Seeking Porsche product brochure for 981

Monyx

There is only so much information a brochure will give you. I highly recommend that you test drive a 987.2 and 981 as they drive differently. The 981 is far more refined and larger than the 987.2. IMO, your have to break the road speed limits in a 981 before you have fun in one. You don't get the same sensation of speed you do in a 987 in a 981 under 100km/hr on a twisty road. The 981 is a great car but like many other models from other manufacturers, it has become more refined over the previous generations (and heavier). You will feel the weight in the corners.  I have driven both (plus the 718S) and will not trade my 987 for a 981 for this reason.

Suggest you download the on-line version of the 981 owners manual - not sure sure on exactly information you are searching for but it includes detailed user guides, video instructions and functional instruction - I think it was done by Porsche Cars North America - search “Porsche good to know” in the Apple App Store.

3 hours ago, Apogee said:

There is only so much information a brochure will give you. I highly recommend that you test drive a 987.2 and 981 as they drive differently. The 981 is far more refined and larger than the 987.2. IMO, your have to break the road speed limits in a 981 before you have fun in one. You don't get the same sensation of speed you do in a 987 in a 981 under 100km/hr on a twisty road. The 981 is a great car but like many other models from other manufacturers, it has become more refined over the previous generations (and heavier). You will feel the weight in the corners.  I have driven both (plus the 718S) and will not trade my 987 for a 981 for this reason.

Apogee, I have the opposite experience.  Whilst I loved driving our 987.1 manual S (which we had for 5 years), I actually think our 981 PDK is actually a far better car to drive, more fun, handles better, love the PDK, but it has  a different exhaust note to the 987, not sure if I like it better, they are each different, and I think suit the different cars

11 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Apogee, I have the opposite experience.  Whilst I loved driving our 987.1 manual S (which we had for 5 years), I actually think our 981 PDK is actually a far better car to drive, more fun, handles better, love the PDK, but it has  a different exhaust note to the 987, not sure if I like it better, they are each different, and I think suit the different cars

I notice that you live in Tassie, I've been there and you have access to much better roads where the speed limit is 100 km/hr for twisty roads, you also have a much smaller chance of getting caught speeding esp in the many backroads that Tassie has (I'm really envious). The nearest (small) stretch of twisties I have access to has a limit of 80km/hr. I have to drive 700km to Bright in VIC before there are 100 km/hr longer lengths of twisty roads where I can really stretch my Spyder's legs. 

The 981 definitely has better performance over the 987 but the catch is that it is more refined so one has to drive faster to get that sensation of speed IME (as you are more cocooned form the elements). I hired a 718 Cayman S PDK (same platform as the 981 just a diff engine) from the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart last year and drove it on the Autobahn to Switzerland for a few days, Drove it on the Furka, Grimsel and Gotthard passes. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

But to each his own - that is why I suggested that the OP drive both before deciding. 

I have the 981 brouchures in pdf if you are still looking for them. See attached. I also have the 981 GTS and GT4 ones as well if you want them but there is an upload limit to post. 

Good luck with your search. The 981 is a great car if you can stretch the budget. Though 987 is also a great platform. 

PDK is also great depending on your style of driving. I think for Targa style drive days with 20 or 30+ turns PDK is a huge advantage. Manual is maybe just a little bit more fun around the street and on the track.

Porsche 981 Cayman.pdf Porsche_Cayman_981_Brochure_201312.pdf

Thanks for the thoughts - while I don't intend to buy off spec sheets, I take a keen interest in knowing facts vs perceptions e.g. a post above said the 981 is more refined and heavier - in fact the 981 manual is lighter by 25kg & 35kg for S, combined with wider track etc would contribute to improved handling so despite tech and enhancements I'm impressed they are knocking that kind of weight off with a new model undoubtedly laden with more safety etc.

I have test driven a 981 S PDK, back to back with my then ride a 311kW Lexus ISF saloon - suffice to say after an all too brief drive up a single lane sweeping road I vowed to get a true sports car. (Lexus has grunt, but heavy and not one to throw around corners). Next month I am booked in for the Porsche Driving Experience: Precision Level 1 where I'm informed the list of vehicles to be driven include: Cayman, Cayman GTS, Boxster, Boxster GTS, 911 Carrera, 911 Carrera GTS Coupe, 911 Carrera GTS Cabriolet, Macan S, Cayenne, Panamera 4 (4WD just offroad demo I believe).

I am cross shopping 987.2 S vs 981 2.7L - different beasts yes, but that is the price range I'm looking at and the sharper, more modern look of the 981 + interior and handling improvements weight heavily against S performance of 987.2. That is the theory - as you say driving will tell the story - but a little hard unless your mate has one.

2 hours ago, Monyx said:

Thanks for the thoughts - while I don't intend to buy off spec sheets, I take a keen interest in knowing facts vs perceptions e.g. a post above said the 981 is more refined and heavier - in fact the 981 manual is lighter by 25kg & 35kg for S, combined with wider track etc would contribute to improved handling so despite tech and enhancements I'm impressed they are knocking that kind of weight off with a new model undoubtedly laden with more safety etc.

