Ok so rather than fill up the what did you do today thread I thought I would start a thread on my car seeing as my builds tend to get out of hand. Or as my wife has said before "why must you always build monsters?" :lol:

Later on I'll get some photo's together and write some back story to the thread. I've got some changes planned for the car in the coming weeks so I'll keep updated.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so back story.

I'd been looking for a car on and off for quite awhile between other cars and builds. After selling my Jeep I thought it was time to stop mucking around and buy something. I'd looked at a couple of cars but nothing really jumped out at me to buy. I had noticed a car for sale in Tassie at a not bad price but still a little high in my books from what the seller had to say. I was gearing up to buy a car in QLD that was more than I wanted to spend but a nice car and worth the coin. Anyway I had some spare time at work one day and thought I might just call that other bloke before going a head with the QLD car.

As it turns out the Tasmanian car had some very nice stuff on it that was not mentioned in the Ad and the guys selling it needed the cash fast. As it happens my Brother In Law aka BIL had moved to Tassie a year or so before. So I jumped on the phone 30 seconds after calling the seller and ask him to go and look at it. He happened to have the day off and was happy to go for a look at it.

Fast forward 3 hours and my BIL calls me to say he is looking at the car and it seems to be quite a good thing other than the Paint on the roof and bonnet was rubbish from a cheap spray job at some point and it was hard to shift. I put the latter down to 915ness. The seller spilled the beans about needing money in a rush etc. I ask him to make and offer then call me back.

2 mins later I get a call to say done deal. My BIL tells me he is going to go to the bank with old mate so he has the cash today and he will drive the car home for me.

So at this point I'd bought a car 3000klms away site unseen before lunch lol. I figured what's the worst that could happen. I'd either get steep 911 mechanical learning curve or I was apples.

After getting the car home later that day. I asked him to have a good look over it,being an ex-mechanic I knew I could count on him finding anything that stuck out as needing doing before I flew down and drove it back. The only thing he picked up on was a slight fuel leak and some minor oil drips from the studs on the left hand lower rocker cover. Nothing that would be hard to fix or so I thought.

After an eternal wait of a very long week my wife,our little bloke and myself got a flight down to a very cold mid winter Tasmania for a weeks holidays or me driving Targa Tas stages and her catching up with the BIL and SIL.

Couple of Tas pics from getting to know the car.

The day I got to Tassie. Freezing cold with snow and ice everywhere. Seeing as I'd not driven a left hand drive car outside the U.S in a long time I thought it best to hold back sit in the shed with a couple of beers and check everything over and just look at the car with a big cheesy grin for a few hours.

ec0472f5.jpg

1ad3d062.jpg

Well the next day it was still snowing but it was not going to hold me back after a 34 year wait. So I was going for a drive no matter what.

I'll be honest I didn't take very many photos as I was too busy driving the car.

This was on the Police point stage. Temp was -2 and no heater. Did I care I could not feel my feet? Nope!

bce8eed1.jpg

51433f01.jpg

Anyway I spent the next 5 days scooting around enjoying the car in the freezing cold with numb feet and a stupid grin. I'd already had a few long chats with Q who had given me a few tips on getting the best out of the car and what tyre pressures I should start working with etc so I'd hit the ground running to so speak.

After ~1000klms I'd had no problems other than the ones I already knew about so I was confident I could drive it back without issue. The only downside was the shift from 5th to 4th was really crap and it was hard to get into first. I'd put this down to worn bushes etc. Two days before I was due to drive home I stopped at a local Repco and asked if they could get me a spare alternator belt. I almost fell over when they said they would get it overnight but it was going to be expensive... $21.95 including overnight shipping and was that ok?

Umm yep get me one lol. I also bought a puncher repair kit,fire extinguisher,6ltrs of oil and some very basic tools. The BIL gave me a small air compressor he had no use for as he had up graded.

Night before I packed up and got an early night exited but still nervous about the drive home. The wife a little bloke had planed on staying a few extra days then flying home so Steamwolf said he was keen on flying down to Melbourne and doing the Melb to home stretch with me.

Anyway I drove the leg to the spirt of Tasmania one a nice sunny day with not a single blip. Once on the boat I had quite a good dinner a couple of beers and hit the hay.

d30ef538.jpg

The next morning at 0530 I was at the car ready to rock. Now they say on the boat in big signs everywhere do not start your car until told so. This is all well and good for modern EFI cars but an old cold 911 angry with two banks of Webers is not a modern car. I looked for one of the deck hands to ask if I can start it up just a little early and warm it up so I don't hold others up. I get a flat "Nah mate" turns his back and walks off. I lol and tell him as he walks off "Ok but be it on your head"

Time to go. Now it starts first kick every single time. Moving it is another matter. Cough bang slutter stall. Restart. Cough bang move stall repeat. Old mate walks back and gives me the WTF look. I start the car wind down the window and give him the your a retard look. lol.

The leg home.

I drove to the airport to pick Jim up. Its a cold over cast but nice day and the airport is not all that busy so I park out the front of the Park Royal and tell him to look for the Subtle Blue 911. He found it very quickly.

