997.1 sticky knobs and worn scuff plates

911virgin

12 minutes ago, 911virgin said:

can anyone explain why this sticky radio knobs thing  happens in so many 997's?

and cant Porsche build the scuff plates so they don't get so beat up?

Sticky knobs are probably from old "soft touch" paint. This stuff is notorious for degrading over time.  The scuff plates are just doing their job. ie. getting scuffed.   Cost & weight savings were achieved by using painted/plated plastic parts instead of pressed alloy parts.

Most cars of the era had this coating on control knobs, etc. Get some Goo-Gone or similar and remove the coating, was hard plastic under on my Merc, should be same on Porsche? Citrus based and great for getting rid of all sticky residue!

7 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

my 2003 Audi has the same shit coating, they all came to their senses late 2000`s and did away with that crap 7.2 doesn`t have it

Soft touch paint is still used for low cost auto trim parts.  The formula has improved (supposedly)  It tends to get used on surfaces where human contact is infrequent.  ie top of dash pads. Worst I saw was a late 90's VW door trim.  Only a few years old and a big sticky mess.

If you're in Melbourne BM Leather creations are the go to people to fix this - 2 Amsterdam St Richmond - insta @bmleathercreations - I see so many cars of this era pop up on his instagram so it's not just a Porsche issue of the period.

You can buy the replacement radio knobs they are around $25 U.S from a number of online stores eg Pelican or suncoast  ..........I have never had this issue with the knobs in my car from what I read about the problem it has a lot to do with things like hand moisturizers ,,perfumes and aftershaves that react with the rubber making soft and gooey ,,also some car interior products have also be claimed to cause the issue ..

The fan and temp switches are also a area prone to premature wear and being sticky also  ...these are common problems with 997.1 center console ...

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKPCM9971KNOB.html