GT3 Tyre Advice

Nicko

Hi Guys, 

Is anyone out there running Michelin PS4’s on their GT3? I have a 991.2 and the Cup 2’s are very good in the dry, but not great on cold wet tarmac. I want to use the car all year and I am driving to SE Qld on the mountain roads again next month, the PS4’s are great in all weather on my C63, but that is a very different car, so just wondering if anyone here had any first hand experience with them on our cars. 

Cheers, Nicko 

I run Pilot Sport 4S on my 991.2 GTS and have the same tyres on a heavily modified SS Redline which puts put 425 rwkw and 740Nm of torque. 

I did have the sport cup 2s  on the Redline but they were absolutely atrocious in the wet or even when they were cold. They need heat to become effective and diving around short distances and cooler/wet days they sucked. 

Have just returned from Targa Tas Tour, and id say over 70% of cars in the group of 37 had Cup2’s.  The rest had Pirelli (only a few) I had Dunlop (only me on them), other iterations of Michelin (yes PS4 and PS3 -most were likely due to size availability on the Caymans) and I noticed one Cayman with Goodyear. We were not mucking around speed wise.  The roads over the week ranged from dry, loose stones, damp, greasy, saturated, damp and green (moss) and predominantly cold. People started the week with reservations about the Cup2s if it was to be wet, but from what I heard, ended up being impressed with how they performed. A few Targa race cars had Dunlop Sportmax 8000?! something which didn’t appear as being R spec tyres. I didn’t see any actual Targa race car on Continentals or Pirelli (many had Dunlop, Yokohama or Kuhmo).

I have a set of wheels with PS4s and another set with PS2 for my 991.2 GT3. I use the PS4s for cold/wet conditions and general country driving and the PS2 for track and the occasional spirited drive in the high country (but only when it is dry). They are different tyres with different feel and the PS2 are louder. The GT3 with the PS4s is still an excellent drive and you quickly get used to them. The PS4s and are a better all round tyre unless you are pushing the limits. The wife complains about the PS2 because she keeps stepping the back end out when they are cold😱

The Cup 2's perform well in the wet, I got stuck in one of my cars on the way to Canberra in a very heavy storm with standing water over the highway for 30-40km and they dispersed the water fine.

If you don't track the car though, no point having them IMO.

2 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. What second set of wheels do you have Redracn? I was thinking of doing the same. 

I went with OEM Wheels and picked up the TPMS sensors at a fraction of Porsche prices from Germany.

19 minutes ago, Nicko said:

OEM wheels from Oz?

Yeah AUS ones as  the exchange rate is so bad it came out about even. Even forged aftermarket ones were similar $ and I don't mind the OEM look. There are inferior cast and flow formed for less $.