997 Tyre choices

aia

Guys,

I changed from Michelin PS2 to Michelin PS4s given they are supposed to be the latest and greatest.

The PS2's are being phased out according to the dealer.

What I have found is that after 10K's the back tyres  are 60% worn.  size  305/30/19

Yes they are super sticky but at least I want to get 12 months out of a tyre.

They can't handle semi rural roads just chews them up

Does anyone have any other tyre brands they would recommend that might not be as sticky but last longer.

Open to any thoughts on Conti's, Yokohama etc

Thanks

Its not the tyres its the car they chew inside edges on the rear when driving on bumpy roads. I don't even get close to 10K before they are stuffed. Changing camber and toe makes no discernible difference. The rest of the tyre will still be over 60%. So far I have used Bridgestone RE050A and Michelin PS2, PSS, PSC2

It really sucks but given our roads are so bad compared to ROW Porsche will never look at it.

35 minutes ago, aia said:

Guys,

I changed from Michelin PS2 to Michelin PS4s given they are supposed to be the latest and greatest.

What I have found is that after 10K's the back tyres  are 60% worn.  size  305/30/19

Does anyone have any other tyre brands they would recommend that might not be as sticky but last longer.

Thanks

:PissedOff: I only got 5ks out of Conti SC3's on a 993TT (normal daily driving) -- don't know what you're complaining about :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, aia said:

Guys,

Thanks

Looking at tyres too. How long did the ps2s last in comparison? 

To answer your question, I got about 25k's on the back out of the PS2's on the same roads

So I would have expected the PS4's would get the same.  However, in fairness the PS4's seem to grip better.

Based on that better grip and handling costs more $$.

Have had Conti's before and they seemed ok, till worn and then became slippery.

Might explore the cost of Yokohama's and hang out till we hit end of financial year sales

Thanks for the replies

1 hour ago, aia said:

To answer your question, I got about 25k's on the back out of the PS2's on the same roads

So I would have expected the PS4's would get the same.  However, in fairness the PS4's seem to grip better.

Based on that better grip and handling costs more $$.

Have had Conti's before and they seemed ok, till worn and then became slippery.

Might explore the cost of Yokohama's and hang out till we hit end of financial year sales

Thanks for the replies

We've got about 35kms out of Conti CS3s on front of our 987, and about 25kms on back (apart from puncture replacements ?)  Recently put some Bridgestone RA005's on the front that I got a real good deal on, debating about the back at the moment as at least one of those is pretty much due for imminent replacement before winter really sets in (Wife's daily ), may either stick with Conti's or probably match the Bridgestones if there's not too much price difference (I can be a tight arse....)

12 hours ago, aia said:

Intesteing as when I spoke to the Victorian Michelin rep he advised there were no plans to phase out the PS2's - this was for a 18" in standard 996 size though as PS2's and P-zero Rosso are the only two N rated tyres available.

PS4's whilst newer aren't N rated (again referring to the 18" 996 size). 

However if you dont buy into the coverted N rating... doesn't matter! 

Interesting !

I'm due for x2 new fronts and am currently running PS2s which have served me for about 25K kms. Naturally was thinking of 'upgrading' to the PS4s soon but keen to find out if this is a once off or if others have experienced similar issues.

I know quality control would be thorough in the tyre world with the big known brands, but maybe you got a 'bad batch' ?

On the side of every tyre there's a production date of when each tyre was made and from what I've heard from a rep; that anything over 5 years old should be thrown out according to standards!

Quicker wear could maybe also depend on where the tyres are stored by the tyre fitter/dealer. I'd imagine out in the direct sun or rain for a number of years just sitting there not fitted could have an impact on durability.

21 minutes ago, 911 Snake said:

On the side of every tyre there's a production date of when each tyre was made and from what I've heard from a rep; that anything over 5 years old should be thrown out according to standards!

According to your owners manual as well! If anyone's actually read it cover to cover... not that I have haha :ph34r:

Note:
Under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used on your Porsche.

Ok, so given I have had the car 2007 3.6 manual for more than 6+ years and a few different brands this is my summary

Caveat on am driving on semi rural roads which will chew tyres up as well

Bridgestone - were hard as nails but slippery on a damp road

Pirelli pzero - wore out too quick and were the most expensive

PS2's - good grip good k's around 25k

PS4s - best grip but won't last 20k

Conti's - pretty good grip, but when they went off they were just dangerous

So that's it do what you wish and research yourself, for me if I can source another set of PS2's, that will be it or I will try Yoki's

Ok, I am curious

Do you have a picture of what an old prostitute who has performed 15k's looks like.

I must go to bed too early to see this fine example??

Post picture please

Archived