Starting issue

rangiegaz

My 930 has starting issues. When it's hot and I turn the key I get nothing , no dimming of lights or radio and no engaging of starter. Checked battery and terminals and tried to jump start with leads and battery pack, nothing. Only way to get going is roll start and starts easily. Leave in the shed to cool down and starts fine. Happened twice now , but have started it heaps in between. Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

Rangiegaz

How is your DME?  A likely cause.  If you have a spare, or can borrow a spare, swap it out.  I had a similar problem and bought one of the new solid state DMEs, with a fuel pump prime function.  Not expensive.  The issue did not return.  If not that, is your immobiliser working correctly?

11 hours ago, rangiegaz said:

Merv, you wouldn't think the immobiliser would come into play only when it's hot though . I'm leaning towards tired starter motor, if not connections to starter due to voltage drop when hot.🤔

Rangiegaz

Philbee, where did you pick up the updated starter ?

Possible that the immobiliser connections and functions are compromised by temperature.  As others have said - check grounding at all points and even add some more! Check voltage when cold and hot cranking at the starter motor first. If the voltage is within spec then the starter/solenoid is suspect.  You might also ask your question on this excellent UK IB Forum https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/forum/6-32-carrera/ 

4 hours ago, Merv said:

I had the issue early on and I had Weltmeister do it, ie they got mine reconditioned with a new core (?) ... new parts inside. It was cheaper than buying a whole starter. Not sure who they used...sorry. 

Check the voltage at the starter (after checking/cleaning the ground/s) I reckon.  Reconditioned starters,  or new, are available at cost, but checking the basics first seems sensible. Just needs a volt meter and jacking up the rear wheel.  I usually fit a hot start relay to most of the early AC cars I have had.

On 12/12/2021 at 18:52, rangiegaz said:

My 930 has starting issues. When it's hot and I turn the key I get nothing , no dimming of lights or radio and no engaging of starter. Checked battery and terminals and tried to jump start with leads and battery pack, nothing. Only way to get going is roll start and starts easily. Leave in the shed to cool down and starts fine. Happened twice now , but have started it heaps in between. Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

Rangiegaz

How did you go with this... any progress?