Importing Porsches from the UK to Melbourne?

911virgin

I've crunched the numbers and came to the conclusion that more often than not, importing pre 89 from the UK wasn't cheaper, especially when you consider the lower resale value (compared to Aus. delivered cars). Mixing in the risks of buying a rust bucket, my view was that you'd need someone on the ground in the UK to filter the 'cheap' cars for you.

Costs to consider are GST, duty, shipping and compliance. Feel there is a reason many Australian Porsches are now being purchased and shipped to the UK. 

Later model cars seems to be cheaper, however you can't import them so it's all just academic anyway.

Australian dollar fallen too far. Too much Rust in the Uk

Importing from the US still just makes sense if you:

1. don't mind LHD (it really is ok)

2. get a good one  - cheaper to buy, worth less here, but you can still be ahead

This notion of Australian delivered cars are better is just... nonsense... it's not like Porsche built cars here in Australia.. They are all imports, id say who cares. I'm looking at a UK delivered car now. It doesn't take away that the car is a 911 one bit. Or whether id enjoy it or if i took it to Porsche they will refuse to service it.

Salt is a concern for U.K cars but a well looked after car is a well looked after car no matter which country you live in, you get loads of low mileage cars that have probably never seen salt on the roads and just been stored away.Most cars over time will get the inevitable rust issues but have to say as  @bear924 says after all the taxes paid its probably not worth the effort unless its a car that is a low build number.

HK and Japan still options to source RHD cars….   I can tell you Australian beaches and the salt air , can do as much damage as the UK salty diet.

I also think unless your doing inspections by drilling holes and scope and or cutting some sections with a plasma cutter you will not get a true indication of rust, especially in older cars. This would go hand in hand with a bare metal stripping if you want to be really sure.

For some UK cars you will find that they would have by now gone through full resto , where as many our local cars are just holding in there. Dont kid yourself if you think Aus delivered is some kind of magic….. no rust prayer, its a matter of time.

• 3 years later...

Totally agree. Had a beautiful UK 1987 Carrera - imported from us by prior owner - and serviced at Porsche Melbourne who said really as long as it was looked after it wasnt a problem and mine was clean. Only rust issue was brake dust covers which were easy replacement.

will be lower than Aus car because can’t show the false perception but ok if you get a car cheap enough  

$$$ a close run thing. 

Archived