356 Purchase advice...???

Caver

What should I be looking for?

Check Chassis No. is correct for a Super 90

Check the Engine No. and make sure it is the correct one for the car. Don't want to find out later someone has swapped in a 1600 from an A (or heaven forbid - a VW engine).

Drive it. It shouldn’t crunch gears, smoke, rattle or make grinding noises from the box or motor.

Not stopping straight isn’t a major issue. Usually just adjustment. But – make sure the drums aren’t warped and have plenty of metal left inside where the shoes contact.

Look for rust – everywhere. They cost a bomb to repair because of how they are constructed. At this age it’s probably been painted once or twice so check colour code on the build plate is correct colour.

Trim & interior not a major issue but still costly to redo properly if it’s tatty.

What should I pay? LHD will always be less $ than RHD for coupes. Price depends on condition. Could start as low as 15k for a project to 65k+ for a good one.

Do I get an inspection? Good idea to get somebody to do the mechanical once over as engine and gearbox rebuilds are not cheap.

Having said all that – they are absolute FUN to drive.

Yeah, thanks everyone...I was mighty suspicious of it. I was never going to part with any dosh unless I had the keys in my hand. CarSales also wrote stating that it was a fraud.

What rotten people...these types?

Thanks again for your support. I'll stick with the Boxster.
:D

Archived