Fixings/fittings to mount rear number plate on 964

Pilko

My current rear number plate is mounted to the bumper using two screws in the centre of the plate. The screws go through the letters of the plate, and it looks like the plate has been drilled to allow this, and then the screws painted to kind of match.

I have some nice new plates from vicroads that don't have holes in the centre, and I don't really want to drill the plates, or drill holes in the bumper cover. Anyone else come up against this? Is there a standard fix? Sticky pads or something?

Pilko,

Assuming your new plate is larger than the old plate and covers all the pre-existing holes, you can buy number plate covers from Autobarn and the like that have "adaptors" that may do the trick.  But you're going to be lucky to get something that adapts the new number plate to the existing bumper bar holes.

Just console yourself that it could be worse, your new number plate could be smaller than the perimeter of the old mounting holes like us poor sods suffer in NSW when changing to historic plates.....

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

@Andy73 checking your forum signature, the front plate on your car looks great, how did you mount that? Also, your instagram link doesn't work for me.

Hmm, updated the Insta link.

I got Euro plate surrounds from Vicroads. You just call Vicroads and say you want Euro plate frames. Not sure they do the slimline version though. They're brilliant as they have a million holes on the back. Even if they don't have one that lines up, you just drill an extra one. Super easy to install, no screws through your number plate but also no perspex over the plate. This was my preferred look.

28 minutes ago, Andy73 said:

I got Euro plate surrounds from Vicroads. You just call Vicroads and say you want Euro plate frames. Not sure they do the slimline version though. They're brilliant as they have a million holes on the back. Even if they don't have one that lines up, you just drill an extra one. Super easy to install, no screws through your number plate but also no perspex over the plate. This was my preferred look.

Well, they're exactly what I need. It would have been great if they'd offered those on vplates when I was buying the new plates! Thanks for the info.