I have test driven a 981 S PDK, back to back with my then ride a 311kW Lexus ISF saloon - suffice to say after an all too brief drive up a single lane sweeping road I vowed to get a true sports car. (Lexus has grunt, but heavy and not one to throw around corners). Next month I am booked in for the Porsche Driving Experience: Precision Level 1 where I'm informed the list of vehicles to be driven include: Cayman, Cayman GTS, Boxster, Boxster GTS, 911 Carrera, 911 Carrera GTS Coupe, 911 Carrera GTS Cabriolet, Macan S, Cayenne, Panamera 4 (4WD just offroad demo I believe).

I am cross shopping 987.2 S vs 981 2.7L - different beasts yes, but that is the price range I'm looking at and the sharper, more modern look of the 981 + interior and handling improvements weight heavily against S performance of 987.2. That is the theory - as you say driving will tell the story - but a little hard unless your mate has one.

How did you get a 35kg  lighter weight for the 981 2.7 MT over the 987.2S PDK?

From Wikipedia:

Boxster Kerb Weight is :

987.2 S Boxster PDK

Curb weight 1380 kg (3042 lbs)

Boxster: 3,035 lb (1,377 kg) (2.7 manual)[2]

You are also forgetting to factor in the fact that the 987.2 is rarer beast over the 981. Having said that, I would lean towards the 981 because it has the manual transmission, an AT on a Sports car is just wrong IMO.

1 hour ago, Apogee said:

How did you get a 35kg  lighter weight for the 981 2.7 MT over the 987.2S PDK?

Source: PCA website, archived - wasn't comparing manual to PDK, rather like for like i.e.

981 Manual & PDK

Unladen weight (DIN) 1,310 kg 1,340 kg

S

Unladen weight (DIN) 1,320 kg 1,350 kg

987.2 Manual & PDK

Unladen weight (DIN) 1,335 kg 1,365 kg

S

Unladen weight (DIN) 1,355 kg 1,380 kg

10 hours ago, Apogee said:

I notice that you live in Tassie, I've been there and you have access to much better roads where the speed limit is 100 km/hr for twisty roads, you also have a much smaller chance of getting caught speeding esp in the many backroads that Tassie has (I'm really envious). The nearest (small) stretch of twisties I have access to has a limit of 80km/hr. I have to drive 700km to Bright in VIC before there are 100 km/hr longer lengths of twisty roads where I can really stretch my Spyder's legs. 

If I leave for work 20 minutes early, I can basically drive 4 current and past Targa Tasmania stages, usually without sighting the constabulary at all (although I've got to be careful now as I used up my "warning" a month ago - but first one in 5 /12 years of Porsche driving though 🙂 )

So yes, we are very fortunate to have such great driving roads in easy access - the first past Targa stage is about 5 minutes from my driveway....

And for OP, yes, absolutely kick as many tyres as you can during the decision process 🙂 

19 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

If I leave for work 20 minutes early, I can basically drive 4 current and past Targa Tasmania stages, usually without sighting the constabulary at all (although I've got to be careful now as I used up my "warning" a month ago - but first one in 5 /12 years of Porsche driving though 🙂 )

So yes, we are very fortunate to have such great driving roads in easy access - the first past Targa stage is about 5 minutes from my driveway....

Go on.. rub it in won't you? :D

One of my plans is to drive to Tassie with my Spyder on a trailer. Then do drives from a base in either Hobart or Launceston. I have to buy a car trailer first.

38 minutes ago, Monyx said:

Source: PCA website, archived - wasn't comparing manual to PDK, rather like for like i.e.

981 Manual & PDK

Unladen weight (DIN) 1,310 kg 1,340 kg

S

Unladen weight (DIN) 1,320 kg 1,350 kg

987.2 Manual & PDK

Unladen weight (DIN) 1,335 kg 1,365 kg

S

Unladen weight (DIN) 1,355 kg 1,380 kg

I don't think those figures are right. Every other website I've seen has the 981 weigh heavier than the 987. 

7 minutes ago, Apogee said:

Go on.. rub it in won't you? :D

One of my plans is to drive to Tassie with my Spyder on a trailer. Then do drives from a base in either Hobart or Launceston. I have to buy a car trailer first.

PCNSW group coming down in November I think it is.......

25 minutes ago, Apogee said:

I'm no longer a member as I find group drives a bit frustrating - I drive rather fast and don't like traffic. 

Thats why they hold supersprints! ;) 

But in all seriousness, I understand your frustration, which is why I rarely go to ANY big number drives, the PCNSW social drives, we usually just hang back, enjoy our coffee, leave later, and form our own group of say 3-4 cars where we can have our fun... and still arrive at the lunch on time. :D

OP - you can get hung up on specs all you want, but the whole ethos to Porsche is how it feels to you,.. just drive them both and decide! And BTW, I totally agree that there is a good reason to cross shop a 987.2 S to a 981.1 base car at similar $$... the base 981 might lack some HP and features, but you are not buying a luxury saloon are you now? 

I have been so impressed with our 986 that I started to think about moving up in vintages of Boxster, the PDK 987.2's I found were quite a bit pricey... the 981 2.7 PDK seemed like a good value proposition.