997.1 Starter Cable

Tom M

Hi guys, it looks like my 06C2S has the starter cable issue (i.e. slow crank on hot starts). I've had it checked out by mechanic and they confirmed it's likely the starter cable and / or potentially the current bolt (battery is fine).

I've read a few forums here where people have replaced the cable as a DIY job however I'm not brave enough to attempt that.

I would really appreciate some recommendations as to where I can get this fixed (I'm in Melbourne) at a reasonable price (not looking for cheap, just fair). Also be great to hear what others who've had this issue were charged for the repair.

Much appreciated.

[mention=3141]Pokiou[/mention]  [mention=2436]Francois[/mention] and I just did this on Pokiou's car, definitely a DIY job if you're handy and patient.
Had mine done at PCM (before I was confident enough to do it myself), it cost me ~$800 including parts. 

Thanks Dan.
Having done it on mine (2008 997 CS), the job is a bit more painful than on a 996 as the cable is routed much further underneath the car on the 997.
I would recommend changing the starter motor at the same time if it's still the initial one, while you're in there.
I would expect a quote in the 1200-1500$ area for cable+starter.
If you're looking to DIY, design911 has a Dansk starter motor which I used. Cheaper than the Bosch and seems to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thanks guys, definitely not a DIY job for me. I have no experience with taking a car apart (wish I had) and would no doubt stuff it up and freak myself out.

I've rung a couple of the Porsche mechanics around town, some say its likely the starter cable, others say more likely the starter motor. Sounds like replacing both is the safe option!! 

Any views on PCM vs Weltmeiser vs Jocaro v Hartech? Feel free to PM me if you prefer but would certainly value your opinions as I'm still a relatively new Porsche owner and still working out the lie of the land.

Thanks!

Typically depends on which side of town you're on. 

I go to PCM, it's personal preference though as most of those independents have good reputations. 

There is also nineauto the forum sponsor and wessach in Coburg.

Thanks Dan, closest to me would be Weltmeister although PCM is not too far either. But would happy to travel further if it means I can get a better outcome / service. 

5 minutes ago, Tom M said:

Thanks Dan, closest to me would be Weltmeister although PCM is not too far either. But would happy to travel further if it means I can get a better outcome / service. 

Anytime, lots of options. 

All the places you listed are the best of the independents, just depends on what/who you're comfortable with. 

That's been my gut feel with Weltmeister to date but I don't have much to benchmark against so don't want to be unfair. What's your views on Jocaro? Seems to get good reviews on the forums. Will chat to NineAuto as well.

I paid over 1200 for a water pump on a Boxster at weltmeister. For less parts and less labour than what this job would be. I'd be interested to know how much they would quote for this particular job...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the thought but might have to mentally ease myself into the DIY thing. It’s my first 911 after years of procrastination!!

But that doesn’t mean I can’t buy drinks ? .  Do people on this forum meet up for events or drives (will have a bit more of a look around the forum)? Otherwise she’ll spend too much time in the garage!

1 minute ago, Tom M said:

Appreciate the thought but might have to mentally ease myself into the DIY thing. It’s my first 911 after years of procrastination!!

But that doesn’t mean I can’t buy drinks ? .  Do people on this forum meet up for events or drives (will have a bit more of a look around the forum)? Otherwise she’ll spend too much time in the garage!

Yeah of course! Check out the SMT section, there is a big one coming up towards the end of May.

24 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Yeah of course! Check out the SMT section, there is a big one coming up towards the end of May.

Cool thanks, had a quick look. Will definitely get into it. No doubt meet you guys at one of these soon. 

I had mine done at Welt (my local) 3 weeks ago.

Probably not the cheapest you would find however Ben, Jack and the team have been servicing mine for years and it helps they are 1km away from me.

PM if you want to know any specifics

On 5/1/2018 at 9:49 PM, Pokiou said:

while it might seem daunting... with a few drinks and meal you might be able persuade a few of us to come by and help... @dan_189 and @Francois ?? lol

If theres plans to do a job like this, im keen to join in - my 996.1 has the same problem. Already ordered and received a new starter/alternator cable and an alternator regulator, just havent figured out when ill get it done, too time poor! ?

Hi guys, car going in to Jocaro next week to have it looked at. Will let you know how it goes.

Another question please. On my spare key (original) the housing is cracking and it would be good to be able to replace. 

I see on rennlist there seem to be 3 options:

1) Go to a dealer and get them to supply and code a new key - sounds expensive

2) Buy a new key myself online and get dealer to code

3) Buy a key housing and transfer the internals over to the new housing. Key challenge here seems to be getting the transponder out and into the new key

Anyone tried this before? Any advice on best way to approach this? Haven't seen much on this site on this one.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Tom M said:

Hi guys, car going in to Jocaro next week to have it looked at. Will let you know how it goes.

Another question please. On my spare key (original) the housing is cracking and it would be good to be able to replace. 

I see on rennlist there seem to be 3 options:

1) Go to a dealer and get them to supply and code a new key - sounds expensive

2) Buy a new key myself online and get dealer to code

3) Buy a key housing and transfer the internals over to the new housing. Key challenge here seems to be getting the transponder out and into the new key

Anyone tried this before? Any advice on best way to approach this? Haven't seen much on this site on this one.

Thanks

Have done a fair bit of 996 key work not so much 997...  If the internals of the key are working you should be able to transfer it all to a second hand housing or new generic housing (not recommended) so option 3.

On the 996 you can buy the button half as a separate part not sure about the 997. 

Yep internals all working. I've read it's mostly easy to transfer the internals but the transponder is glued in there pretty good so might involve having to destroy the old key in the process of getting it out. So I guess worst case I stuff it up and have to get a new key coded so no downside to having a crack? But keen to hear if anyone's done it successfully to get some tips ?

Just now, Tom M said:

Yep internals all working. I've read it's mostly easy to transfer the internals but the transponder is glued in there pretty good so might involve having to destroy the old key in the process of getting it out. So I guess worst case I stuff it up and have to get a new key coded so no downside to having a crack? But keen to hear if anyone's done it successfully to get some tips ?

Interesting, the 996 transponder isn't glued in maybe the 997 is different then, that makes it trickier!

If you've got a spare i'd try and get it out, ultimately you might be up for a new key.

2 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Interesting, the 996 transponder isn't glued in maybe the 997 is different then, that makes it trickier!

If you've got a spare i'd try and get it out, ultimately you might be up for a new key.

Yep this is my spare so might have a look and see how hard it is to get out...

Archived