Removing/ Polishing scratches from window glass.

Jason E

Can anyone recommend a good quality kit to polish scratches out of glass?  I've purchased a used drivers door glass that has a few scratches that I'd like to remove before fitting.  Any hints, tips, magic or skills greatly appreciated...

Depends how deep. Main thing is not to get the glass too hot , esp if using an orbital tool. It's a slow process.
I have used cerium oxide powder , you can buy on the net. Make a wet paste. I'm sure there are kits also.

I had a scratch in the windscreen when a million to one thing happened and a stone lodged between the wiper blade and wiper blade mount and scratched a nice big arc.  I took it to a windscreen repairer and he polished it out in no time for a reasonable cost.

The scratches on the original window are horrendous - $300 to get polished out by a local company.  A new genuine window was $550.  I bought a used window for $200 which has some shallow scratches but I want it to be as scratch free as possible before I fit it.

• 1 month later...

You can buy the jewellers rouge for a few bucks to polish out scratches on glass using a dense cotton bobbin on your power drill as a simple and cheap DIY solution.

The only issue with doing it on the windscreen is optical distortion due to changing the shape of the glass, so only polish the minimum area, and keep it cool, so consider doing it in several sessions.

For side windows not really much of an issue.

Archived