I went to buy a 1975 Porsche, but now I have a Benz instead...

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/porsche-911-1975-14243700

I actually spent my childhood riding around in a white 280 SE just like this one, only it had a red interior not a tan one.  One of these is definitely in my dream garage, but with a few 'tasteful' mods like a 6.9 motor and a much lowered stance.

RussR - did they even make a dohc in this model?

I distinctly remember our benz with an alloy single cam.

It actually used to blow head gaskets all the time.  Maybe that was because the old man used to tow a caravan with it, but he ended up hating it.  Maybe the engine was just had it.

I knew a guy who bought one of these in terrible condition at an auction, and drove it around for a while.  He was going around telling  everyone it had a 4.5 litre six in it, until I explained to him that 280 was german for 2.8, not 280 cubic inches.

I do love them though - they're really coming into their own as a classic.

theres no reason for them to do head gaskets all the time, apart from if someone doesn't rebuild/check the radiator/thermostat/pump when they do the head gasket. All single cam 280's in a W108 i'm pretty sure.

I've always loved the look of the SL's but they aren't cheap and probably problems.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/mercedes-280sl-1969-13588759?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=2&eapi=2&__N=1216%201246%201252%201247%201282%201090%204294964270&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year%3a1960%2c1970&sort=default

I'll stick with my Porsche that still goes fast, corners well, brakes hard and doesn't break down.

Edit: It is 16 years newer I suppose so need to cut the SL some slack.

Pagoda roof SLs are really the thing at the moment.  Strong rise in values I believe.  I love the silver/red combination.  I wonder if you can find a 911 in that color combo?

Back in those days a Benz really did mean a very solid piece of kit.  

Glenn : wow that takes me back, the interior.  I used to sleep as a kid on the rear parcel shelf.  What could you do, 4 kids and only 3 seats.

Archived