crank, no spark

brian in buddina

Just completed a clutch job, but apparently I'm not finished yet. 

Cranking over, but no start. I have a fully charged battery & indicated tach bounce.

I pulled a spark plug and no spark. Pulled a lead off the coil & no spark. 

On Clarks Garage they mentioned that if you have tach bounce its not likely to be the speed & reference sensors. I'm not so sure.

Everything was working before the clutch let go. 

The DME has been re soldered before the clutch work & worked then.

With all the wiring in the way of accessing things I am wondering if I pulled a plug or damaged a wire.

What tests should I be doing to isolate my problem?

I am going to replace my one of my sensors item 10, not sure which one it is, due to the end connection at the junction has deteriorated.

The bracket shown below, item17, holds both speed & reference sensors. My bracket does not look the same, as it only holds 1 sensor. 

So if I order 2 sensors leads, where does my second sensor wire go to? It disappears into the bowels of the engine...

image.jpeg

On 14/10/2019 at 13:51, Rob said:

Brian

Yes, your engine has a  cam position sensor up behind the camshaft pulley. The connection to that is very prone to disintegration as it's quite close to the exhaust. It's also called the Hall Sensor...

image.thumb.png.842185504367972e21d99b83a34fc44e.png

I can attest to this. As Rob may recall mine disintegrated during some work. I’ve moved my plug/wiring as far forward away from the exhaust manifold as possible. Perhaps some heat sleeving would be beneficial.