Current 18" Tyre availability??

Just been contemplating tyres for the 18x10 and 18x8 rims I'm sourcing, and it looks as though current availability of matching fronts and rears is an issue, eg can get 285/30 PS4S, but no 225/40 fronts available.  A052s and RE71RS look to be available in both sizes, as would Direzza DZ03s, but I'm not sure I want to go with semi race tyres for the usage this car will see.  Usage will be predominantly road, with perhaps a track day thrown in.  Got to say the DZ03's on the GT3 were very impressive for the price, so they are still tempting....

I do have a brand new set of V701s that came with the car, but rears are 265/35.  The 265/35 does fit the 10", but 285/30 probably a better fit.  The V701 doesn't seem to be regarded as a performance tyre in our circles, but has anyone seriously tried them?  I guess I could just swap these onto the new rims and give them a try???

Thoughts?  What have you guys been able to source in the last couple of weeks??

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Just been contemplating tyres for the 18x10 and 18x8 rims I'm sourcing, and it looks as though current availability of matching fronts and rears is an issue, eg can get 285/30 PS4S, but no 225/40 fronts available.  A052s and RE71RS look to be available in both sizes, as would Direzza DZ03s, but I'm not sure I want to go with semi race tyres for the usage this car will see.  Usage will be predominantly road, with perhaps a track day thrown in.  Got to say the DZ03's on the GT3 were very impressive for the price, so they are still tempting....

I do have a brand new set of V701s that came with the car, but rears are 265/35.  The 265/35 does fit the 10", but 285/30 probably a better fit.  The V701 doesn't seem to be regarded as a performance tyre in our circles, but has anyone seriously tried them?  I guess I could just swap these onto the new rims and give them a try???

Thoughts?  What have you guys been able to source in the last couple of weeks??

When I got the Oz rims the tires were dated as 10 years old + one of rears had been driven flat and there was ground rubber inside the tire.
Got Pirelli PZero 225/40 (8’) and 265/35 (10’)  x 18 same day in Melbourne, as you found PS4s were not available in larger size.

24 minutes ago, Mttel said:

When I got the Oz rims the tires were dated as 10 years old + one of rears had been driven flat and there was ground rubber inside the tire.
Got Pirelli PZero 225/40 (8’) and 265/35 (10’)  x 18 same day in Melbourne, as you found PS4s were not available in larger size.

PZero a no go as I've hated every set that have been on cars I'd purchased....

I went for the Mitchy PS4S 295 x30 x18 for the rears on the 6.2 mainly because they were all I could find in 295 at the time, It had continentals on the the car went I acquired the car and stayed with the size as it worked , But in my opinion the Mitchy's are the go, Still have continentals on the front as still good rubber to wear down but will be going to the Mitchy's when it's time :)

Noted and genuinely interested in what you don’t like about them. You are definitely more of a driver than me, at best I’m a weekend tourist.

I had to throw a pair of Falkens on the back of the Boxster couple years ago in Launceston (shredded them in the quartz gravel at Freycinet) and find that they are slippery/ loose when pushed moderately in the twisties.

M

10 hours ago, tomo said:

I went for the Mitchy PS4S 295 x30 x18 for the rears on the 6.2 mainly because they were all I could find in 295 at the time, It had continentals on the the car went I acquired the car and stayed with the size as it worked , But in my opinion the Mitchy's are the go, Still have continentals on the front as still good rubber to wear down but will be going to the Mitchy's when it's time :)

It may be that I go with these first, grab them while they're available, and put in an order for the fronts for whenever they are back in stock.  I will have some work to do on the wheels  which may take some time, so it may be the fronts are available by the time everything's ready......

10 hours ago, Mttel said:

Noted and genuinely interested in what you don’t like about them. You are definitely more of a driver than me, at best I’m a weekend tourist.

I had to throw a pair of Falkens on the back of the Boxster couple years ago in Launceston (shredded them in the quartz gravel at Freycinet) and find that they are slippery/ loose when pushed moderately in the twisties.

M

Just never liked the feel of the P Zeros - purely personal opinion.  But then again, we had some Falken  FK510's on the back our 987, and thought they were great tyres.  Go figure!!

15 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

I've ran these on the  18" Oz wheels and highly rate then for road and track

https://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/au/bridgestone/potenza/re_71rs#available-sizes_rimdiameter=18

They're on the possibles list, but look to be more expensive than the PS4S??

18 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

PZero a no go as I've hated every set that have been on cars I'd purchased....

Interesting, my car came with PZeros and have not found any issues with them.

But then again I have not been able to compare them against anything either.

One day when I do finally change them over I am sooo expecting big things after the negative feedback they get.

I've got PS4's and A052's (they were 2nd hand to me) in 18's.

The A052 are not something you'd daily or push in the wet on normal roads as they don;t get hot enough.

PS4's I like in 18's

I daily 19's with Continental Sportcontact 6 and love them. Reviews are the new Contactsport 7's are even better.