, now its a must whenever we head over (220km from Stuttgart) 

http://www.langenargen.de/,Len/Home+english.html

Zero car content(Zeppelin museum is close), but you will get brownie points, as its a postcard perfect quaint German village situated on lake Constance (Bodensee).

The Porsche factory tour is really hard to get in to as @TwoHeadsTas has mentioned, you need to get in and book it way in advance. Having said that it's still a good day trip wandering around the Museum, which is heavily motorsport based versus say BMW and Mercedes.

I've been around the ring a few times. Lots to see and do around the place if you're into motorsport. I've also rented with RSR before, hired an FT86 and the car was properly prepped with cage / seats / tyres / brakes. LHD manual on a track is interesting...

The only thing to be weary of is that the insurance excess is basically the cost of a stock unmodified version of the car you're driving and on the track in the case of an accident it's basically an "each bear own" situation regardless of fault, so you have to really consider your risk appetite. I think for the FT86 the excess was EU$10,000. 

Museum is incredible and can consume plenty of time.. also I found the factory tour reasonably easy to get into, I booked three weeks in advance. best to email them as they are very responsive and helpful. 

RSR is great. but I booked a cayman and they didn't have it that day and I got a BMW 235i as a substitute, which was still nice. but beware - that place (green hell) can be very expensive if you come off, so make sure you drive about 70% of your limit. They will charge you for everything if you even scratch the guard rails

Archived