Conversion 911 2020 Model from left hand to right hand side drive

Hi there,

I own a 911, 2020 model which I drive in Bahrain. I am going back home to Melbourne next year and would like to take it with me and have it converted to right hand side drive.

Can any-one comment on the practicality of doing so?

Happy driving and thanking you for your comments.

Without commenting on what I suspect would be a huge conversion cost, you'd end up with a massively depreciated car that you'll struggle to move - Australian buyers hate imports (rightly or wrongly), and hate 'converted cars' even more.  Your financial hit would be massive. 

You'd be much better off unloading your car locally or on the Continent and picking up something here.

As your LHD 911 is a very recent model, I think a conversion to RHD would have such unimaginable problems to make it quite unpractical. BUT maybe you could send it to a low-wage country for conversion ???

Maybe someplace like Philippines (or China). But even then we dont know how the Virus will end up affecting our fuure relationship with 3rd world countries, let alone the standard of workmanship there.

4 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

As your LHD 911 is a very recent model, I think a conversion to RHD would have such unimaginable problems to make it quite unpractical. BUT maybe you could send it to a low-wage country for conversion ???

Maybe someplace like Philippines (or China). But even then we dont know how the Virus will end up affecting our fuure relationship with 3rd world countries, let alone the standard of workmanship there.

A lot of car restorations are being done in Poland as costs are much cheaper and there is a network of providers that appear to do quality work on classic cars.  So it might not be crazy to investigate the cheaper option, particularly as you allude to Covid may have affected their throughput.

Yeah not a good idea.  If you can get it out if Bahrain cheap then sell it to somewhere that uses LHD.  Then use the money to buy one in Melbourne.  Or go live in Darwin and enjoy it.  

With the complexity of modern cars it is hugely expensive to convert.  People do it for cars not available in RHD but the 911 is.

9 hours ago, Coastr said:

Or go live in Darwin and enjoy it.  

Yep best idea so far. If your 911 qualifies as a personal import and you wont get much money if you sell it there - then bring it in to a NT ( or WA?) address then you can sort out what to do (LHD to RHD or not)  at a future time.