Paint Codes

Sov

I have a couple of stone chips I'd like to address on my 996TT. Paint code is L92U (Arctic Silver) on the sticker. The supplier I've found only has 92T listed. I've seen the following paint codes listed online;

92T arktis-silber-metallic        
92U arktis-silber-metallic        
L92T arktis-silber-metallic        
L92U arktis-silber-metallic        
X1 arktis-silber-metallic

Is there a difference between these colours?

That is a strange one , I could see how that would cause confusion ....I have always know Arctic Silver as L92U .

Perhaps the others are VW, Audi or Skoda codes , sorry but this still does not answer your question , hopefully a member with a Arctic silver car will clear this up ...

I'll take a guess that the code differences represent the differences in paint supplier/manufacturer (Glasurit, BASF, DeBeers et al) and possibly delivery systems - water based/solvent based and whether it is a single stage or two-stage clear over base ect...  Also the metalics have varied in flake size/density/ and composition over the years - it's all part of what makes perfect paint matching so damn hard!

13 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

It's certainly not easy! As I'm only doing very small touch ups it may not make a difference. Thoughts?

Steer clear of cheap "paint pens" and off the shelf paint sticks.  Porsche may sell a factory touch up tin for your car?  The 996 is a clear over base, and I think it was a solvent delivery.  Paint correction can be a bit of an art - sometimes cutting in the right spot will work, sometimes deep stone chips need filling with colour and then clear, sometimes just clear. 

I've done a bit of it over the years and my usual practice is to buy base coat professionally colour matched off a sample - usually the filler flap.  A paint shop armed with the factory code AND a spectrometer can usually get it better than the eye can see (particularly modern paint finishes).  I keep 2k clear and thinners at home (it comes in handy for lots of things - such as fishing rod building etc...).  I use a disposable diabetic syringe and needle to inject and fill thinned base colour into the pock or scratch (leaving it low, and then inject clear coat so it just over-tops the pock or scratch.  Let it react and harden and then 3k wet and dry it flat before polishing.  If you're talking something like a modern 996 plastic bumper, I'm more inclined to pull it off and refinish the whole thing (as they are designed for).

Pro paint correctors do all the above and often have stock of the common exotic car colours such as Porsche Arctic Silver, Ferrari Red, and so forth.  it may be more time/money effective for you to engage a pro - but if you're a bit weird like me, you may get enjoyment out of doing it yourself.  And be aware that usually the minimum colour matched quantity of base coat is 500ml - that can make some metallic paints with exotic pigments and flake VERY expensive...

I have used Dr Colour Chip touch up. There  is a distributor in Australia. Give them your paint code and they send a kit. You can still see the chip up close but match is good. I use it for the Aerokit front lip, it’s fairly cheap and easy to use. 

3 hours ago, sjm said:

I have used Dr Colour Chip touch up. There  is a distributor in Australia. Give them your paint code and they send a kit. You can still see the chip up close but match is good. I use it for the Aerokit front lip, it’s fairly cheap and easy to use. 

I was looking at Chipfixx which, from the looks of it, is the same thing. I'll order from Dr Colour Chip.

UPDATE - Dr Colour Chip also do not list L92U. They list 92T-X1 and 92U-X1. Why is this so hard haha.

7 hours ago, the_sovereign_man said:

I was looking at Chipfixx which, from the looks of it, is the same thing. I'll order from Dr Colour Chip.

UPDATE - Dr Colour Chip also do not list L92U. They list 92T-X1 and 92U-X1. Why is this so hard haha.

If your car is Arctic Silver it looks like 92U-X1. I used it on a previous 996.2 and was a great match.

Just checked mine in the shed and they have L92U for Arctic Silver and 6B4 for Seal Grey. They must have changed codes recently.

Shouldn't be a problem I'd imagine. Good luck.

3 hours ago, sjm said:

If your car is Arctic Silver it looks like 92U-X1. I used it on a previous 996.2 and was a great match.

Just checked mine in the shed and they have L92U for Arctic Silver and 6B4 for Seal Grey. They must have changed codes recently.

Shouldn't be a problem I'd imagine. Good luck.

I got an Arctic Silver from Dr Colourchip a couple of weeks ago.  pretty sure I ordered L92U, haven't tried it yet though.....

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, Eden said:

Hi all,

Any updates on the Dr Colourchip paint? I got a few stone chips on this weekend's SMT and would like to touch them up.

Cheers,

Eden.

Yep, have used it now on my GT3 over the last month or so.  Not a perfect result, but chips certainly a lot less noticeable.  The processworks as per Youtube videos etc.  Best result I have had is on the smaller, shallower chips rather than those that have gone really deeply.   Some of my larger chips I've done 2 or 3 times, I think they may need doing a few more times.  The thing I like is that the Sealact removes the overflow paint from around the chip very easily, whereas I'd be a lot more hesitant about using anacrylic paint and having to use paint thinners etc.  The L92U supplied looks to be an almost perfect colour match to Arctic Silver.  I also have one to use on my Metallic Grey Touareg, haven't had a chance to use yet