968 RS turbo ???

Found this Click Here

Now I gotta call BS on this one as only 4 were built globally and AFAIK they are all accounted for. The ad states it is 1 of 4 delivered in Australia but that can't be as the real ones were in US. I am wondering if this is one of the replica's Fitzy built ? In the ad they state that one just sold in US for $345000, but that one was real. Does anyone know anything about this car ? It looks nice but am thinking no way it is worth what is being asked 

TIA for any info

peace

Cyberpunky

Hi Bruce,

Yes it is one of Fitzys 4 replicas. He bought new 4 968 CS and factory RS parts for the conversion and as far as I know these are the only replicas that would be closest to the 4 factory originals.

I have had the privilege of sitting in it for laps of Sandown, the year before being in a GT3. Guess which one I enjoyed more !

I have been discussing with Fitzy and others what is required and which way to go with my project.

Rob who is selling the car said last night he was waiting for a phone call to confirm if the car was sold.

Value is always relative, but the more factory bits you have in a Porsche the higher in value you would expect it to be.

The cost of them at the time was posted in an article which I have somewhere and it was considerable.

What cost could I build mine and would it be worth more as a finished product (without factory bits), remains to be seen. Only a changing market at the time would show.

All I do know is, these cars are special to the people who appreciate them !

Cheers,Mark.

Ah that changes things a lot Mark. Have only heard great things about Fitzys cars. The add just seems to dance around the heritage of the car and made my spider senses tingle lol Always wondered what one of those would go for. Now I know... well I know what someone is asking anyway.

Hi Bruce,

Yes it is one of Fitzys 4 replicas. He bought new 4 968 CS and factory RS parts for the conversion and as far as I know these are the only replicas that would be closest to the 4 factory originals.

I have had the privilege of sitting in it for laps of Sandown, the year before being in a GT3. Guess which one I enjoyed more !

I have been discussing with Fitzy and others what is required and which way to go with my project.

Rob who is selling the car said last night he was waiting for a phone call to confirm if the car was sold.

Value is always relative, but the more factory bits you have in a Porsche the higher in value you would expect it to be.

The cost of them at the time was posted in an article which I have somewhere and it was considerable.

What cost could I build mine and would it be worth more as a finished product (without factory bits), remains to be seen. Only a changing market at the time would show.

All I do know is, these cars are special to the people who appreciate them !

Cheers,Mark.

This is all correct.

Its as close to a factory one as you are gonna get, for less money.

Factory Turbo S' in Germany were changeing hands for EUR90k about 3 years ago.

Super fast cars.

Supercars that will, in the right hands, out perform almost anything.

400Bhp and 500nm of Torque in 1100kgs.

Sounds like fun doesn't it?

Traction is an issue though.

This is a tricky one. On one hand it is meant to have a lot of factory parts which would make it close to an authentic clone but still won’t ever have the value of let’s face it, a car with very limited following Down Under. To add, the motor they used in the factory 968RS was purposely limited so it wouldn’t outshine the flagship 930 of the time. It’s an 8 valve rather than the 968’s 16v head. I’m sure it’s a nice car and in terms of money spent, would be well under the cost of building. Not sure if it’s an internet rumour but I had heard Fitz had issues with the headgaskets on these cars and only ran fairly low boost compared to what a lot of us run nowdays. Bear in mind, boost and headgaskets are an Achilles heels for these cars. There is headlift and blockflex to deal with, but you should be able to run more than 1 bar all the same. It's also saying only 360bhp which makes me believe that they're only running lowish boost.

Oh, and there’s no way it weighs 1100kgs. More like 1400kgs. Overall, in terms of spending that amount of money on this car vs something else, this car should give plenty of enjoyment both on and off the road/track.

"There is headlift and blockflex to deal with, but you should be able to run more than 1 bar all the same. It's also saying only 360bhp which makes me believe that they're only running lowish boost."

Patrick, what are the options with this issue.

I had the same issues with my old holden six on the gas(nitrous).

At the time I O ringed the block and used some other head studs and a trick copper gasket.

That helped, however that was a long time ago.

What is the modern fix on the 968 ?

Vas, the problem is with all of the i4 Porsche motors when under forced induction. The
2.5L 951 block is slightly different to the S2 and 968 block which have
sturdier blocks or cylinders as they are joined or Siamesed. The 2.5L cylinders
are fully floating.

As for the ‘fix’..well there are many different methods and many different theories about the cause. We
have been using metal Cometic headgaskets for a few years now. They still
suffer from a tearing/wearing movement but if you’re at the track you can just
turn the boost down and drive home as they seal enough for that. With stock
headgaskets it’s a tow job. I’ve also got larger headstuds a pinned girdle and
a deckplate. Combined with hopefully good tuning we can minimise the movement and
keep the headgasket sealing for longer. Some go as far as part filling the
block with some sort of cement type mix to stabilise the cylinders. To be fair,
these motors were designed way back in the 1970’s (although the 3L block would
be from the late ‘80’s I’m guessing) and they wouldn’t have built them to run
20psi + that some of us are now using on a daily basis. Oh, and many of us
running higher boost are using E85 as the fuel. Works very well. :)

Thanks for that, Patrick.

Great reply.  :)

Do you have a pic of the girdle and deck plate you use ?

And how did the E85 effect the fuel pump and line size choices ?

Sorry for all the questions.

Rather than clog up this thread Vas (and thanks for the interest) you can see pics on the first page of the build thread in my sig. As for the E85, yes you need to run bigger injectors and I'm running totally new/custom fuel lines with custom fuel system and 3x 044 fuel pump. Having said that, you don't need to go to those extremes to enjoy the fruits of E85 on a road car. Allow for about 25-30% more fuel use but it's cheaper than 98 let alone race fuel. 

sorry patrick, I stuffed those numbers. std 968 turbo s was 305bhp, 500nm and 1350kgs. the shame of it all :ph34r:

*Edit*

Or you can overcome head shuffle by re casting the blocks with thicker walls for stability and balance everything.

No Balance shafts.

Like ze cherman Dirk Baur did, sans boosty mc boost.

Not that the Turbo RS wasn't a fast car...but there are some much quicker examples of front engine water cooled Porsches out there nowadays. Hopefully Sean Buchanan dyno's his car oneday. Be interesting to see what hp/tq that's producing. 3L s2 turbo motor running 1.4bar on E85. Quick enough to rattle and pass a 997 GT2RS on the track late last year. 

As for having a custom block/head re cast...Sure, you paying?  :D You should get change out of $30k for the R&D + finished product. Sign me up! 

That's a very good time in an n/a 968 around the 'ring. Wonder why they call that car an RS though? Maybe it was just a play on other RS Porsches. 

Archived