996 HID Lamps - Regency Inspection Issues SA

Hi There,

Im new to this, ive had my 996 for about 2 weeks im in Adelaide. The Car is a Singapore import originally but to get it registered ive had to have a full inspection and they picked me up on 2 things, one the rear spoiler impeding the view of the brake light (I can live with that and have a solution coming) but the other is difficult. I have HID lamps and it looks stock from the factory  but the inspection report says "headlights are HID, return to standard H type of globe or fit self washing / self leveling lights". I went to Buicks and apparently it isn't as simple as swapping out globes. Any advice or help or parts to get me through the inspection I would hugely appreciate.

Ive been told to get in touch with Leigh?

Not sure if im supposed to provide my number but here it is 0409235055 - Michael. FYI, I love the car and im happy with it.

Thanks in advance for the use of this platform.

Welcome to the Forum.

Was your 996 registered in another State before SA - if yes, then that ruling for your lights is a super high level of nitpicking by inspectors.

I imported a nearly new car from Japan with HIDs & it didnt have headlight washers. It was a pain to put ordinary globes in and then put the HIDs back in later. My suggestion is to see if you can borrow some correct headlights to get you through the test.

The 996 was in VIC for 4 years and QLD for 9, I just got it from QLD it was registered in each of those states so yeah, its all pretty frustrating, but I gotta play the little game I guess...

Zelrik911 - Your second paragraph sums up what I need to do I think, I am not sure if my wiring looms and plugs ect will fit, thats my concern, but if there is anyone in Adelaide who thinks they may be able to help, ill be forever in your debt and I will not mess you around.

Thanks for the you tube video, its amazing what knowledge you gain in a short period of time when you have to....

Thanks guys.....ill put a pic on here when my skills on the forum evolve but its an Arena Red with Grey / Black interior and GT3 wheels. 1999 130,000kms.

3 minutes ago, MickyBobby said:

The 996 was in VIC for 4 years and QLD for 9, I just got it from QLD it was registered in each of those states so yeah, its all pretty frustrating, but I gotta play the little game I guess...

Zelrik911 - Your second paragraph sums up what I need to do I think, I am not sure if my wiring looms and plugs ect will fit, thats my concern, but if there is anyone in Adelaide who thinks they may be able to help, ill be forever in your debt and I will not mess you around.

Thanks for the you tube video, its amazing what knowledge you gain in a short period of time when you have to....

Thanks guys.....ill put a pic on here when my skills on the forum evolve but its an Arena Red with Grey / Black interior and GT3 wheels. 1999 130,000kms.

Ah you brought the auto from Tugan/Currimbin. He finally got realistic on price after a while, looked good and was on my radar for an auto DD. Arena red one of my favourite colours, GT3 rims suit well, looked very nice.

20 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Ah you brought the auto from Tugan/Currimbin. He finally got realistic on price after a while, looked good and was on my radar for an auto DD. Arena red one of my favourite colours, GT3 rims suit well, looked very nice.

Agreed. Love that colour that he 'bought' 🙄😉

The following is for historical background discussion only - on what they sometimes did with JDM cars to get them past RAWS compliance. 

The original HID globe was taken out and carefully stored. Then they modified the frame of a cheap standard H7 globe so it could fit into the same spot as the D2S HID.

They then used a standard H7 socket plug temporarily spliced straight from the original power before the ballasts.

The D2S socket & ballast remained in place,  just tucked out of the way. This complied to the letter of the law but was a little bit naughty.

Very few original bits were fiddled with, in making these alterations.

Zelrik911 - This is what I needed mate, I was just about to ask for some more detail on why it will not work just changing the globes over, but I think this gives me the answer. I will get my hands on a H7 (or I just saw on a post the original globe is a H9 65w single filament lamp) lamp and have a look at how different the structure is . If I can get it to fit, I guess the rest  is just some temporary wiring. I was thinking of hitting up the local Auto Sparky with my problem after ive done some of this leg work.

Thank you for this....im still searching for a fix, I am hoping I am getting closer.......I just want to drive my car, its so nice, I took a gamble with buying the car, I didnt see or drive it, I just trusted a couple of people, took a bit of a risk, but the car is fantastic. I just got to get SA Plates on it then get on with my life! Then I can cruise with some of you blokes and roll up to a sunday morning coffee and Porsche thing and love it. Ive wanted a 911 all my life and still cant believe there is one in the Garage...

firestone - id love to be able to do this, first id need to find a willing person with the headlights to let me borrow them for a morning, but then there may be an issue with all of the plugs and wiring and stuff? Im not sure it would just swap straight over? I think it is a different set up for the HID lamps with balasts etc v the stock h7 in terms of plugs and wiring.

Then there is the option with the HID lamp to swap my set up temporarily with an HID with self washing / leveling lamps, but I believe that that will need additional wiring and plugs too to make it all work. Then I need to find someone with the lamp set up to swap for a morning too. There is a wrecker here in Adelaide who says he has some of these, but I don't know what he is going to charge me? I don't really want to buy them.

Im still flying blind to an extent, I haven't seen in person any of these options, im just gathering information. This weekend im just going to buy a h7 lamp and see what mods I need to do to it to have it fit my globe holder, just to get the ball rolling. If I can get it to fit, then hopefully rigging up the wiring to make it work wont be too hard and I may get an Auto Sparky involved

Thank you......appreciate all of this

Not sure whether it is still possible for you to do, however the last 2 X 911's I have had were purchased in MEL and bought to ADL.  With both of them, I had a garaging address in MEL (Friend) so kept the cars registered in VIC for 6-12 months depending on rego left when I bought them, then transferred to SA Rego.

Because I had "owned" the cars in VIC and they were registered in my name there, it was just a case of drop the VIC plates off and get new SA Rego...no checks at all (The "sales tax" was paid when I transferred the rego in VIC, so none payable in SA either).  1 was a 1984 3.2 and the current one is a 996.1.

I am guessing your car is not still registered in VIC?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all those who chipped in to help.

Good news, ive got SA Plates on it, I ran with Zelrick911's suggestion, I got through, the guy didnt even turn the lights on. I had many sleepless nights thinking of scenarios where they would thoroughly check everything. However the check took 3 minutes and that was mainly completing paperwork.

Now im just getting the rear deck cover and a passenger mirror painted, then im done. To the hills we come.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

1 hour ago, MickyBobby said:

Hi to all those who chipped in to help.

Good news, ive got SA Plates on it, I ran with Zelrick911's suggestion, I got through, the guy didnt even turn the lights on. I had many sleepless nights thinking of scenarios where they would thoroughly check everything. However the check took 3 minutes and that was mainly completing paperwork.

Now im just getting the rear deck cover and a passenger mirror painted, then im done. To the hills we come.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Nice one mate, congrats.

We're at cars n coffee, Cafe Bravo on The Parade Norwood tomorrow. Should be quite a few Porsches there if it's not chucking it down with rain

Thanks for the offer Lee, obviously I missed it, I need to log in more!

Im still waiting to get the mirror and rear deck parts back from the paint shop, hopefully tomorrow, then ill be up for meeting you guys.

Thanks again for being so welcoming, I do want to get the car out and talk Porsches and drool over some other 911s.

Cheers