Watch the little things

My daughter told me her 63 Kackler does not drive "right". Had a day to spend , so we started looking for things that might have gone wrong. Timing, electricals, carbie , all seemed well. I drove the beetle . having nothing to compare to , it was fine to me. In the end we looked at the accelerator pedal assembly and found a lot of slack in bent linkages, and metal fatigue in the attachment of the pedal to the floor pan . The attachment works like a hinge , 1 half welded to the floor , the other half being part of the pedal. As a result the carbie would only open around 75% under full acceleration. Big problem on a 34HP only engine. Grinding of the old hinge , finding a replacement and bolt through the floor , reshaping the linkage and putting it all back together took no time. The assembly now being nice and tight , opens up the carbie 100% under full acceleration. Did a Test drive and could not believe it . The little Kackler has gone mad , runs that much better , revving like their is no tomorrow. Big difference.

vw2.jpg

vw3.jpg

vw4.jpg

I had a similar but more dangerous occurrence many years ago where the pin detached due to wear and the pedal roller got jammed while driving. Thankfully freed it with my foot before any major damage was done to me or the car. Always best to catch these things early!

18 minutes ago, Eden said:

I had a similar but more dangerous occurrence many years ago where the pin detached due to wear and the pedal roller got jammed while driving. Thankfully freed it with my foot before any major damage was done to me or the car. Always best to catch these things early!

You might want talk to Niko about the backseat springs of his kackler causing the battery to throw sparks and ignite  a fire with passengers in the back , in Central Melbourne. Epic! :unsure:

37 minutes ago, Arne Krix said:

You might want talk to Niko about the backseat springs of his kackler causing the battery to throw sparks and ignite  a fire with passengers in the back , in Central Melbourne. Epic! :unsure:

Haha, sounds like a VW! The first one I owned (well I didn't actually get to own it) popped the fuel line off the carb on the way to the RWC place. Burned to a shell in minutes.