All Irish bike racing cancelled

LeeM

For those interested in real bike road racing. All Irish events have been cancelled due to insurance costs.

This is huge and very sad news for bike racing in Ireland, as it is one of the most popular sports in that country which is a big contributor to the tourism economy.

Let's hope it doesn't affect the Isle of Man and other events.

https://www.autosport.com/roadracing/news/all-motorcycle-road-racing-in-northern-ireland-cancelled-brexit-blamed/10430170/

Well I know the competitors are spending a shedload of their own cash with entry fees and the running of their bikes to provide the spectacle with their chosen sport...and they are well aware of the risks...the same as any other motorsport.

I do agree that the spectators need to start paying an entry fee to watch to ease the costs for the organisers. 

I really can't see Irish road racing stop dead, as it's too beneficial for all the local economies when they nearly rely on that income to survive

My BiL is massively pissed off about this, he retired from track racing last year as champion 3rd time round in his championship and had planned to switch to road racing, he has a desire (not shared by us) to do the IoM TT, for which you need solid experience of road racing before they’ll let you enter.

Yeah @Mike-S A mate of mine is one of the top 5 Superbike guys at the IOM (Davo Johnson), and I believe he was hoping to do the Northwest and possibly other higher profile Irish racing, as that pays his bills as a pro rider.  

I'm hoping it doesn't have an effect on the IOM in the future, as most of the Irish up and comers get their experience on the smaller tracks. Davo once told me that it takes years to learn the IOM, so it's definitely not for the inexperienced. Just watch any onboard videos to see that! 

The public will just have to start paying a spectator fee if they want it to survive