Unsprung weight - wheel/tyre combos

Interested to know what weight wheel/tyre set ups people have discovered. I found 996.1 GT3 wheels with new Pirelli pzero 295/30zr18 @ 26.5kg to be 2kg heavier than the worn pzero 285/30zr18 on same rims. But aftermarket rims with new Dunlop Z3 285/30zr18 were only 20kg...

13 minutes ago, 356993??? said:

Interested to know what weight wheel/tyre set ups people have discovered. I found 996.1 GT3 wheels with new Pirelli pzero 295/30zr18 @ 26.5kg to be 2kg heavier than the worn pzero 285/30zr18 on same rims. But aftermarket rims with new Dunlop Z3 285/30zr18 were only 20kg...

Mmmm, I have some brand new Euromeister GT3 look alikes with new 285/30zr 18 PS2s on them, if I get the chance I'll weigh them for comparison purposes....

• 3 weeks later...

When I was looking for tyres a few years ago for my Audi I was surprised at the variability between tyre weights.

I had just gotten hold of some light weight forged HRE P43S wheels and the last thing I wanted to do was put heavy tyres on them. 

I had originally installed Vredestein Vorti for price and performance but ended up with Continental SportContact 6 which were almost 2kg per tyre lighter! On closer inspection the Vorti also looked 10mm wider. I ended up saving about 3kg to 4kg per corner in comparison to the OEM wheel/tyre combo which made a noticeable difference. 

Hard to find tyre weights published these days but I had found this review at the time comparing  weights for various 235/35/19 tyres:

http://www.road-to-zero.com/tyres/the-best-tyres-2016-evo-tyre-test/

Not sure how relevant it is now but the variability in tyre weight as listed is quite substantial. 

I think its worth weighing before you buy. Not sure if they are accurate by I think tirerack used to list tyre weights. 

2016 235-35-19 Evo Tyre Weights.jpg

When I changed from used tyres on standard rims to new tyres on OZ Racing Allegerita HLT rims on the Boxster, I saved 1.2kg each on the rears (much wider 295 profile vs stock 245) and fronts saved 2.8kg each (same profile as stock).

All up I saved almost 10kg on wheels/tyres.  Changing to coilovers also yielded a saving, but I didn't weigh prior to installation - my arm-ometer can tell there was a weight saving.

Archived