• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The billet mounts are from Tarret engineering. You can buy them from Tarret or Pelican. As I said one of the best things I've done to the car.

No extra vibes of sound etc. Still yet to do the trans mounts with new "sport" mounts.

Uncle

Why sport mounts on the trans as against garret.? do you think it could end up being too harsh.

Reason I ask was thinking of putting the"wevo" product on and it was suggested Club sport ones would be better all-round.

cheers

From the reading I've done basically yes. Solid mounts all round don't leave enough "give" for a car still driven on the street. Fine for a car that only sees smooth race tracks and you want everything tight as can be. On a car thats driven on our goat tracks we call roads its nice to give the chassis and gearbox some breathing room. The 915 gearbox is known for flexing quite a bit too. If you take the flex out of the mount and transfer it to the box I think you could be playing with fire long term. They whole reason they fail at ~350 to 400rwhp is mostly due to flexing the housing.

I don't know how hard you push your car but the chassis has got quite a bit of flex in it when you start to push hard so tying up the back of it a little more makes a lot of sense. I've got an RSR engine mount bar on the way in the next few weeks so once I have that on I'll let you know if it also helps stiffen the motor chassis interface.

While I am here crapping on about chassis flex I did notice quite a bit of difference in how the car turned in once I welded in the 6 point cage. It is now noticeably shaper than before and feels like its loading up the rear out of corners much more than before.

Well for a sharp road car I dont think you could go past two billet mounts an two sport mounts. I'll try and make the time this weekend to get the trans mounts done so I can provide more feed back on the combo.

No worries I'll keep you updated. I do expect to see a change as the stock bar seems to have quit a bit of flex in it.

Edit: I just noticed your car is a 87 so a G50 boxed car if I am not mistaken. While this changes the amount of forces you need to worry about sending to the box IMHO I would still be sticking to isolating the box from the chassis loading.

What does a C3.2 gearbox mount look like?

Dunno if it's the same with C3.2, but with the 964 and 993s, they say that solid mount for the tranny is a big no-go for a road car, as you get heaps and heaps of vibes and noise transmitted to the cabin. So this would include plastic/delrin or billet mounts. A compromise that seems to tighten things up without causing too much harshness are the factory RS mount, and I think there are a few aftermarket options which are part billet and part rubber.

All the various mount types can be had from Porsche dealers or Pelican Parts(much cheaper and still OEM parts)

Alot of people have had a good compromise with Cabriolet mounts for engine and trans as they are firmer than std and not as rigid as sport or aftermarket mounts.

Personally I use WEVO SS Mounts on both engine and Trans(915) and the trade off is some vibration however the gear shift precision and immediacy of everything is turned up to a much higher level.

Not for everyone though.....

Here are some pictures.

915 gearbox mount c3.2 pre-87(non G50)

DSC081231288908649.jpg

G50 mount post 87 WEVO

638-G50SSEngineMounts_3.jpg

Std

$(KGrHqZ,!i!E-y8FpQF+BQBCCFqoPQ~~60_35.JPG

Ah the 964/993 trans mounts are a bit different:

<a href=http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/MX5_Dorifto/Porsche/911590.jpg

The rubber mount is on the nose of the gearbox, and then it bolts to a cast alloy bridge (like the wevo one above) which is bolted solidly to the chassis. Mine was upgraded to the RS mount, which looks the same but is stiffer rubber. Didn't notice any increase in NVH, but apparently if you go delrin bushes it's unbearable :D

So it looks like I have to replace the old bracket/mount for the

G50 mount post 87 WEVO.? Bolt in or welded?

Bolt in, just buy it and replace. Its a very well made and engineered item. Unlike the 915 WEVO/Standard mounts which you buy, remove the mount bar and replace the mounts themselves. Wevo sells you a whole bar and mount replacement. The G50's rubber mounts are pressed in whereas the 915's can simply be removed via the bolts you can see on them.........

Hayden, WEVO's owner is an Australian. So support an aussie abroad!!

There is a supplier in Sydney , I can give you their contact details.....if you like?

Just on the buying from Wevo thing. I contacted them (in the US) 3 times about buying a shifter but after not getting a single email back gave up and got one from Pelican. I must say the Wevo shifter is a nice bit of kit though.

OK I've got a 18mm sway bar on the way from Perfomance9 so that should sort out the rear end issue. While I was on my little shopping trip I also ordered some 36mm chokes for the carbs and some jets with some helpfull advice from Bab's.

I don't know how much shed time I'll get this weekend but I'll try and get at least one job done.

Hi Guys, gearbox.

WEVO distributor in Australia is :

BWA Auto

45 Prince William Dr,

Seven Hills, NSW 2147

www.bwaauto.com.au

Ph) 1300 BWAAUTO

Ph) +612-9838-7373

Fax) +612-9838-7606

Ask for Craig Whyms. They normally have most gear in stock and they are very reasonable price wise.

WEVO in the states or WEVO's euro distributor(Twin Spark Racing) will not post to Australia.

I strongly recommend the WEVO products, in particular the shifters and the precision shift joint for the 915 gearboxes.

Fitted the RSR engine bar this morning. Throttle response in corners feels a little better to me but it could just be a head thing. Going to try and get the trans mounts changed this afternoon after Xmas shopping if I can. I did start the job but ran out of time. They do look like they have seen better days though. When I jacked the box up to take the weight there was quite a bit of movement in them.
The RSR bar feels ALOT stiffer than the stock bar. I could flex it (the stock bar) quite easily with my hands. Not so much the new bar.
734D8440-EED9-4135-BD4C-17E019430EC8-649

Good to see your happy with the set-up Martin and thanks for the feed back.

Don't Know where you get the time, came across the other forum yourself, Babs and "Boxer"? are on.

4k+ posts not bad and Boxer! what a great job with the photos and step by step instructions,

should get him to put some up here what with your upgrades and his you will keep a lot of members

interested for a while.

cheers

Steve.

Yeah no worries. Good to give others feedback to so people don't make the same mistake twice should you do something and it not work so well. As far as time goes I just chip away at jobs. Things like getting it set up to do while the rest of the house is asleep. Stop do dad stuff till lunch. Get an hour do a bit then stop do dad stuff. Finish and clean up. I have a great short hill climb "private road" not far from my place so thats how I test changes.

Boxer is not Steamwolf but I might give him and another bloke on there the heads up about this place. I am guessing your talking about Performance Forums?

Archived