996 Steering Wheel Spacer

AndrewM

Has anyone installed a steering wheel spacer in their 996?

https://www.spacershop.com/en/product/porsche-996-steering-wheel-spacer/

Removing the centre console would improve the seating position, however being able to move the wheel back so I can extend my legs further would help even more!.

(Long legs, short arms) - Colour image chosen to highlight spacer....

image.png.d1d9fb65cdc78789f96787ef2a5630c0.png

Design911 seems to have a few variations for sale:

* https://www.design911.com/p/porsche-steering-wheel-extender-9products-9p-ext97/
* https://www.design911.com/p/porsche-996-993-986-boxster-steering-wheel-spacer/
https://www.design911.com/p/steering-wheel-extender---spacer-porsche-986-boxster----993---996----9products/

I can't comment on the steering wheel spacer, but the centre console delete option makes a surprisingly large difference.

I am six foot four and previously I had to remove the footrest in order to fit my left leg between the steering wheel and centre console.

Removing the centre console made a huge difference in terms of leg room and enabled me to refit the foot rest and to comfortably fit my legs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/02/2023 at 17:53, Carrera28 said:

I can't comment on the steering wheel spacer, but the centre console delete option makes a surprisingly large difference.

I am six foot four and previously I had to remove the footrest in order to fit my left leg between the steering wheel and centre console.

Removing the centre console made a huge difference in terms of leg room and enabled me to refit the foot rest and to comfortably fit my legs.

@michel is developing a 3D printed centre console delete, touch base with him if anyone is interested.....

8 minutes ago, Carrera28 said:

I would love something like this:

il_794xN.3976482585_5l5e.jpg

But instead of a gauge I would like a slot for my mobile phone.

I have one of these I bought off an ETSY seller. Going to use it for boost and AFR when the supercharger is on the car.

On 15/03/2023 at 15:53, TwoHeadsTas said:

@michel is developing a 3D printed centre console delete, touch base with him if anyone is interested.....

this is what I am doing 

https://instagram.com/p/CppcFKYO-4c/

and trying too sort out with a mate a DBL DIN install allowing new HVAC controls with OEM looks and the console delete 

Always wondered whether it would create enough room if you "stick" the HVAC controls underneath the dashboard - just further back towards the firewall...

Something like the thing below only ideally smaller, narrower for hvac and rounded so you don't hurt yourself if you bump it...
And probably a small pocket under that to store a mobile phone....

image.png.683330e3fae6c69f7ebd83aa759c10d7.png

This would only be necessary if you wanted to put a double Din system in.  My 996.1 GT3 which had the console delete, had the HVAC controls and a Continental bluetooth audio unit in the dash, which fitted neatly without resorting to something like this.  Have the same unit in my current 996.1 C2 and the only thing in the console is the CD storage and the "junk" bin.  I'd recommend a Quadlock mounting system for your phone if you do the console delete.  They now have a really good mount that I've currently put on the dash above the top of the horseshoe

1 hour ago, AndrewM said:

Always wondered whether it would create enough room if you "stick" the HVAC controls underneath the dashboard - just further back towards the firewall...

Something like the thing below only ideally smaller, narrower for hvac and rounded so you don't hurt yourself if you bump it...
And probably a small pocket under that to store a mobile phone....

image.png.683330e3fae6c69f7ebd83aa759c10d7.png

2 hours ago, AndrewM said:

This was the function first kit which lifts the shifter a little and replaces the centre console. I think they stopped making this a while back. :(

The lift for the entire centre console was discontinued 

as mentioned with a made due to our dbl din and wanting a gt3/Boxster delete and maintain. HVAC . We are now making a custom HVAC unit which of successful will fit neatly in the dash and have an OEM look - while retaining the OEM cup holder ( which I never use 

Just now, michel said:

The lift for the entire centre console was discontinued 

as mentioned with a made due to our dbl din and wanting a gt3/Boxster delete and maintain. HVAC . We are now making a custom HVAC unit which of successful will fit neatly in the dash and have an OEM look - while retaining the OEM cup holder ( which I never use 

wish I had a cup holder 🙂