WTB 911 Aftermarket Steering Wheel

rminc

Hi all, 

As topic states, I'm after an aftermarket steering wheel. Something like a Momo prototipo, but also open to other options. Preferably vintage. 

If you have anything of interest, please send me a message. 

Thanks

If this is for an air cooled 911 I would recommend going with something bigger than the 350mm Prototipo. It is a beautiful wheel, but it blocks the gauges and I found when I was really getting into it on a bumpy twisty road, it felt like it was too small and I didn't have the leverage and control I would like. I swapped to a 380mm and it is soo much better. I can see the gauges and that bit of extra leverage is really noticeable at pace. The only issue I am finding with the 380 is that it sits a bit lower so it is that little bit harder to get in and out of the seat. 

I have just ordered a 13mm offset for the hub, so that the wheel sits a bit higher. I know with that you can see the gauges with a 350mm wheel, and I am looking forward to seeing if the offset throw gives that little bit more leverage so that I can go back to the Prototipo again.

20 minutes ago, MFX said:

If this is for an air cooled 911 I would recommend going with something bigger than the 350mm Prototipo. It is a beautiful wheel, but it blocks the gauges and I found when I was really getting into it on a bumpy twisty road, it felt like it was too small and I didn't have the leverage and control I would like. I swapped to a 380mm and it is soo much better. I can see the gauges and that bit of extra leverage is really noticeable at pace. The only issue I am finding with the 380 is that it sits a bit lower so it is that little bit harder to get in and out of the seat. 

I have just ordered a 13mm offset for the hub, so that the wheel sits a bit higher. I know with that you can see the gauges with a 350mm wheel, and I am looking forward to seeing if the offset throw gives that little bit more leverage so that I can go back to the Prototipo again.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely keep that in mind. What offset hub are you using? 

I'm thinking of a 370-380mm and I noticed another member mentioned Quick releases, which solves the problem of getting in and out. 

I think rothsport and rennline make decent units. 

5 hours ago, rminc said:

Thanks for the reply. Definitely keep that in mind. What offset hub are you using? 

I can't remember the brand, but it is just an adapter. Bolts on the the MOMO boss and has offset holes for the wheel 13mm higher than standard.

37 minutes ago, rminc said:

Thanks @MFX

Decided to go for a Prototipo 370 or 380mm. Can't find any at the moment. Might just have to be patient. 

I don't believe they make them any more. I have heard they may have made them (20+ years ago) but the only way to get one is second hand and they are rare as rocking horse s#!t.