7 minutes ago, brian in buddina said:

A 1992 LHD 968 has been imported to Australia as a “RACE CAR”.

How hard is it to get it registered for road use? Where do you start?

9A7977AA-C1C6-4C24-BD1C-902CB0F4693C.thumb.jpeg.995a150e4ea5fddf53eae497c3d3d90d.jpeg

AD1D91C9-621D-4B8C-A9EA-6954B7FD39FA.thumb.jpeg.9525fc9351095ab08f7436aea0fb951c.jpeg

My understanding is that if it is imported under the Race / rally car provisions, it can only be registered under special interest race car rules, which probably limit you to use to and from MA sanctioned race meetings, in conjuction with promotion of MA sanctioned event and to / from your mechanic.   It also needs to have an MA logbook. This was the case with a 2000 GT3 that I purchased in Oz, however the current owner has somehow managed to get it onto club rego in Vic, so you might be lucky where you live

• 2 months later...

Pretty much 'no' to each of the above. The critical issue here is the rule set under which the car was imported. If it was imported under race / Rallye category, the import approval issued as such etc etc then it can't simply be registered under another category. Let's take a Vic club permit for example....cars must be 25 years of age or older to go on this plate. (twoheadtas...your mate with the 2000 GT3....something awfully curious there, as VicRoads won't accept a vehicle less than 25 years of age when issuing these plates). To put a car on club plates, you must first get a rwc. But to get a rwc, you must also have a compliance plate. Now....a race Rallye import never gets a compliance plate....it doesn't need one....so there is nothing against which the rwc agent can reference when writing up the rwc. Long story short, race Rallye imports cannot and can never be put on registration, even club plates, short of some sort of fraud occurring. A car like the one above is only suited for racing applications. This does not mean you can't import and register a LHD car, Inc 968....but you'd need to import it under the correct category.

1 hour ago, Foibles said:

(twoheadtas...your mate with the 2000 GT3....something awfully curious there, as VicRoads won't accept a vehicle less than 25 years of age when issuing these plates). To put a car on club plates, you must first get a rwc. But to get a rwc, you must also have a compliance plate. Now....a race Rallye import never gets a compliance plate....it doesn't need one....so there is nothing against which the rwc agent can reference when writing up the rwc. Long story short, race Rallye imports cannot and can never be put on registration, even club plates, short of some sort of fraud occurring. A car like the one above is only suited for racing applications. This does not mean you can't import and register a LHD car, Inc 968....but you'd need to import it under the correct category.

No idea how he has done it.  Certainly I was on track to get SI rego in Tassie under the Rally provisions as that is how the car was imported.  I basically fulfilled all of the requirements, but after I had a drive of it with a trade plate I decided it was far too uncomfortable to drive on the road, particularly country roads where I prefer to drive, and the no. of occasions when I could legally drive it under our SI Rally rules were too few and far between to warrant proceeding.  I sold the car and bought a RHD road car instead 🙂 

As @Foibles quotes - Once IA has been given to a VIN - it cannot be changed.

I'm not even sure it can be re-exported and re-imported under a different category - as my understanding is that the VIN is now recorded as a rally (or parts) car..... and it would come up flagged in the new Import Approval process.

1 minute ago, on_booost said:

As @Foibles quotes - Once IA has been given to a VIN - it cannot be changed.

I'm not even sure it can be re-exported and re-imported under a different category - as my understanding is that the VIN is now recorded as a rally (or parts) car..... and it would come up flagged in the new Import Approval process.

correct. previously, that was always an alternative - re-apply for import under a different rule set (in this case being the 'go to' rule of 25+ years old...previously 'pre 1989'. But now I'd be confident that the VIN is recorded and no further application would be allowed. So.....car can still be used for track (race/rallye) but it is highly improbable to say the least it could ever be registered, even on club plates. 'SI' remains a possibility as oils and oils and states ain't states - they each have varying degrees of rigour. Tassie used to be 'beyond absurd' - I could literally register a car with plates in hand before it had even started sailing to Aus! But those days are gone. And I suspect SI'ing would be difficult. Vic club plates impossible. Same for most other states.

I can't see why you wouldn't just spend a few more dollars to get a C16 rechtslenker base model via the UK.... no rego problems, no left hooker problems (Maccas drive through), no drive shaft problems, etc etc