Buying wheels from overseas

MARTY

I'm currently undecided to buy some Bbs Lm wheels for my car from a dealer in the UK the price seems reasonable but I'll have to wait for up to 12 months. My question is do you just pay the gst on anything bought from overseas once it is delivered?

In an ideal world I'd buy some second hand but I've noticed recently a few people asking a similar question so I'd be happy to wait the 12 months 

1 hour ago, MARTY said:

I'm currently undecided to buy some Bbs Lm wheels for my car from a dealer in the UK the price seems reasonable but I'll have to wait for up to 12 months. My question is do you just pay the gst on anything bought from overseas once it is delivered?

In an ideal world I'd buy some second hand but I've noticed recently a few people asking a similar question so I'd be happy to wait the 12 months 

I bought some wheels years ago for a Saab from germany, wheels looked amazing till Bob jane said there was a hairline crack and refused to fit tyres.

seller said it must have been transport, lost pretty much most of the money as only bought 4 wheels and sold as scrap.

May is suggest buy new and locally, poor man pays twice.

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I'm sure you've looked further into this, but it looks like narrowest wheel is 8.5" in 18" - too wide for a 996 front????

Mine at the moment is running sport classic 2 wheels the front is a 18x7.5  at the time I thought they were 8 inch wide but I was told it would be a special order so would be fine 

I bought genuine Porsche 18 inch GT3 wheels from a Porsche dealer in the US years ago (as well as tyres from Tire Rack) , paid shippings costs $500 and GST etc and still saved ove $3500 over what the local Porsche dealer wanted to charge me and they were here sooner than the dealer could get them.  We get ripped off here. (although I have noticed it is a LOT better now then it was back then)

21 minutes ago, Shane911 said:

I bought genuine Porsche 18 inch GT3 wheels from a Porsche dealer in the US years ago (as well as tyres from Tire Rack) , paid shippings costs $500 and GST etc and still saved ove $3500 over what the local Porsche dealer wanted to charge me and they were here sooner than the dealer could get them.  We get ripped off here. (although I have noticed it is a LOT better now then it was back then)

You're right, it is better now ... but only marginally. We're still getting fingered here on a lot of items. I still check local pricing when buying parts but find that 8 out of 10 times I can get it cheaper from OS.

9 hours ago, MARTY said:

It’s hit and miss. I buy a lot from the U.K. (classic British cars I’m restoring) and if the invoice is sub $1000 most places don’t recover the GST, they leave it to the shipper and you get the import duties as well. Over $1000 they charge the gst and you might get nailed for import duties when it gets here.

I bought a set of Fuchs new, direct from FuchsFelge and they arrived without GST or import duty via DHL, who normally ping me every time for duties. Conversely I had 2 sets of Minilites from the U.K. direct from Minilite and both sets ended up with duties on them. Expect to pay and if you don’t, then it’s a bonus. 

You will have to pay import fees and GST on them. Yes they may be cheaper than buying local, but the downside is as posted. I have BBS CH-R's on my 996 (see avatar) and bought them locally as the difference was <A$500 however I get them locally warranted. I did as you may have to wait 9+months 

• 2 months later...

I recently found that even with the shipping, fx, Gst and duty I was still significantly in front.   The biggest thing with BBS was locally everyone wants full price upfront, no price guarantee, that was a deal breaker for me, so I bought from the US, $500 deposit, with price guarantee, only risk is on the fx…