Porsche 996 locked out

Hi All,

Needs some advice on my 996 2001 coupe it's the last of the Mk1's and has the electric boot and engine lid. 

I bought it a couple of months ago and it's been driven at least once a week no problem at all. Until recently I left it for around 10 days without starting it. 

I went to open it and the fob didn't work, I gave it a new battery so no problem with that bit. I have been told the immobiliser can go into sleep mode after 5 days if not used, then the key needs to be used manually and the the ignition switched on to reset. The immobiliser light is still flashing as normal.

I tried the key in the driver's door and that's doesn't work I think there may be a problem with the pin in the lock I never used it before so didn't come up as an issue, potentially the lock  needs to be replaced.

Problem is I can't get in the car at all, I was thinking maybe the car battery has run down that's why the fob wont work. The alarm certainly works though it went off while trying to get in the fob did nothing to switch it off, it just stopped after 5 minutes or so.

I was thinking I should first try to check/charge the battery but I can't get into the bonnet to do it. 
I know there is a emergency release behind the headlight but to get to that you really have to take off the front tyre and the lock nut key is in the car and even then it's a nightmare to get to.

My mechanic advised there is another charging point underneath the car near the transmission couldn't find that unfortunately.

Other advice has told me that even if the battery was low and I did manage to get into the bonnet to charge. I would still need to get in manuely with the key to do the immobiliser reset.

Other than breaking a window does any have any ideas?

Apologies for the long winded post!

You can try to access to the Engine compartment Battery Jumper lug - using the rear (left Bumper access) emergency cable and jump start the car.  Remove three screws - one up in the wheel-well and two at the bottom of the bumper. The cable "should be" between the heat shield and the plastic Bumper cover just ahead of the left tail light. You should be able to charge sufficiently (or jump to a charged battery) and then use the fob to open.

YouTube is your friend here.

There are plenty of posts on how to access the bonnet release cable. I don't think the wheel has to come off. I think the bumper has to.

For next time and future runs, I do the following religiously ... as I'm nudging in the garage after a fun day of driving, I pop the bonnet and leave it open. I also leave the car unlocked in the garage. I've never needed these measures to save me, but hey, maybe one day they will.

49 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

For next time and future runs, I do the following religiously ... as I'm nudging in the garage after a fun day of driving, I pop the bonnet and leave it open. I also leave the car unlocked in the garage. I've never needed these measures to save me, but hey, maybe one day they will.

^^This - my car goes onto a C-Tek trickle charger and remains unlocked.  I also found a good set of instructions for moving the respective emergency cables from their factory ridiculous locations to accessible locations for actual emergency use...

On my old Boxster, it actually had the issue you describe, the key in the door barrel does nothing, and that is because the retainer clip can come free, therefor the latch on the back of the barrel is in free spin.. unless you can get the remote locking to work, you’ll need to use one of the emergency routes in… but the fix was pretty simple, pop the door card off and reconnect the linkage to the latch! 

im with others here, I don’t tend to lock my cars either as that deadlock after 5 days always catches me out, usually at 6am 😂