Motor drop list

Merv

Are you talking pre 964? If 3.2 or 3.3 you could pretty much just add “Undo a few extra wires and some A.C stuff if it’s still on the car” and be on the money. Whilst I haven’t dropped a 911 motor in a couple of years its what, 36 nuts/bolts/fittings to be undone and a couple of wires? Total work time after set up is about 35 minutes if you mess about and 15 if you work efficiently and use a battery powered rattle gun.

Its still very very basic stuff. Slave is 2 bolts and zip tie out of the way. A/C is leave everything connected if it still works just take the compressor off the motor and move the lines.

Whilst I understand your point about it being nice to have a list, no matter the complexity of the vehicle the order of work should always remain the same. This is what I was taught as a child removing 202’s from HQ Taxi’s in about 4th class on a semi weekly basis.

• Electrical always first. Start at the battery and work in a clockwise direction back to the battery.
  • Liquid next. As you did the electrical first you don’t have to worry about sparks and fuel.
  • Charged systems. Leave them charged if you can and move things out of the way.
  • Remove things that will prevent the driveline from coming out. Rad support panels, lower valances or Holly Valance’s.
  • Now do driveline.
  • Check everything again.
  • Disconnect oil pressure switch wire you missed now you have stretched it.

Also honestly whilst this will upset a few people in a Porsche club if you said it out loud over canape’s that a 3.2 with a G50 is about the same level of mechanical complexity as a injected 6 cylinder VK Commodore is (over a 202 H.Q). I guess what I’m pointing at here are the variations and additions are very minor. I bet you can do it the first time in 40 minutes after you look at it for 15 minutes with your old list.

My only words of warning would be the plugs in the engine loom will be old and hard. Fuel lines will be very brittle and the fittings/threads are Porsche proprietary. Have a really really good look at the ones at the back of the motor that have 11ty heat cycles. You only get a good look at them with the engine out so now is your chance.

Good man! Very helpful indeed. For me, and others.  I have a two post hoist and an engine trolley so that makes things easier. Good points about the wiring harness connecting plugs and valences. 

Thanks again 

It also helps to take a snap shot of how things are assembled before you pull them apart. Mobile phones are perfect for taking photos in tight spaces.  6 months down the track you’ll want a reference for which wire goes where and trying to work out where the extra bolt goes after you thought you were finished. 

6 hours ago, Merv said:

Good man! Very helpful indeed. For me, and others.  I have a two post hoist and an engine trolley so that makes things easier. Good points about the wiring harness connecting plugs and valences. 

Thanks again 

That’s ok Merv. The best thing you can do with valuable knowledge is give it away for free.