We have a few mates from another forum in the ACT so had planned to drive to their place stay the night have some dinner a few beers and then the final leg home. All went according to plan other than the shift getting worse and the fact that every time SW drove the car and hit a ripple stip the fuel cap would pop up. This has still never happened to me lol.

A good night was had and we rolled home the next day. I was not until I got within 100klm from home that I really relaxed with the car as if it broke it would be a cheap tow lol.

As we hit Newcastle the shift was really getting hard but I got it home and parked it up. Total klms was just under 3000klm since the day I got it. That night I sat in the shed with a single malt and just took in the car. I'd fix the shift later.

IMG_9893.jpg

Next on the list was a service. I'd told my wife I was planning to do it before I raced the car at the Snowy Mountain 1000 and that day I came home from work to find this. Awesome wife.
C47E911B-2B53-4F55-A410-DB6735BAB0F3-209

I also got fed up with the paint on the bonnet and short term fixed it.
7687A68E-D7A1-4014-AB21-90F7A430D09A-209

As a safety measure I also got around to mounting the "Matter" cage. Main hoop is welded in with an extra spar added to the lateral section between posts.
IMG_0822.jpg

After service run in was a ~700klm weekend. lol
IMG_0861.jpg

Good end to the wekend!
IMG_0867-1.jpg

So mods..
I didn't want a "purists" car to start with. I'd always planned to build a hotrod and it would be a shame to mod a good stock car.
Mechanically the car has now is a 3 year old 3ltr SC motor with pair of 40mm IDA 3C Webers and 32mm chokes, M&W Pro10R ignition,Full B&B exhaust,brass button clutch, Wevo "tall" shifter and all new bushes in the rod and the coupling,Tarret engineering billet engine mounts at the back and new factory sport mounts for the trans.
Body is a sunroof delete steel wide body with good from a far but far from good paint. I am still yet to work out what I am going to do long term but for now its more about getting the driving better and looks latter. RUF front and rear bar, center pannel and motorsport mirrors.
So I started to wrap the top of the car short term so its passable and I can annoy "Purists" with my devil may care attitude lol.
When people ask me about if its a real RS I say it's more a condition statement of the paint LOL.
IMG_0171.jpg

Where to from here?
Well I've got some short term jobs to do. Weld on the new Wevo rear sway bar mounts as I managed to snap the weak stock mount. Next week some new Sparco Chrono sport seats should be here along with a new drivers side 6 point harness.
I've got a RSR engine mount bar coming from a mate in QLD some time in December so I'll fit that over xmas.
I did have the what to do with the wheels problem. But I think I have that fixed now. The HRE centre lock wheels are crazy light and very very rare but I've always thought a wide body needs dish. So I think I've got that sorted now.
BD589259-80AE-4926-B378-4BED48CB135E-204

2F8F0B6B-5C19-4606-8E89-C9D4991230C2-204

1CB9970A-7951-4D00-95F8-9F5F94FE6FD3-204

Cheers J.D

I'll keep adding as I go. The idea is still kicking around in my head of EFI and a twin scroll GT35 on it for some .8 of a bar fun but the thought of how weak the 915 box is has me more than a bit hesitant.

Glad you guys enjoyed the read.

Drove the car for the first time today after putting in the Tarret Engineering billet RSR engine mounts in. WOW. So much better. I try and only do one mod at a time so I can gauge the improvement if any. Well after rebuilding the shifter coupling I have only driven the car once but it was not quite in the right spot. So the shift was not 100%.

Well I did the mount swap made a small tweak to the coupling and left the car as I was dong other stuff on it.

Today I took it for a drive and everything feels better. Better clutch feel. Better throttle feel. Better shift. The car had Nolathan mounts in it but I don't think they are much chop. Later in the week I'll try and get around to fitting the new Porsche factory "sport" transmission mounts. I've felt no more vib's though the car or any increased noise with the solid mounts.

Highly recommended in my books.

Slightly annoying day today. Sparco seats came and Sparco Aust very helpfully sent me two different types of the wrong rails and exactly half the amount of bolts I need to bolt the rails to the seats. I've let them know so I'll see what they come back with on Tuesday.

Next was the quick release hub. Doish13 very kindly sent me up a Boss kit for a MOMO wheel I have in the shed. This fitted no problems at all but the QR hub is a pile of crap in short and unfit for use. It wouldn't pass scrutineering at a static car show. The splines have a heap of play in them and allow the wheel to flex on the hub.

All in all 3 hours wasted in the shed trying to get things to work with no real progress. Very frustrating paying not inconsiderable money for things that don't work.

Gotta love incompetence! Whether it's bad design or someone in the warehouse sending out the wrong box.

I've been watching Uncle and waiting to see the Sparcos in the car. Will have to wait a little longer.

I'll check for you Theo but I would say so. As you would put them in the fixed back but still a street/track seat not just a track seat.

As it happens I just got off the phone from my contact expressing my displeasure about the rails. He was very appolagetic etc and has made me a very very good offer on some higher level seats that I might take him up on.

Archived