996 Minor parts assistance

Skafhold911

Hi All,

I’ve now had my turbo for a year or so, and looking to have a few items resolved with it. Hopefully some helpful info from those much more knowledgeable then me. An acquaintance who is across older Porsches suggested best place to sort parts would be pelicans. Wondering if generally people agree or easier avenues for Aussies?

1. I recently collected the original turbo twist wheels from the seller, however they were missing centre caps. When I go to pelicans parts, I have 3 options, colour Porsche emblem, Black and whites Porsche emblem and ‘turbo’. What would have been original with a 2003 turbo.

2. The car did not come with a toolkit. Where would I locate an original and what is that one? For example on pelican parts, there are quite a few options of tool kits.

3. The car was lowered slightly, and front spoiler is cracked. I’m hoping I can replace with black rather then having to paint. Is this the part and do I just need this and it is an easy swap over?https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9965053550001C.htm?pn=996-505-355-00-01C-OEM

4. Rear brake light could use updating. Rubber seal is almost gone, so light sitting unevenly. Could this be located on pelicans and simply swapped too?

Couple pictures for reference.

Thanks for any assistance 

0861B481-A78E-4E79-90B7-466890634E87.jpeg

62D8B27B-A851-4E4A-A59E-13D37D150D03.jpeg

4 hours ago, Skafhold911 said:

Hi All,

I’ve now had my turbo for a year or so, and looking to have a few items resolved with it. Hopefully some helpful info from those much more knowledgeable then me. An acquaintance who is across older Porsches suggested best place to sort parts would be pelicans. Wondering if generally people agree or easier avenues for Aussies?

1. I recently collected the original turbo twist wheels from the seller, however they were missing centre caps. When I go to pelicans parts, I have 3 options, colour Porsche emblem, Black and whites Porsche emblem and ‘turbo’. What would have been original with a 2003 turbo.

2. The car did not come with a toolkit. Where would I locate an original and what is that one? For example on pelican parts, there are quite a few options of tool kits.

3. The car was lowered slightly, and front spoiler is cracked. I’m hoping I can replace with black rather then having to paint. Is this the part and do I just need this and it is an easy swap over?https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/9965053550001C.htm?pn=996-505-355-00-01C-OEM

4. Rear brake light could use updating. Rubber seal is almost gone, so light sitting unevenly. Could this be located on pelicans and simply swapped too?

Couple pictures for reference.

Thanks for any assistance 

0861B481-A78E-4E79-90B7-466890634E87.jpeg

62D8B27B-A851-4E4A-A59E-13D37D150D03.jpeg

Mainly precovid so market may have changed but based on my experience of buying over 700 parts numbers ( yeah lots of bolts and washers in that)  for a boosted twin turbo audi, 996 turbo and an m3 heres my list.

1) easy  square in netherlands but you need to send a parts list and they give a quote.  But i heard they recently stopped serving oz customers. 

2 ) fcp euro in the US are the best in the business shipping cost wise and their estimated freight costs are spot on.  Never order just  one part  but.  .  I 'll dollar cost average and pick up maintenance  genuine parts for either the 996 turbo or beamer  or mrs' touareg  until the tipping point where the freight cost jumps up a bit  Also best to have a cart, save it and  leave it for 24 hrs and they used to send an email with a 5% discount incentive on parts   to hit the buy button.  Just helps offset a bit of the freight cost.

Problem with fcp is limited number parts for a 996 turbo.

3)Rosepassion europe is ok

4) design 911  in uk are pretty good and have the best general  discounts / sales.  But shipping can be high

5) ECS in the US have the best website to lookup parts with prices  but there shipping rates are terrible.

Need to be careful with some parts numbers eg lhd vs rhd.

I tend to look at what fx rates are doing

As for calls that local is cheaper landed perhaps if you arent as  anal as me with a preference for stamped porsche   factory numbers, but  I call BS based on my experience  on genuine stamped part numbers if you have the time and patience and not in a rush to get the parts. 

I just pulled out my spare splitter yet to be installed.  I guess black duct tape does a  better job  on black than grey on artic / gt  silver? Refer to part number in the pic for my  2003 996 turbo splitter.  Just watch the shipping cost.  

PS I am not at stock ride height and reckon one month with that new splitter and it will be split again.  Colour coded not for me as they dont re spond as well to application of Stoners tyre shine.  

Turbo cap if it was me. 

20220729_002057.jpg

On 29/07/2022 at 03:05, smit2100 said:

Mainly precovid so market may have changed but based on my experience of buying over 700 parts numbers ( yeah lots of bolts and washers in that)  for a boosted twin turbo audi, 996 turbo and an m3 heres my list.

1) easy  square in netherlands but you need to send a parts list and they give a quote.  But i heard they recently stopped serving oz customers. 

2 ) fcp euro in the US are the best in the business shipping cost wise and their estimated freight costs are spot on.  Never order just  one part  but.  .  I 'll dollar cost average and pick up maintenance  genuine parts for either the 996 turbo or beamer  or mrs' touareg  until the tipping point where the freight cost jumps up a bit  Also best to have a cart, save it and  leave it for 24 hrs and they used to send an email with a 5% discount incentive on parts   to hit the buy button.  Just helps offset a bit of the freight cost.

Problem with fcp is limited number parts for a 996 turbo.

3)Rosepassion europe is ok

4) design 911  in uk are pretty good and have the best general  discounts / sales.  But shipping can be high

5) ECS in the US have the best website to lookup parts with prices  but there shipping rates are terrible.

Need to be careful with some parts numbers eg lhd vs rhd.

I tend to look at what fx rates are doing

As for calls that local is cheaper landed perhaps if you arent as  anal as me with a preference for stamped porsche   factory numbers, but  I call BS based on my experience  on genuine stamped part numbers if you have the time and patience and not in a rush to get the parts. 

I just pulled out my spare splitter yet to be installed.  I guess black duct tape does a  better job  on black than grey on artic / gt  silver? Refer to part number in the pic for my  2003 996 turbo splitter.  Just watch the shipping cost.  

PS I am not at stock ride height and reckon one month with that new splitter and it will be split again.  Colour coded not for me as they dont re spond as well to application of Stoners tyre shine.  

Turbo cap if it was me. 

20220729_002057.jpg

Thanks.

I will explore those options and see what comes up as most economical.

On 29/07/2022 at 05:35, 1q2w3e4r said:

Suncoast should have all of the stuff you're after?  https://www.suncoastparts.com/category/996Turbo.html

I'd probably just get the front splitter locally. 

Thanks.

Why not get splitter through them? Locally as in Porsche centre?

13 hours ago, LeeM said:

I hope you're not changing the rims back to twists, as this car looks mint as it is! 

Haha!

Right now I am not, but I want the complete set for my wheels.

Although I love this current look, there is something that is pulling me to bring it back to ‘original’